“Overcharged but still good value”

and 1 more site!
Mariner Motor Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Vancouver
“Overcharged but still good value”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Last time we were here we stayed at the Holiday Inn. Exceptional service, modern rooms, hearty breakfast, newspapers and nice lounge. But there was a charge to use a small fitness room and the rooms were very expensive. So this time we took the budget route. All hotels/motels look the same from the back of your eyelids and since most of what we do is sleep in these places, we didn't need modern rooms.

We checked in and the desk clerk seemed unfamiliar with the motel - subbing in for a friend perhaps. So when we pointed out there was a modest overcharge (approx $10), he couldn't correct it and nor did the primary desk person, whom he called to address the situation. Had that been addressed, I would have given a higher rating. The fellow, however, was very friendly and encouraged us to contact him if we needed anything at all. He showed us the beverage room where there is a microwave and teas, which is a nice touch.

Otherwise, the room appeared clean, water pressure was good, it was very quiet (could have been the time of year too) and for a budget motel, the little extras were a nice touch.
I have to wonder if the owners have been listening as there was an air conditioner in our room. Not professionally installed - just a hole cut into the wood to give it access to outside and then covered with packing tape to hold it in. We didn't try it. It's fall, so we didn't need it (we needed heat which was slow to come on but worked just fine).

Pros: Price, decent breakfast (7 types of bread/bagels, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee), access to a mircowave, fridges in the rooms. The Queen room is the smallest/simplest and ours had a fold out couch and desk as well. Free internet. 1 km from downtown Collingwood. Half a block to a nice walking/running trail.

Cons: Our room (#42) smelled of B.O. We should have but didn't ask for another room.

The Mariner had what we needed in a motel. We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 42 (maybe smell the room first before accepting?) We stayed on the side on a quiet stre...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PlateIt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Hi,

I travel the province regularly & have stayed in several hotels around Ontario since March, 2011. The Mariner came up on my GPS; I had no prior experience with it & called. I checked in, and was delighted to learn of free unlimited continental breakfast every morning (eggs, milk, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, several kinds of fresh bread), this saved me lots of time, $$, and effort.

There is also full-time access to tea, coffee, a microwave, & ice machine. The A/C unit was effective & fairly quiet. the ceiling fan certainly helped as well in the summer heat. The fridge was large & well-placed, the desk was a little bit small but sufficient (my laptop is oversized).

The sink in the 3 piece washroom was a little bit outdated, but the rest of it was fine. Staff are very friendly, and available at all times. I met a few regulars who stay at the Mariner every time they visit, & loyal guests are the best indicator of great accommodation.

The convenience of ground floor lodging, and designated parking makes this very good accommodation for the price. The fast wireless internet & free unlimited 'help yourself' breakfast clinched the deal for me.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank sh g
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We are 15 years clients every Jul,y this year I had called the owner the day before to make sure the air was working as we knew the weather was going to be really hot.When we got there on the Thursday around 3.00, we noticed how hot it was in the entrance,booked in and asked if the air was on, he said yes, when we entered the room you can't imagine how hot it was , we turned it on and guess what hot air was coming in, that did it for me, I tried to talk to him but he was busy with the air conditioning guy on the roof, we decided to leave as I could not breath and did not want to take a chance staying. He put the charge on my card the day we left and charged us for 3 nights ( 471.00) He refuses to refund,even though he rented the room to someone else. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank celvis

Travellers are raving about these Collingwood hotels

Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2011

we were 4 family stayed at motel for 2 nights.
the service was excellent, staff very friendly and supportive.
decent rooms.. competitive rates...
nice backyard to spend evening with family and friends.

this was our second trip to Collingwood and we stayed in same motel.. and we will for sure give first preference to this motel up on our next visit to collingwood

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Krupesh12
London, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I foolishly booked a business trip here, sight unseen, last fall based on all of the glowing reviews, and the Mariner's proximity to the local hospital. The Mariner's website spoke of "European charm" and warm hospitality. I can honestly say it is one of the worst dumps I have ever stayed in, and that's saying something!

When I checked in around 9:00 pm, there were no staff members to be found. Someone finally appeared about 10 minutes later. My gut reaction was to cancel the reservation, but it was late, and I thought, "How bad can it be?" When I reached my room, I was sorry that I hadn't followed my initial instincts. Far from charming, the decor of the tiny room was tired and dated, with generous amounts of packing tape holding both the air conditioner, and some of the panelling, in place. The room was hardly oozing "European elegance", as stated on their website! Trust me, the Mariner is nostalgic only if you have a thing for prison movies. The bedspread appeared to be the original from opening day back in the 50's, and the linens were thread bare, at best. The place was dark, cold, and creepy. All it needed was Jack Nicholson, an axe, and a little, "Heeeere's Johnny!"

Early next morning, I found the restaurant section deserted, with nothing but a large sink full of dirty dishes to greet me. There was no sign of any free Continental breakfast, or any other guests for that matter. I understand that the management has changed recently, and the poor quality of the hotel reflects that. If you are looking for bargain basement accommodations, this is your place. If not, take some good advice, and stay somewhere else. The glory days of this disaster are long gone!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank EndlessSummer29
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 7 January 2010

So they changed the owners, and price is a little more than it was 2 years ago. But I wont complain, I'll just blame it on inflation. Rooms are still cheaper than the Holiday Inn and Days Inn by like $40 a night.

Still doesnt take away the fact that this hotel is centrally located. Close to Blue Mountain, Scandinavian Spa, the restaurants and cinema. Wife tells me we should go to Holiday Inn next time, but being thrifty, I like this place. lol.

Breakfast is ok, but not great.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FamilyOfFour_YYZ
Mississauga
Reviewed 21 August 2009

I booked a room there online and when I got there there were new owners. I was quoted a price with the previous owners and when I got there the new owner charged us more.My husband and I were up all night because there was no A/C in the room. Then when we went for Breakfast the next moring we found some old bananas, a box of twinkies and open boxes of cereal which we were afraid to eat cause we didn't know how long they had been sitting there. We had no choice cause all the motels around were full and we were from out of the area but we were even afaid to sleep on the sheets cause we didn't know if they were ever changed or if the beds just got made up after each guest left.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jsoufer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
2.2 km away
8.7 km away
Blue Mountain Inn
Blue Mountain Inn
#4 of 8 in Blue Mountains

Been to Mariner Motor Hotel? Share your experiences!