All reviewsphotography workshopdining roomfine diningdella casapresidential suitesmall balconyvealold world charmcomfortable bedblown awayseparate showerself servesuperior roombreakfast was includedsitting areanext morningwing chairs
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Well worth a stay on any occasion as base for touring theNorthumberland County region . Has a very good restaurant in which the excellent included breakfast is provided. Dinner menu is worth a try employing regional cuisine. The staff is very pleasant and dedicated to true service to their clients!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My family and I had a wonderful dinner at the Woodlawn, paired with an excellent Syrah recommended by the Sommelier Stephen. Vine ripened tomatoes with Fiore di latte and pesto to start, wild boar ravioli and some coffee and a fantastic flourless chocolate espresso cake for dessert.
Remarkably reasonable for the quality. Great service and phenomenal food. The Woodlawn Inn is worth a visit just for dinner!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stephen Della-Casa, the Innkeeper was so nice to chat with. He made us feel special. We stayed only one night but wished we could have stayed longer. The room was spacious and clean. The in hotel restaurant was superb and the prices were reasonable. All the staff were great, friendly and down to earth. While there was no elevator to get to our second floor room, the main floor was quite accessible. It is walking distance to the lake, albeit a bit long walk. It is easy to get to the highway upon departure.
I loved the outdoor patio where I could enjoy a cognac and cigar after a delicious meal.
This inn has been in the family for over 20 years.
It is a place we would return to on our next trip through Ontario.

Room Tip: Pack a light bag to bring to the room as there is no elevator that we saw.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robertrmpls
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This Inn is so wonderful. As soon as you walk in the main doors you know you have something special. Well appointed spacious rooms furnished with antiques (and a large flat screen tv), very friendly staff and a fantastic breakfast was included. We liked it so much we are going back next month. We booked this visit as we were checking out from out last visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The Woodlawn Inn is a nice, quiet little inn within the not-so-exciting town of Coburg. Likely this is a place for older folks (like 50+) and not for people my age (under 30). Also, I don't think young children would be greatly appreciated here (note: it's QUIET), so families may want to steer clear of this Inn.

Here is my breakdown of pros & cons:

Pros
-large room & en suite bathroom
-decent breakfast included in the price per night
-courteous service at the front desk & from the manager (he was especially great as he is apparently a hobby photographer & took some excellent shots for us of my husband, myself & our friends)
-we were at the Inn with our friends (another couple) and they gave us a free upgrade to two rooms that have a separate, private sitting area (basically like a shared living room & then our private rooms & bathrooms were connected to it). This was very nice of them to do without us even asking, however, I can't say we really took advantage of the private sitting area.
-food quality in the dining room for dinner & breakfast was decent, perhaps slightly above average. Please note that we are gourmet/high-quality food people so our expectations are higher than the average person. I would say for the average person, the food would exceed your expectations.

Cons
-no balconies in the rooms (this would have been more appreciated than the private sitting room, since it was July during our stay; I can see how the sitting area would be better in the winter, as it had a fireplace for your use)
-needs some serious updating with their decor (stuck in the 70's & 80's I think; lots of florals, chintz & just very dated, fussy decor)
-funky smells (my friend who we traveled with is pregnant & unfortunately their room was over top the kitchen, so they had a constant propane/natural gas smell throughout their day...much to her delight)
-dining room service was severely lacking. Our dinner server was a very awkward man who didn't know how to speak to people or express himself. There were some issues with our bill that resulted in an error & also he made some assumptions about what we were ordering that were incorrect (and resulted in a higher bill than what we have intended). If he had asked some questions & expressed himself clearly, there wouldn't have been a problem.
-breakfast room service was also lacking. The young lady who sets up the breakfast is well, young, and likely inexperienced for a place like Woodlawn Inn. I think this is just a maturity thing, not really her fault, but more so that of the management who hired her. Also, the breakfast room needs two servers, not just one, so this young lady was over-worked, on top of being inexperienced.
-overhearing staff complaining about wages & work hours. Seriously?!?!? No greater indicator of an unhappy work environment when every time you turn a corner, you see two employees complaining about their pay or time off, etc.

Room Tip: Don't stay on top of the kitchen!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trvlwrldgrl
SLRShutterbug, Manager at The Woodlawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2011

Dear Beachy 82

Thanks for your recent review of our historic property!. I am the person that took the photographs of you, your husband and friends and I’m glad that you found them excellent! I’m sorry that you did not have a great time with us. I will work with the service staff to provide better service and apologize if they offended you. We hope to see you again soon in our lovely, quiet town of Cobourg.