“All mod cons with a wilderness feel. Friendly and cosy.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Terrace
Pioneer Fishing Lodge
Vancouver, Canada
“All mod cons with a wilderness feel. Friendly and cosy.”
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We based our tour of the area from this little gem. We had a delightful log cabin with very comfortable beds. The water is from their licenced well and great to drink and shower in! The main lodge is a separate building where everyone can get together and eat and drink, and the food was really good. Huge portions. We intended to just stay as B&B but actually ate there most nights too. The 2 stuffed bear cubs were a popular photo attraction!
The best part of our stay was the warm and friendly atmosphere, their attention to deatil was great and they helped us find something cool to do everyday - including catching my first salmon!
The downside - it's 13km out of town so no good if you're after wild nightlife - but for us who wanted a quiet and romantic get away it was perfect.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
La Ronge, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Pioneer Fishing Lodge for a few days. Jezz and Pip gave me a big welcome, as did their dog and cats, which made me feel right at home. I stayed in my own cabin which had two bedrooms a nice bathroom and a really comfortable bed. At night the stars were captivating and I was able to sit on the deck and enjoy the sounds of nature and a cat purring. Each morning Jezz and Pip served a huge breakfast of eggs, bacon, fresh fruit etc., only to be out done by and even nicer dinner which I will refer to as fine dining. They probably thought it was my last meal as I really put it away.
Although I didn’t have time to go fishing I met a pair of Italian fishermen staying at the lodge that were having the time of their life. The Steelhead fishing was really strong and the Pioneer guide had definitely impressed them. The fish I’m holding is an exact replica of a 99lb Chinook that a Pioneer guest caught and then released so that it could spawn.
While I was in Terrace I went to Nisga'a Memorial Lava Bed Park. This is the site of a volcanic eruption which occurred approximately 250 years. It’s an hour drive north of Terrace and the scenery is beautiful. I also went south to Lakelse Lake. The river upstream of the lake was full of thousands of red spawning Sockeye Salmon. On Saturday I went to the Terrace farmers market for a great lunch which included Salmon seafood soup.
As I left for the airport I thanked Jezz and Pip for their hospitality. I really felt like an invited guest and look forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank HakesTravellers
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 September 2010

From the moment you step on the plane at Vancouver you know you are getting away from it all.

Jezz and Pip, the owners of PFL, were at the airport to meet our plane and from then on in we were continually impressed with ther service. Not that they are in your face. They have a wealth of knowledge, are accommodating and interesting and have up to the minute info on what's running on the river and where to go to find it. They were there if we needed them. The lodge is high on the comfort factor and exceedingly pretty with far reachng mammouth views of BC's best selling point, it's scenery. It is close enough to town to not feel isolated but far enough out to know you are sitting on the edge of this magnificent rainforest.

Food was excellent and Pip even went to the trouble of getting in our favourite tipple.

Wildlife is everywhere. We didn't see the famous Kermodei bear, the 'spirit bear', who lives only in this part of BC, but we are hoping the next time we will. We didn't catch that 99 pounder to match the one caught out of this lodge beforetimes, but next time we will. A return visit is high on our list.

• Stayed July 2010
St. Ouen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Very enjoyable holiday staying in a beautiful place in our own log cabin, owners very welcoming and friendly and are, with justification very proud of their Lodge.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Great location, food and hosts - a great place! Very convenient for the local airport and a gateway to the superb wilderness. You can do as much or as little as you want and the cabins are really snug and cosy - very relaxing. Great local fishing and excellent guides who really know their stuff.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple