“Great Location; Good Value”
Review of Powder Springs Inn

Powder Springs Inn
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Revelstoke
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Location; Good Value”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

There's a lot to like about this centrally located Inn, within easy walking distance of Revelstoke's whole downtown. The rooms are very clean, spacious and oak-beamed. The lobby has several spacious sitting areas - one with a fireplace. There are display cases scattered around the halls and lobby, showing pictures and artifacts from the region's history. Staying here is like staying at a lovely ski lodge.
There's a continental breakfast offered in yet another spacious, gracious dining area on the weekdays. On weekends, your booking includes a full buffet breakfast. The Inn also has its own attached restaurant that opens early and stays open until past midnight. That's a huge plus, because, like most smaller towns, the streets are generally "rolled up" after 6:00 PM - with no restaurants or stores remaining open. But here we could go into the restaurant (either their indoor dining area or their large outdoor cafe) and enjoy hearty English pub fare (good shepherd's pie) and a wide selection of wines and beers.
On the negative side, my room tended to be rather noisy. I was on the bottom floor and I'd be awakened several times each night by some spiking noise from above. It sounded as if someone was right in the room with me! But it always turned out to be just the fact that even the slightest sound of someone walking across the floor of the room overhead - carried through into my quarters.
Then there was the gentle rumble of the trains going through town most of the night. The train tracks are just about 2 blocks away. But I personally found that to be a soothing sound.
The A.C didn't work in my room, and I had to laboriously re-program the TV remote to get it to work. It also took me quite a while to figure out how to get the coffee maker to work. I finally discovered that it wouldn't start unless I turned on the light switch right by the entrance to the room. I guess a number of hotels/motels are wired that way. Certain appliances are on circuits that don't work unless you turn on the main light switch.
Then the desk clerk was just a bit crisp with me. When some other residents at the Inn asked me if I knew where they could find a launromat, I shared my discovery of one on a nearby side street. (Finding a laundromat in a downtown location when you are traveling is like finding gold!) I then suggested to the clerk that they include this information in their individual room information booklets. Or, I suggested I could print out a note to future residents in my room. The clerk rather snappily advised me to do no such thing. She said that it was HER job to advise residents about their needs.
Finally, I was a bit disappointed to see that my room only had one narrow slit of a window looking out onto the Inn's expansive parking lot. I wonder if rooms on the second floor might have had better views. It was a shame not to be able to see the mountains in this beautiful region.
Overall though, this was a lovely, clean, convenient place offering rooms at a good price. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rosalie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We chose the place through wotif & for $79 plus $5 card fee got a room with two queen beds (with the usual coffee machine and small ensuite). Staff were friendly and although you could hear other guests accessing their rooms at times, it was quiet by 10pm.

The breakfast was a great surprise, not expecting much we received tea and coffee and a buffet with juice, yoghurt, fruit, bagels and bread to toast, boiled eggs, jam & spreads and cereals. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Oz9
Melbourne
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This place is nothing flash. The rooms we clean and the bed was comfortable but the blanket was very thin. The air conditioner did't work very well.

There are signs of some attempts to renovate and freashen up the place, such as the new mattress, free wifi (speed okay - 387kbps .. Tested 29 Sept morning during breakfast), and amenities.

Bottomline, given the price of $79 + tax a night it was decent enough for a night's stay.

The service staff were all very helpful and friendly.

Breakfast is included. Standard continental breakfast on weekdays and cooked breakfast on Sat.

• Stayed September 2011
Tucson
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The desk clerk was friendly, helpful, enthusiastic. The room should have had a complete makeover 5 years ago. The airconditioner was at bed level and from 7 feet away blew directly across the bed. The bathroom door veneer was peeled back, the bathtub porcelain was cracked. The parking lot was also for the bar patrons and bordered 6 of the rooms...from about 4 feet away.. Sleep in the car before taking a room at his place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Joe7526

Travellers are raving about these Revelstoke hotels

London
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night en-route from Vancouver to Banff.
I asked TA members if we should to stay at Salmon Arm or Revelstoke town.
I am glad we choose at Revelstoke at the end.
Revelstoke is a beautiful picturesque town with its own National park which is a must visit place if you are in the area.
The hotel room was quite large with two king-size beds, good for larger family. The bathroom wasn’t as good as we hoped; it was a bit dated. The hotel staffs were friendly and helpful. They also provide nice free breakfast.
The hotel has an attached restaurant/pub and they serve excellent local beer which I’ll recommend to all beer drinkers.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I was advised the hotel is under new management, and I can see signs of progress, but there was clearly still quite a lot to be done, and the current building work (July 2011) coupled with the high price mean I could not recommend this hotel in the short term. The breakfast was nice, and in proper restaurant setting, and Revelstoke is a really nice town, so it’s worth checking back later in 2011 to see if improvements have been completed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2011

friendly staff and nice full breakfast included, beds were ok, but everything else was awful. Ugly rooms, rusty sinks, shower didnt work very well and the walls were paper thin. If you have noisy neighbours beside OR above (or boh, like we did) you will get NO sleep. The decor is atrocious and needs renoes badly.

• Stayed April 2011