“Bit of a train buff, grew up beside railroad”

Revelstoke Railway Museum
Ranked #6 of 46 things to do in Revelstoke
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Barrhead, Canada
“Bit of a train buff, grew up beside railroad”
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed my visit. Love crawling around old locomotives, middle of the week so had one of the local historians guide us around. Great place to stop in if the slopes or mountains are to socked in to partake.

Visited February 2017
RevRailwayMuseum, Visitor Services Assistant at Revelstoke Railway Museum, responded to this review, 23 June 2017
Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your visit.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Small, Informative Museum”
Reviewed 15 February 2017

I took my son here for about 3 hours over the holidays. The museum is a great stop along the highway, and offers some interesting exhibits for young and old. They have a toy room for younger kids and a train simulator, unfortunately we ran out of time before we could try the simulator. The building is beautiful and i'm sure there is more to explore in the summer as well!

Visited December 2016
Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed the museum, and hope you get a chance to visit again to try the simulator.
Cambridge MA
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fantastic small museum about the CP railroad in Revelstoke”
Reviewed 13 February 2017

This is a wonderful little "single-subject" museum; the single subject is the Canadian Pacific railway in Revelstoke. There are several well-curated exhibit rooms with a fair number of artifacts from the period during which the railroad was constructed. It's worth watching the short film, too.

But the big ticket items are the steam engine and passenger car inside the building, and the dozen or so cars outside the building. It's great to see these things preserved.

The building itself is also gorgeous. This is well worth a visit even if you're not already whipped from a day of skiing.

Visited February 2017
Thanks for your great review! We are glad to have provided a look at the local history.
Canmore, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 29 January 2017

I stoped by to kill some time and I'm glad I did. This place is fantastic. Very well put together. Lots of interesting information about how they built the railroad, the different mountain passes they surveyed, what snow sheds were and how they worked, important people in the history of rail travel in Canada and BC, CPR resorts, lots of information on the Chinese workers who built the railway, elevation maps, the Royal visit, the history of certain train cars, etc I can go on. I loved the models of the wood bridges. I loved the model railway upstairs (hats off to the gents who built that!). The building is beautiful, the steam/oil locomotive and car inside were super cool to see close up in person. The rolling stock outside was really neat as well, even though I had to walk through a few feet of snow (worth it). You can climb to the top of a caboose. A tip: they give you a paper pamphlet with some info inside when you pay. Read this as you go through the building! It has a lot of additional info inside that I found really interesting. I learnt a lot and enjoyed myself, thank you for keeping such a great museum. I am planning to visit again with some family.

Visited January 2017
Thanks for your review! We're glad you chose to visit us, and we are excited for you to visit us again in the future.
Niagara Falls, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fqabulous museum”
Reviewed 4 December 2016

I have been here 4 times over the years and will be returning soon. Probably the best train museum in Canada. Excellent displays extensive collection and very well run with a very good store on site. Have spent a few bucks in the store and have even mail ordered rail pictures from home. Definately a must see when in Revelstoke.

Visited January 2016