Open today: 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Basic Kayak Course - Spider Lake, Vancouver Isl.

Reviewed September 16, 2018
lodare
qualicum bay
Women's 4 day Seakayaking in The Broken Group

Reviewed August 15, 2018
Barbara S

All reviews nanoose bay island tour dry bags stayed close great trip enjoyable trip beach road broken group bald eagles great teacher star fish british columbia jan beginners elizabeth instructor safety
Reviewed September 16, 2018

A small, protected lake with a gentle shoreline, washrooms and picnic tables. The instructors set up a tarp in case of rain and we were all provided packing lists and clear info sheets 48 hours before the class. No excuses to be unprepared. Started bang on time with intros, unloading gear to the shore, workbooks and reference materials. Jen, the "Adventuress" is a seasoned and knowledgeable instructor. Jeff, the other instructor, was also a great teacher with lots of good input. Good give and take, info flow between the two of them. Seven students and lots of opportunity for sharing and questions. Yay, camaraderie! Then the really fun part! Getting into those kayaks! The instructors demonstrated on land and again on the water for that ever so tippy boarding. Lot's of help available. Stayed close for the basic strokes with our instructors alternating demos and watching each of us get it right. Worked our way up to the assisted rescue where you roll upside down in the water, knock three times (to show control) pull off your spray skirt and surface. Easy stuff - but now, with your partner's assistance, you need to drain the kayak and get back in from the water. Sure as shooting my partner was half my weight and I truly wondered how he could counterbalance my kayak so that I could roll in. ( I should mention here that I am 64, bad knees and overweight.) Step by step, following clear instructions and closely monitored by Jen ... it worked!!! It worked well!! There it is. Trust a good instructor and just do it!! What a great day! I will definitely take more courses from Jen and Jeff. I'm looking forward to building my own expertise under excellent tutelage.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

4 days of camping and kayaking, and camaraderie with like-minded women (most of whom I'd never met before) We shared laughs, adventure and heartfelt feelings.

Jan and Ashley cooked us amazing meals and all we had to do was wash up.

The stories told by the Sechet Beach Keeper when he stopped by our campsite were a real treat and insight into First Nations culture.

A well organised, deliciously catered and overall fun trip. WILL definitely book for another adventure with Jan, the Adventuress.

Reviewed August 4, 2018

We have four kids, 13 to 19, and this was a perfect outing in an absolutely breathtaking setting. Jan is a pro and guided us through Nanoose Bay out past Mistaken Island and to a small islet where we saw several dozen harbor seals enjoying the sunny day. We saw starfish, jellyfish and other sea creatures along the edge of Mistaken Island where the water is crystal clear. I would highly recommend a kayaking tour with Jan's company. She has top of the line equipment and gives a brief lesson at the beginning so you really don't need any experience kayaking to do this trip. Add this to you list of "must do's" while on Vancouver Island!

JantheAdventuress, Owner at Adventuress Sea Kayaking, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

What a delight to paddle with your family. So glad that you came out with Adventuress and enjoyed our beautiful Nanoose waters. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation on the Island and thanks for taking the time to write a review. It is much appreciated.
Jan

Reviewed July 10, 2018

I took the Discover Kayaking Course with Jamie from Adventuress Kayaking. It covered all advertised areas plus more. The instruction was top notch, and Jamie is clearly an experienced paddler, with a pleasant manner, who clearly provided us with what we all came to learn. The knowledge imparted over the 2.5 hours covered a wide range of areas beyond learning the strokes: safety, choosing a kayak, basic navigation, ways to safely enter and exit the boat, plus other tips and tricks Jamie shared. I can highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to get a feel for the sport. I haven't learned so much in so little time ever. Excellent value for money too.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

As an avid kayaker, I thought I would take on kayak guiding officially this year. With decades of experience under my belt, I realized that the thing I love the most is teaching beginners ANYTHING in the outdoors. The joy and sparkle in the eye of people who are just discovering kayaking for the first time, OR seeing a Sea Lion for the first time, it tickles my heart. Happy to be of service to the world through Adventuress.

Reviewed July 2, 2018 via mobile

Spent four nights and 5 days with Jan Kretz of Adventuress Sea Kayaking, Parksville BC kayaking the Broken Group Islands of Pacific Rim National Park Reserve. The trip was outstanding!
As a beginner sea kayaker, I at all times felt I was given the guidance, knowledge and skills needed to feel at ease kayaking among such beautiful islands for multiple days. I still can't believe I did it!!
It's clear Jan cares about the women who join her expeditions. It felt fantastic to challenge myself with the wet exit and rescues. Paddling skills, knowledge on safety equipment, weather, wind, tides and currents which are absolutely important to learn before taking a kayak out on any body of water.
This trip gave me the confidence to get out of my comfort zone, and to know I can use the skills I learned in a real hands-on environment (not to mention stunning place!)
I was not expecting the types of meals we had. The food was fantastic! You will be grateful as you will be constantly hungry paddling in the salty sea air for a few hours each day. Breakfasts were eggs and back bacon, fresh fruit salad daily, yogurt, oatmeal, pancakes, and the best chicken sausages!!
There was always an appetizer of salsa, tortillas, guacamole, cheeses and crackers.
Dinners were rice noodles with a Thai chicken, lots of salads and fresh vegetables, chicken stir fry with brown rice, pasta with meat sauce etc..it was all so delicious! There was always dessert!
The inter-tidal life, landscapes and seascapes, eagles soaring overhead, the sea air on your face and the distant spray of a humpback whale will forever be etched in your memory. This trip is highly recommended.

JantheAdventuress, Owner at Adventuress Sea Kayaking, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2018

Thank you Karen for taking the time to write such a fabulous review and coming out with Adventuress on the Women in the Wild trip. It was so great to spend time with you and congrats on working hard on all the skills. Your smiling face was a delight to see; so glad you enjoyed it all. Aren't we lucky to be able to paddle these pristine waters and live unencumbered in the BC wilderness . You are Rockstar girl!! Hope we can paddle together another time.

Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

Jan and her assistant Jeff offer a comprehensive and informative basic kayaking course in a beautiful setting (Spider Lake). Both instructors take the time to help with any of the many paddling skills, rescue techniques, and basic kayak knowledge. I look forward to my future courses with Adventuress Sea Kayaking.

Reviewed May 20, 2018 via mobile

Jan made this course so worthwhile with her personalized, patient and encouraging teaching. Her feedback and instructions were so specific and my husband and I both came away feeling like we had learned so much and, as a result, we felt more confident in our growing paddling skills. We will likely take her March sea kayaking (tides and currents) course next year.

It is so lovely when an instructor loves what she does and shares her passion with others in such a well organized and encouraging way. We learned so much and have a wealth of resources that were shared with us.

Reviewed May 13, 2018

Very professional and an enjoyable experience. Our group of 5 did a sunset paddle and it was a great short trip.

Thank you Gord for coming out and taking the time to write a review. I must admit that Adventuress' Sunset Paddle is one of my favourites. Generally the winds are down and the skies light up in those shades of pink and purple. Hope your summer is going well and we can paddle together another day.

Reviewed March 30, 2018

Jan's 5 week course taught me so much about understanding the difference of planning a hike to planning a kayak trip. With all the information that Jan provided I feel that I have a whole new prospective on how important it is to plan before you go out on the ocean. I now know how to read a nautical chart, the chart symbols, weather logging etc. etc. I highly recommend this course to beginners and intermediate kayakers and canoeist. It really is a must if you want to be safe, not get lost, know slack tides and the list goes on and on. Thank you Jan!!

Thank you Rhonda for coming out for the Seamanship & Trip Planning course for Paddlers. It was great to have you in class and I am so glad that you got a lot out of it. It is an in-depth course and good for you for taking what you learned to the water. Hope you are enjoying these lazy, summer days... good for kayaking!