“Birthday dinner”

Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Kalvas is a classy, upscale log cabin with dark wood tables and a warm atmosphere. The semi-circular building offers almost every table a view from large windows. The focus of Kalvas is on the dining experience and the quality of the selections on the menu. Specializing in seafood and premium meats such as AAA Alberta Beef and Island Springs Lamb, Kalvas offers high-quality meals at reasonable prices.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Upscale but casual. Wonderful ambience. Excellent service and superb meals. I had garlic buttered shrimp and my husband had halibut. Both were delicious and cooked to pertection!
Our waiter was very good. Not hovering but always there at the right moment! Highly recommend!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Food was excellent and the service fit with it. Both meals were cooked to perfection, portions were just right. Desert was great as well. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We ordered the steak and prawns special. No drinks, no appetizers, no dessert and it came to $92 with tax and moderate tip. $92 for two plates of food and water to drink is not what I would call "reasonably priced." We also had to ask for water refills after having our glasses empty for 20 min. Food was good though.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I am giving this establishment a 4 because although I wish I could give it 5, we had an issue with either the manager or owner. Our waitress Holly was amazing. Very attentive and engaging. The bus girl was wonderful as well.

The appetizers were fabulous. We had the escargot as well as the mussels. The fresh warm bread was a delicious treat as well.

For dinner we had the Lobster platter for 2. The fish and shrimp were delicious. Being an island girl who moved to Alberta, having fresh fish was a treat. However.... problems arose when I went for my side of the lobster and it was covered, I mean COVERED in the green from the digestive track. The chef had sliced into the vein. It happens. I get it. It’s pretty darn easy to devein a lobster. YouTube it.

I brought it to my waitresses attention. She apologized and quickly took it back to the kitchen. Not 2 minutes later the bus girl was sent to bring it back to the table after someone in the kitchen had “rinsed” it off. It was literally still stained green. I only ate the claw. There was no way that I was eating something that I believed to be feces. I’m on a romantic holiday with my husband and spending my time in the bathroom is not on my list of things to do.

The manager came over and proceeded to tell me that it was only the “tomalley” and considered a delicacy. I explained that it is NOT considered safe to eat. (I had googled it when it had first arrived) He asked if I would like anything else ( yes... a clean darn lobster tail. ) I declined as it was very apparent that he felt I was in the wrong.

About 5 minutes later our wonderful waitress came back with a phone where the manager had googled tomalley himself and sent this poor girl back with an article about how people in New England consider this a delicacy. Such a coward. Making a young lady do his dirty work.

They DID take the Lobster off so I commend them for that. The waitress DID handle herself gracefully in an awkward situation. The rest of the food was worth the $ and the ambience good. Too bad the manager completely mismanaged this situation. Bottom line, I was completely grossed out and he could have rectified everything easily with a fresh lobster.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Found this gem that I hadn't seen before. They had prime rib that was superb. Been looking for somewhere with a nice atmosphere since Old House closed and we weren't disappointed! W
I'll definitely make this my go to place to go for a nice meal. Worth the drive from Duncan