All reviewswaffle makercontinental breakfastnice salt water poolindoor poola king size bedhot tubclean roomspicnic tablesground floorroom was largean upgrademinute driveair conditioninglong weekendyogurtfrankbridge
Reviewed August 20, 2016

This was my first visit to the city of Nelson B.C. From driving through the city it seemed that it certainly had a european charm, sitting nestled on a hillside. We were on a motorcycle trip, so just passed through not stopping to eplore. Our destination for the nite was the Villa Motel. This is an old motel, it has some renovations, however I didnt feel it deserved the recognition that some travellers gave it. The queen room we had booked became unavailable, so we were asked to upgrade to a king but at our cost, so that ended up costing us an extra 25$. The room was fine with nice linens and updated furniture. The bathroom was another story. The shower was a very tiny cubical , one that even a small person would have a challenge turning around in. Four of the eight lights on the mirror in the bathroom were burnt out. The bed was comfortable and the surroundings relatively quiet.
We had planned on the continental breakfast in the morning, however found out that they only served this breakfast from 8am -10am. I have never stayed at a motel that didnt start coffee and breakfast at 6-6:30am . So we left and had to go and find our breakfast and coffee after paying for the service in our room price.
Personally I would not give this motel my business again if I had another choice.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2016

Thank you for the details review Carolegab. Just to clarify your review, you had booked a queen but when you extended your stay the Standard Queens were already sold out. We offered the next available room which was the Standard King room. I just wanted to clarify this because the way it is written sounds like you reserved a queen and we kicked you out, slapped on $25 on top, and sent you to a king room.

I do apologize as the standard queen hasn't gotten much attention and love for our renovations. Most of our suites and kitchenettes have been getting renovated in the past few years. I hope to look into upgrading our standard rooms this fall/winter. *fingers crossed. With that being said, without demolishing the entire motel and rebuilding ground up, the architecture design is from the 60s/70s and even I don't agree with these. We are slowly but surely removing walls here and there and trying our best to fix these odd designs. Looking back I'm happy with how far we've come, yet, there is still more we need to do.

The complimentary breakfast has been our #1 complaint. Unfortunately, the fix for this won't come until 2018. Our complimentary continental was nothing but coffee and toast. We have expanded to include bagels, cereal, juice, and Carbon's Malted Waffles. However, we are a small business and our business model is quite limited in service. Perhaps this is why most motels in town do not offer a complimentary breakfast (hot or continental) on site anymore.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart in giving us a try. It doesn't sound like you will come by our way but I do welcome you to give us a try again. If you do please let me know by asking for Frank. I'd be very happy to welcome you personally back.

Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

Great budget hotel. Rooms are clean and comfortable. For a place to just crash.. it works. No bells or whistles. Somewhat updated decor for a motel. Showers are older. Staff is helpful. Breakfast was offered, however the amazing cafes of Nelson win out. Would stay again.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2016

Set on a busy street overlooking the bridge and river, this hotel has the perks of a comfortable hot tub and a useful laundry. The room was very comfortable and with the air conditioning, quiet to the outside traffic noise. Reasonable given the offerings.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2016 via mobile

We had booked our vacation through the Kootenay's the August long weekend at the spur of the moment. Needless to say, there was not much available. When we arrived at the Villa we were a little hesitant as to what to expect.

The room was very pleasant, much better than expected. The room was large - one queen and two doubles with two bedrooms. It was clean and the beds were comfy. Great value for our money, would definitely stay again!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2016

This was our second stay at this facility. Once again, we were very pleased. One of their rooms includes two bedrooms and two bathrooms. One of the bedrooms has a queen bed, one has two double beds. This is an excellent option for our family when we are visiting Nelson. The rooms are modest, clean, conveniently located and well priced. The staff are consistently friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: All views in Nelson are breath taking.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2016

Thank you for your review Francie!
Yes, the standard room with three beds is a perfect fit for families that don't need a living room or kitchenette. We are very happy to hear that the price and value as well as our staff friendliness has been suitable and consistent between your stays with us. We wish you well on your travels!