“This might be a pretty place but.....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Blaylock Mansion

The Blaylock Mansion
Ranked #2 of 14 Nelson B&B and Inns
Bonny Doon, Calif
“This might be a pretty place but.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2005

This might be a pretty place, but the gentleman who owns it lacks good manners. I stopped to inquire about the accommodations and he seemed very put-upon, appeared to resent my being there at 10:30 in the morning, somehow lost a phone call on his portable, used a choice Anglo Saxon swear word, and acted like I was a problem. Perhaps I was at that particular moment, but I didn't mean to be. I was well dressed, had money burning a hole in my pocket, and was driving a clean, late-model luxury SUV, not that any of this should make a difference. The biggest affront was refusing to allow us to walk through his garden. No where in any brochure or guidebook does it explain about the $20 garden tour fee. (Yes, we could get a $40 credit when we booked a room.) Needless to say, my husband and I couldn't leave fast enough. There are some friendly places just down the highway in Nelson. This was our only negative experience in an otherwise thoroughly wonderful trip in southern British Columbia.

Stayed September 2005
14 Thank PatPfr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2005

This breathtaking mansion is the most amazing place I have ever stayed at. The room was beautifully decorated in an oriental style. I was told that all the other rooms were decorated with a different theme. The rock garden is huge and it is an awesome sight. It could use some maintainance, otherwise it is beautiful. There is a six foot tall sundial, arbors made of vines, lovely waterfalls, etc. I love old buildings and their history. This house was built in the early 1900's by a wealthy business man who owned the smelt mine in the area. My husband and I wished we could have stayed longer. We had a lot of fun playing billiards and we watched a movie on the big screen TV. The living room and sun room were nice and bright. The breakfast in the morning was very good.

• Stayed July 2003