“The truth about this place. ”

Kurama Sushi Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Ignore the photos, they are from the previous ownership of the Kurama family. This used to be a family run business featuring father and son sushi chefs and a wonderfully sweet mother. Now this place is only Kurama in its name. Stripped of the charming old decor, character, and quality the sushi is now only slightly better than, if at par with, what you get at a grocery store.

Reviewed January 12, 2018

One thing I love about most sushi and sashimi is that the food is left to be it's own flavor with out complex cooking and flavoring techniques. Kurama has been in Nelson for more years than I have and that is saying something. My sashimi bowl was everything I look for in such a dish. The kitchen and service staff are always friendly and the decor in the the restaurant is very nice. This is the only place in Nelson I recommend eating the sushi and Japanese food. It's best to avoid the competition at KC's if quality and freshness is of great concern to you. The price range at Kurama is quite high for what I am used to seeing compared to what I got to enjoy in Vancouver but the flavor and quality are better than most of those low cost places I ate at in the lower mainland.

1  Thank Guy R
Reviewed September 6, 2017

I absolutely enjoy eating the sushi and rice bowls created here, the sauces are amazing and the ingredients are so fresh! The atmosphere is open, clean and good vibes. I am so thrilled to have this restaurant to go to.

1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed April 8, 2017

A small quaint place but great food and excellent service. I don't think you could go wrong with any choice. The rice bowls are great and the sushi selection covers most preferences.

1  Thank Rick H
Reviewed March 30, 2017

The decor is quite remarkable and lovely with lots of live edge wood from a local boutique mill and some cool wall art. The new owners have done a great job of it and it would be suitable for a nice date even though the food is quick.

I went in the early evening with two fractious children who love sushi. They urgently wanted the table with stumps for chairs but alas it was taken, so we ended up with some benches instead. Those were the only two tables -- everything else is counter seating. Fortunately turnover is quick.

The menu is pretty extensive for maki, rolls and some really rather good sashimi, plus appetizers like miso and edemame, but very very light on 'entre' style dishes. I would have expected a chicken teriyaki or donburi bowl or such and there was no such thing. Basically it's fish or vegetables or nothing, which is a shame, as the rolls and such were SO GOOD that no doubt they'd do a fine job of the non-fish options (plus my husband who loves Japanese food except sushi would go there with me). The kids loved their California rolls which were fresh and tasty. The edemame was decent. My unagi was great, the salmon and tuna sashimi was exceptionally good, and my expectations were night high so far from the ocean :D Everything was plated very nicely and was really high quality.

I guess I would describe it is a fantastic sushi restaurant but not really a Japanese restaurant as there is really only sushi. Hopefully they consider expanding their menu as I would love to see what they could do with other Japanese foods. I'll be back regardless (though without my husband).

2  Thank lorien_i