“No frills but the price is right!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain Hound Inn

Mountain Hound Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Nelson B&B and Inns
Bellingham, Washington
“No frills but the price is right!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2011

Great place this review was after second time staying here. No better price! This place is great! Clean! Quiet! The only drawbacks would be the rooms are a little small and so are the T.V.s And they dont have parking. You have to park on the street.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

We stayed at the Mountain Hound on Nov. 12th. And, in many ways it's a great deal. They really do have great beds with really nice duvets. Our room smelled super. Nice LCD TV on the wall. Room was clean and in good repair. Bathroom was dated, but also clean. And fridge and microwave. Room is smallish but very usable and well laid out. Our room did have a window for some light. But no view, as such. It was cool in Nelson (November), so I can't comment on the AC. And right downtown on Baker St. Front desk staff was very nice\helpful. As another review called it - "good basic accommodations".
Now the down side. They seem to have an issue with power outlets cause many things are unplugged or no outlest are available. Upon our arrival in the room, one of the bed lights was unplugged. To plug in the charger for my laptop I had to unplug the Microwave. Additionally, I noticed the emergency lighting in the stairwell leading from the lobby\reception to the second floor was unplugged. I'm no fire marshall, but I don't think that's the way it's supposed to be. They don't have wireless and will supply you with a network cable if you wish to have Internet access. But the cable we got had the tabs broke off on both ends and so the cable tended to fall out of either the wall or my laptop. Parking can be a pain. As I understand it, they have no reserved parking. You have to park on Baker St. which is metered parking (.50 cents and hour I think). We arrived on Friday afternoon around 3 and at that time, getting a spot in front was a royal pain. They do have two unloading spots you can stop in temporarily. If you supply the front desk with quarters, they'll plug the meter for you. A management response to another review seemed to suggest that potential guests are fully informed of the parking arrangements. We were not.
Finally, the reason that we couldn't recommend the Mountain Hound. Around 130 am the couple next door to us returned to their room. They turned on the radio fairly loud and the proceeded to have "fun" for at least the next 45 minutes. I assume the radio was meant to cover up the sounds of their fun. It didn't. Honestly, it was like they were right in our room with us. Our sleep was definitely impacted. For us, we could live with the minor inconveiences I note above. However, we want a good nights sleep and for us this experience would not allow us to stay there again.
All in all, the folks at the Mountain Hound really try hard and I believe their heart is in the right place, if you will. And their rates are very competitive. As my TELUS buddies say, they have a good value proposition. However, if you are considering the Hound, take some ear muffs or plugs, just in case.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

This is a great value budget hotel. The rooms were clean modern and basic... just what I would expect and more for such an affordable rate. Even offer muffins, fruit etc in the mornings. The location was central to stroll around Nelson. If you are looking for a posh hotel, this isn't it but if you are looking for great value - great spot!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

Small hotel situated downtown on Baker Street with charming little rooms. Without the frills and gimmicks of large chain hotels they definitely make up for it in quality of rooms and service. If you want a quiet relaxing stay, I recommend the Mountain Hound.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Weyburn, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

My parents and I stayed at the Mountain Hound Inn for a weekend while we were attending a family wedding. The rooms were small, but we didn't spend much time in them, other than sleeping and changing clothes. The beds were really comfy and I found the rooms quiet, even though other reviews thought they were noisy. There is no view, but I was ok with that. There is air conditioning and that was a bonus because the weekend that I was there, it was very hot and humid. The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful; they even suggested a great, new Italian restaurant around the corner (Itsa) and it was fabulous! The Inn is located on Baker Street and it was a great location for shopping, bars and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Port Coquitlam, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

We stayed for 3 nights at this Inn. The rooms are very small, but that would have been OK.The other stuff wasn't OK at all. The day after our first night, I placed the sign "Maid to clean" ... it was probably just a decoration on the door because the room wasn't cleaned. The second day finally, somebody came in and did the beds but didn't pick up the garbage which I have to take it out myself. Two days in a row I found huge ants talking walks on the walls of the room. The walls of the rooms are so thin that even when you have a normal talk, you can be heard perfectly from the adjacent rooms. The so-called continental breakfast is terrible:watered juice, colored-water coffee. .. and no sitting area for your breakfast either!

The parking doesn't exist ... it's wherever around the city you can find a spot!

The shocking thing though was the price: $89/night. Higher than the motels on the side of the highways which still have a fridge, a coffee machine (with the complimentary coffee supplied) and a microwave in the room. No such "luxury" to Mountain Hound Inn!

We go pretty often to Nelson and we stayed to other hotels which charged $89/night, and they had all the amenities in the room and for the breakfast. To not mention that I didn't have to carry out of the room the garbage, ever!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flanto
MountainHoundInn, General Manager at Mountain Hound Inn, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
I am sorry about your situation with housekeeping. During that week we were training a number of new staff. If you had mentioned the lack of housekeeping in your room I would have gone to your room and cleaned it myself. Again, I am very sorry. As to your other complaints: Our free coffee available all day is not "colored water". It is in fact supplied by Kootenay Coffee which is a local organic fair trade brand. There is a counter with 2 stools as well as a leather sofa in the lobby if you choose to eat there. We have a number of rooms with fridges which are available upon request. Our parking is metered and on street. This is clearly explained when you reserve as well as in your confirmation letter. Our walls are made of cinder block and concrete. I have guests check out every day amazed at how quiet the room was. Our rates are very competitive to other hotels in the area, some of which do not offer A/C. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay. My staff work so hard to make our guests happy and we take it very personally when we get that one rare time our guests leave unhappy. I will do my best to make all of our future customers stays a pleasant one.
St. Albert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

Parking is tight, rooms are a bit spartan but the prices were good; staff friendly and location exceptional. Definitely a transit hotel rather than a lounging resort.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends