New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Don't go if you aren't serious about boarding (or skiing)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Main Lodge at Baldface Lodge

The Main Lodge at Baldface Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nelson
The Main Lodge at Baldface Lodge
Hong Kong, China
“Don't go if you aren't serious about boarding (or skiing)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2007

My husband and I spent 5 days at Baldface Lodge in Nelson, BC in February, 2007. He is an experienced snowboarder, I am intermediate and was a bit out of shape. I had not read over all of the materials, nor had I looked at the website until approximately a month before departure - BIG mistake. I realized too late that Baldface Lodge is a retreat for very serious athletes, not a relaxing, romantic getaway for couples as I had imagined! Due to the very strict reservation and cancellation policy (full non-refundable payment almost a year in advance) I decided to go and make the best of it.
Despite my relative inexperience on a snowboard (I am great on groomed slopes, but terribly inadequate in waist-deep powder, five foot plus drop offs and tight trees) my time at Baldface Lodge was wonderfully relaxing.
First of all, the snow: This is what everyone comes for. I am not the expert, so I won't go into too much detail other than say that if I were a better boarder this would have been heaven. During the time we were there Billabong was also there filming with some of their Big Mountain riders. Truly the boarding is epic. Two sessions daily, morning and afternoon - all slopes accessible via snowcat only.
Second, the accommodations: The Billabong crew were smart and booked the timber frame chalets - unfortunately my husband did not have that foresight and booked the 'lodge rooms' which, although closer to the lodge, are basically shipping containers with two twin beds, a small closet unit and desk and about enough space for one person to stand in the centre of the 'room' and reach their hands out and touch either side. There is no privacy, you can hear the people in the 'room' next to you breathe at night. Bathrooms are communal and showers shared. Having said that, the lodge is gorgeous with a great fireplace, cozy chairs, pool table, ping pong and video games, this is where the party is after a long hard day on the slopes.
Third, the staff: This really is what made Baldface Lodge a wonderful experience even for a not-so-serious boarder like me! The staff was superb - from the chefs preparing DELICIOUS special vegetarian meals and baking fresh cookies for me, to the masseuses giving an impromptu yoga lesson, to the snowcat drivers letting me sit up front in the cab after I decided to 'sit out' a few runs. They went out of their way to accommodate me and deserve every accolade they receive!
Bottom line: This is the PERFECT place for serious snow-sport enthusiasts, but you may want to think twice before spending all that money to bring your less-athletic significant others along!

11 Thank Kmalia

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)