“Comfortable and Great Staff”
Review of Hume Hotel & Spa

Hume Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Comfortable and Great Staff”
Reviewed 10 January 2017

My husband and I recently spent a week at The Hume Hotel. We had a wonderfully large and comfortable room. Every member of the staff were fantastic and friendly, my personal favourite being Jody at the front desk. The breakfasts were terrific and the pub was great fun, especially on Bingo night. I would not hesitate to stay with them the next time we visit Nelson.

Room Tip: We had a lovely view of the river. The street was not overly noisy or busy.
Green Features: They offer the option of foregoing the towel service/room cleaning for a $5 voucher towards any of the restaurants in the hotel. I think this is a great idea. They also have a blue recycle bin in the room. Another great idea.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
1 Thank Donna W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Castlegar, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times in 2 years. Every time I am in awe of the top notch service that is demonstrated by every single employee there. Whether it is check-in or out, information, service in the restaurants - it is always the same - THE best I have encountered. The hotel itself is a beautiful structure with lots of updates but you still feel the old charm. Location can't be beat either - close to shopping and restaurants. Just try it, you'll see what I mean!

Green Features: The Hume is a GreenLeader - lots of options and they offer a $5 GC to anyone who doesn't have there room made up everyday. This can be used at any one of their in-house establishments; restaurants, spa etc.
Ryan M, Owner at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2017
THE Best?! You are too kind. Thank you so much, Cheri! The employees have been and will continue to be the heart and soul of this operation for many more years to come.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

The hotel has over 100 years history which can be seen in the decorations in the front desk and the restaurant. The historic atmosphere is definitely there. Location is good. Hotel is right in the center of Nelson city, next to many shops restaurant and the historic Baker Street. The library lounge and Mike's place are both good places to have dinner or drinks. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included and are pretty decent. However, the hotel walls are the thinnest among the ones I have stayed (I am a very frequent traveler)! You can hear next door neighbor coughing, sneezing, TV and the "couple activity" in night clearly. Also if your room happens to be on top of the bar you can hear the music till 1 am. Another thing is that they have a very small parking lot, like maybe 20 vehicles at maximum. If you cannot find a parking spot you have to park on street which is not fun in snowy winter days. Overall, for people require a quiet night to sleep this would not be your choice, otherwise it could be best in town!

Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2016

There are few things that matter to me more than warm service, a clean, well designed room, and a good story. I work traveled for a decade before having my family. Last week, my husband and I took a long needed solo date night dinner and overnight at the Hume Hotel in Nelson, one of the first hotels in the British Columbia. An icon of this mountain town, I had been in the pub more times than I care to admit over the years, but had never stayed beyond the last beer with friends. This time we didn’t go back home to our kids, we went right back upstairs.

We walked into the Rattenbury room, a corner room on the second floor named after the English architect who traveled to British Columbia in the 1890s and who would go on to build some of our provinces greatest architectural establishments (the Parliament and Empress buildings in Victoria), he died later in life at the hands of his second wife. The Hume itself has its own long history and narrative, inevitably since it was built in 1898. I kicked off my shoes and stood frozen for a moment in the room. In all my years of ins and outs of hotels, I don’t think I’ve ever stayed in a room that had hardwood floors. The room was immaculately clean. It was such a pleasure. How could I ever stay in a carpeted hotel room again? The floors, my king size bed, vaulted ceilings and contemporary turn of the century cozy bathroom, explains why my husband made it to the pub but I couldn’t leave our room.

Room Tip: Corner rooms for design and highest floors (for best views).
Green Features: Family friendly. Most of the staff have been there years (decades) and it's a family run business. What matters most to them is quality. You'll leave hugging the staff.
Ryan M, Owner at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2017
Thanks for your rather poignant review of your experience in the Rattenbury Room. Not everyone takes the time to read the history piece with have of Francis Rattenbury's life framed on the wall. While he achieved so much in the world of architecture at the turn of the century, his life came to a tragic end after he was bludgeoned to death by his 18-year old chauffeur who was having an affair with his wife. A shocking end to an impressive career that seemed to accomplish so many grandiose creations that still stand tall today.

We have payed homage to this past guest of the Hume Hotel by adorning the walls of photos of him during happier times in his life while the view looks over one of two local buildings he built - the Nelson Courthouse (the other being Nelson's iconic Bank of Montreal building on Baker Street).

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience in one of the corner rooms of our hotel. We hope to see you again.
Reviewed 26 December 2016

I stayed here with my partner as part of a plot to ask her hand in marriage. Ryan, Lorelei and team went above and beyond to ensure the lead up to the night was smooth and the night itself, incredible. Such a beautiful hotel allowing us to have the complete Nelson feel! Thanks again team!

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing!
Ryan M, Owner at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 December 2016
Hey great to hear, Mark. We are so happy that she said YES and that everything went smoothly for you two. I'd still love to meet you in person one of these days. What a great photo you took on our newly carpeted staircase. We appreciate the positivity.
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 24 December 2016

Even under construction, what a lovely spot to stay. Nelson is an annual trek for my best friend Jill and me. For the last twenty years, Jill and I make the trek to shop the constantly changing stores on the main drag. We drive up from Spokane and walk the shops which change based on the exchange rate of the dollar. The tiny French bakery sells ridiculously good breads and cookies, and that fortifies our march down the main drag to buy local crafts, explore the new and old stores, eat at the always wonderful restaurants, and then come back to rest in the nicely appointed Hume. Because it is situated only a block off the main street in Nelson you can settle in and then walk to your heart's content. The breakfast options are decent but not terribly varied. I love the very old photos which are blown way up and are shown on all the floors.

My only reason for not giving the Hume five stars is that on the third floor the noise from the night club comes right up through the building. It's inevitable, it's an old building, comes with the territory.

Room Tip: To avoid the nightclub noise, stay high.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled with friends
Ryan M, Owner at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 December 2016
Thank you for putting up with our renovations. We are so happy the way they have turned out. The main lobby is almost complete. Thanks for coming to visit us for the past 20 years. I am confident when you come back, we will be fully dialed in with our finished lobby to complement our finished guest rooms! Thanks for choosing us.
Arizona
Reviewed 15 December 2016

Stayed for two nights over American Thanksgiving. We had a glitch with the online reservation package. The management was very fair in working it out with us.
The spa was professional with a great couples massage.
We ate in the library and Mike's and were happy with both.
We stayed in one of the suites and were pleased. The bed was comfortable and the large soaking tub was a bonus.
Will go back to the Hume.

• Stayed November 2016, travelled as a couple
Ryan M, Owner at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 December 2016
Yes, I apologize for the online booking glitch with the Romance Package but so happy to hear that you enjoyed everything at the hotel. I hope to see you guys back next year when the lobby renos will be complete!