“Incredible Weekend Away!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Spokane, Washington
“Incredible Weekend Away!”
Reviewed 17 January 2017

My fiance and I came to the Hume for a little weekend get away. Neither of us had been to Nelson before and we couldn't have had a more amazing trip!
The hotel staff is incredibly nice and accommodating! We found that all of the staff works together throughout each restaurant which was really nice, it seemed that we got to know them on a personal basis and they got to know us on a personal basis throughout our stay. The staff always greeted us every time they saw us, and even by name. This hotel doesn't give that same "hotel" vibe that you would get at a Best Western or a Hilton Hotel, it truly seemed like a little home away from home.
We purchased the romance package and it was incredible. The hour long sauna treatment and the hour long couples massage were so great and the staff in the salon were wonderful and made us both feel very comfortable.
The rooms are very clean and well put together. The hotel itself has such an awesome look and vibe. It almost reminded me of a European hotel. The restaurants were all great, the food, drinks and the service. You are walking distance to other bars and restaurants as well. And the Ainsworth Hot Springs (which I highly recommend) are about 40 minutes away.
We cannot wait to come back and stay here again. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed January 2017
Ryan M, Owner at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2017
Thanks for such a detailed review of your Romance Package experience. That package has been a huge success since we started it almost two years ago when Aura Spa & Salon opened up. We are happy to hear that you loved our food as well. We hope to see you back real soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

You can go just as a couple.
Or with the whole family. It has a very stylish design the rooms are very clean the staff is nice.
You can also just go for lunch at the library or family restaurant.
I would very much recommend it.

Stayed June 2016, travelled with family
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2017

My family of 6, four girls aged between 15- 21, and two partners aged 20 & 21 and my husband and myself booked to stay at The Hume Hotel and Spa for two weeks over Christmas 2016. We were married here 25 years ago and decided to head back for a celebration. We booked the Horace D Hume Suite, which has a beautiful kitchen, dining and living area as well as a king bed and lovely bathroom. We also booked two queen rooms which were next to us. 8 of us stayed very comfortably. The suite was amazing, very roomy and the living room made getting together as a group very easy. I highly recommend this if you have a large family.
From the minute we walked in the door we were treated like family. The staff here go out of their way to help.
The full breakfast included in our room rate was fantastic. We also used the restaurant many times for lunch and dinner and were never disappointed. Mikes Place Pub is always a fun place to have a drink, some nibbles and either play pool or watch the hockey. Our last stop most evenings was the Library Lounge for a coffee drink. Do yourself a favor and order a Motherlode. The perfect nightcap. A few of us used the Spa for massages and treatments. It was wonderful: relaxing and welcoming. We headed to The Spirit Bar for New Years Eve and had a great time. Great DJ's and a lot of fun.
The history of this hotel makes it special. The Martin family have gone to great lengths to preserve it and it's one of the things that makes staying here so great.
Ryan and Loralei helped my husband organize a surprise 25th anniversary celebration while we were there, which included a photographer to retake our wedding photo in front of the iconic neon hotel sign on the roof of the hotel. They went above and beyond expectations and we couldn't thank them enough.
We love this hotel and will hopefully be back very soon. Do yourself a favor and spend some time in Nelson, and don't miss out staying at The Hume Hotel and Spa.

Room Tip: The Horace Hume Suite is perfect for a longer stay
Green Features: They offer the option of foregoing the towel service/room cleaning for a $5 voucher towards any of the restaurants in the hotel. Great idea!
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2017

My husband and I recently spent a week at The Hume Hotel. We had a wonderfully large and comfortable room. Every member of the staff were fantastic and friendly, my personal favourite being Jody at the front desk. The breakfasts were terrific and the pub was great fun, especially on Bingo night. I would not hesitate to stay with them the next time we visit Nelson.

Room Tip: We had a lovely view of the river. The street was not overly noisy or busy.
Green Features: They offer the option of foregoing the towel service/room cleaning for a $5 voucher towards any of the restaurants in the hotel. I think this is a great idea. They also have a blue recycle bin in the room. Another great idea.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
1 Thank Donna W
Castlegar, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times in 2 years. Every time I am in awe of the top notch service that is demonstrated by every single employee there. Whether it is check-in or out, information, service in the restaurants - it is always the same - THE best I have encountered. The hotel itself is a beautiful structure with lots of updates but you still feel the old charm. Location can't be beat either - close to shopping and restaurants. Just try it, you'll see what I mean!

Green Features: The Hume is a GreenLeader - lots of options and they offer a $5 GC to anyone who doesn't have there room made up everyday. This can be used at any one of their in-house establishments; restaurants, spa etc.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple
Ryan M, Owner at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2017
THE Best?! You are too kind. Thank you so much, Cheri! The employees have been and will continue to be the heart and soul of this operation for many more years to come.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

The hotel has over 100 years history which can be seen in the decorations in the front desk and the restaurant. The historic atmosphere is definitely there. Location is good. Hotel is right in the center of Nelson city, next to many shops restaurant and the historic Baker Street. The library lounge and Mike's place are both good places to have dinner or drinks. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included and are pretty decent. However, the hotel walls are the thinnest among the ones I have stayed (I am a very frequent traveler)! You can hear next door neighbor coughing, sneezing, TV and the "couple activity" in night clearly. Also if your room happens to be on top of the bar you can hear the music till 1 am. Another thing is that they have a very small parking lot, like maybe 20 vehicles at maximum. If you cannot find a parking spot you have to park on street which is not fun in snowy winter days. Overall, for people require a quiet night to sleep this would not be your choice, otherwise it could be best in town!

Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2016

There are few things that matter to me more than warm service, a clean, well designed room, and a good story. I work traveled for a decade before having my family. Last week, my husband and I took a long needed solo date night dinner and overnight at the Hume Hotel in Nelson, one of the first hotels in the British Columbia. An icon of this mountain town, I had been in the pub more times than I care to admit over the years, but had never stayed beyond the last beer with friends. This time we didn’t go back home to our kids, we went right back upstairs.

We walked into the Rattenbury room, a corner room on the second floor named after the English architect who traveled to British Columbia in the 1890s and who would go on to build some of our provinces greatest architectural establishments (the Parliament and Empress buildings in Victoria), he died later in life at the hands of his second wife. The Hume itself has its own long history and narrative, inevitably since it was built in 1898. I kicked off my shoes and stood frozen for a moment in the room. In all my years of ins and outs of hotels, I don’t think I’ve ever stayed in a room that had hardwood floors. The room was immaculately clean. It was such a pleasure. How could I ever stay in a carpeted hotel room again? The floors, my king size bed, vaulted ceilings and contemporary turn of the century cozy bathroom, explains why my husband made it to the pub but I couldn’t leave our room.

Room Tip: Corner rooms for design and highest floors (for best views).
Green Features: Family friendly. Most of the staff have been there years (decades) and it's a family run business. What matters most to them is quality. You'll leave hugging the staff.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple
Ryan M, Owner at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2017
Thanks for your rather poignant review of your experience in the Rattenbury Room. Not everyone takes the time to read the history piece with have of Francis Rattenbury's life framed on the wall. While he achieved so much in the world of architecture at the turn of the century, his life came to a tragic end after he was bludgeoned to death by his 18-year old chauffeur who was having an affair with his wife. A shocking end to an impressive career that seemed to accomplish so many grandiose creations that still stand tall today.

We have payed homage to this past guest of the Hume Hotel by adorning the walls of photos of him during happier times in his life while the view looks over one of two local buildings he built - the Nelson Courthouse (the other being Nelson's iconic Bank of Montreal building on Baker Street).

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience in one of the corner rooms of our hotel. We hope to see you again.