“What a lovely get-a-way”
Review of Hume Hotel & Spa

Hume Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I think this is the 4th time we have stayed at the Hume. The location is perfect - town is right there with all it interesting shops within a minutes walk from the hotel. We had supper in "The Library". Not only was our server (Rachel) a delight, the food was wonderful and the Library is a great cozy place to dine. Lychee Cranberry Gin Martini to start them perfectly cooked Calamari, breaded Oysters, Camembert Stuffed Chicken followed by Chocolate Dipped strawberries, oh my it was good. The rooms are very clean and the beds were comfortable. We slept great! Breakfast was included with the room. We had the days special which was spinach, feta, egg scramble, with homemade hash-browns, toast and coffee. Service was quick and friendly. Once, again, the Hume Hotel did not dissapoint.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 February 2011

My friend and I stay at the Hume Hotel every Winter before our ski trip. We have only had great experiences here. Lorelei and Miriam at the front are friendly and very helpfull. This makes our stay even better. We like that the breakfast is included and is good. The bar and pizza are excellent. My friend and I would encourage anyone going to Nelson who needs accomodations to stay at the Hume Hotel. It also has a haunted room but the ghost in room 335 never actually bothered us.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I cant say enough good things about the Hume. Clean rooms, Friendly staff. I stay here every time I'm in Nelson. I love the Heritage Style,it has more character than your average hotel. The food in always consistently delicious and if you want to go out the Spiritbar downstairs has more world class acts than any small town in Canada!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Let me start by saying that Whitewater IS the best hill I've been on (and I'm quite familiar with Red, Revelstoke, Whistler and the Banff hills). Now that the secret's out of the bag, and you know where to find the best riding, where should you stay? Thankfully the friendly folks at the Hume Hotel have made this decision an easy one.

Two words: Rustic Charm. This place is the real deal. Lots of old wood and original decor give the Hume its authentic vintage charm. I loved the old pictures hanging throughout the rooms and corridors. Mountain culture at its most genuine. I would compare staying here to the feeling I get from my favorite flannel shirt.

As per facilities, the Hume is a one stop shop. We had a blast at the club downstairs, we ate most of our dinners, had drinks, and carried on at their great big pub, and enjoyed one a relaxing evening in the lounge with specialty coffees, port, scotch, and live music from local artists. We actually had to force ourselves to leave the hotel in the evening and try somewhere else. This happened only once. I will say I could have used a hot tub at the end of my ski day, but there is an aquatic center very close by, and the intense water pressure coming out of the shower made short work of tenderizing each of my aching muscles, for real.

In summary, I've stayed in a bunch of places, I've even worked in a few, but I've never felt so at home away from home as I did at the Hume. My friends and I will most certainly be back as soon as we can. Honestly, I wish I was there right now :)

Phil

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

The staff at this hotel always make you feel at home. The food is always great, as well the entertainment. Central location for walking around town, and nice heritage style rooms.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I've stayed at this hotel on several occasions now and I can tell you there is no other place quite like it. Possibly the most unique hotel I have ever stayed in. If you're looking to complete your "Nelson/Kootenay Experience" this is the place to stay. The staff make you feel like you're part of the family. Service is very attentive. Rooms and beds are comfortable and most importantly very clean. The antique decor adds a certain charm you won't find in any of the typical hotels in the area.

When looking for a place to eat you won't have to look far. There are several options right in the hotel. Breakfast is served daily and is complimentary with the stay. The food is outstanding with very generous proportions. Depending on your mood you can enjoy an intimate and relaxing meal in "The Library" or wander upstairs to "Mike's Place" for a more casual dining/pub experience. Whichever place you decide to go the food is very good and everything is priced reasonably. If you're looking to have some fun after dinner you can even go downstairs to the Spirit Bar! Bring your dancing shoes because this place really heats up late at night with some of the best local and international talent alike. The good thing is that if you decide to end your night early you won't even hear a peep from your room.

Location is unbeatable. You can wander half a block up to Baker St. to take in all of the amazing shops that Nelson has to offer.

I will be coming back to this hotel for years to come. Thank you everyone at Hume Hotel!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Great food especially the sunday brunch. The rooms ard furnished with large comfortable beds and antiques. The staff are friendly and accomodating. The entertainment is first rate.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo