“Staff was excellent”

Northern Grand Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Fort St. John
Reviewed 2 February 2012

stayed two nights on business, accommodation very comfortable. Very cold weather at the time, like -40 or so, & I wanted to plug in rental vehicle, no extension cord with vehicle but manager very helpful, lent me a cord, showed me where to plug in. Very accommodating. Last stay was a few years ago when there was a White Spot on premises, that is now gone but there is now a pub next door saved me a trip from going out again in -40 or so temp. Food was good. Overall I was very impressed with the changes & the staff. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed here twice in 2011 and was reasonably happy. The place looks old from the outside but they've done a nice job renovating it on the inside. The service was ok, but it was nothing to rave about, the rooms are clean, but small. I do like the fact there's a new and clean pub attached to the hotel. They serve an ok breakfast, but they have a few dinner dishes that are actually pretty good.

My only complaint is the value for your money. I fee like there's a few other places in town that offer a much better option for only about $10-20 more. Oh, the internet is pretty bad to be honest. The free wifi is painful to use it's so slow. They definitely don't have enough bandwith to handle the type of traffic a hotel gets at that busy 7pm-10pm hour. It's pointless to even try during those hours.

That's my experience. I've still given it a 4/5 rating as my complaints are only minor, but as I said, you may want to check all the options in town before settling your head down here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Friendly service. The room was clean and very comfortable...Great pillows! We got our room for a very reasonable price due to their Christmas Special.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Though the hotel has a lovely feel to it, I remain unimpressed by their customer service. We stayed here late November 2011. After a seven hour drive, we arrived at our hotel at 2:15 PM. When we tried to check in, we were told our room wasn't ready. The lady at the front desk offered to switch us to another room, but another employee (possibly a manager) walked by and said they were completely full and couldn't switch. We waited an hour in their lobby, while the front desk staff talked loudly and very rudely about other guests and people who had called in to book rooms. I heard some very rude comments about a particular person who had called in, but in respect, I won't mention the details of their conversation. Let me say that i was very upset by the reaction of the staff at this hotel to the guest's requests. Finally, at 3:15 PM (which is 15 minutes past the "official check-in time"), after much pressing, we were told our room was ready with little apology.

Clearly they were not booked solid - they simply did not want to change our room. Nor did they try to get our room finished on time. They did nothing to make sure we were comfortable or taken care of.

This hotel is used by the local theatres and community centres as a place to put out-of-town guests and performers. I would not recommend it to fellow travelers.

Room Tip: It seems to be a problem that rooms are not ready on time for check-in. I would definitely press the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank rachel_reiterates
QING_Manager, General Manager at Northern Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

We clearly blew our opportunity to "Wow" you with our exceptional "guest first" service ethic.
Nobody is more disappointed than we are...obviously, we truly were having a less than ideal day at our front desk. We offer our humblest apologies....
From the other testimonials attached in TripAdvisor, we trust you realilze this is not our norm
& would look forward to having you return so we can prove it.

Cheryl Erickson

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Our facilitation teams have conducted training programs in 3 hotels in Fort St. John in the last year and Quality Inn Northern Grand won our vote as the best we've ever stayed and worked in. The meeting room (Grand Ballroom 1) was just the right size to accomodate our, up to 21, participants, 3 facilitators and our equipment, in a U shaped conference shape style. The catering was absolutely spot on with respect to both the quality and quantity as well as the variety and timing of the meals and refreshments which were delivered over a 10 hour working day. This included breakfast, lunch and snacks in the morning and afternoon. The service was awesome. We have never had anyone "jump to the pump" for us like that before. Actually, this is the second time we have conducted our programs there and we will be returning again when the future presents an opportunity. Cheryl, Lee Ann and staff always seem to hit a home run on getting things done right!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BNS58
Reviewed 12 August 2011

This place was clean and quiet with comfortable beds, wi-fi, heated bathroom floor- the works... The on-site restaurant is good and in the morning they have a great complimentary hot buffet breakfast! Our only problem was that on the internet, they say "laundry services"- Well, it's 2 day send out laundry service... no washers or dryers at the facility which was really inconvenient. The mgr on the desk says that he will try to get the website changed so it is more clear.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2011

This hotel has gone through some serious renovations! The last time we stayed it was so different, I LOVE the new look! The staff are wonderful, and treated us very well! They even arranged someone to bring extra towels to the pool for us when we forgot ours in the room!
The beds...WOW I really would love to have one of these in my house! I have never had such a restful and comfortable sleep! My son even slept through the night which was so great...and so rare!
The room was spotless, smelled wonderfully fresh and had everything we needed. The heated bathroom floor was the best thing! Even in the summertime, that is so nice to walk on first thing in the morning!
I have stayed in lots of different hotels and nothing really compares to the quality of comfort and service that I have received here. If you are traveling to(or through) Fort st. john, your best choice is this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family