“Nice but overpriced.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cranbrook
Three Bars Guest Ranch
Essex, United Kingdom
“Nice but overpriced.”
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I had a week at the ranch in September 2009. The cabins were lovely, the wranglers and staff in general were all good. The pool and hot tub were nice. The not so good parts for me were most of the riding was very tame if you're an experienced rider. After a couple of the same trails all done in walk I was bored. The other thing is I felt for the cost of the ranch the food was on the poor side. I expected a much higher standard.

A couple of us also asked for a western riding lesson which we never got. We also asked to watch Jeff doing some reining which we didn't get either.

I felt that once they had your money they wern't too bothered.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank MsVictoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
North Carolina
Reviewed 1 October 2009

The fly fishing at Three Bars Ranch was spectacular. My husband and I both fish, although I am new to fly fishing, and we fished every day during our stay at the ranch in August 2009. It’s a short walk to St. Mary's River where the ranch controls over 7 miles. We didn’t see a single person the entire time we fished. The only company was the daily sighting of a bald eagle. We caught several Wild West Slope Cut Throats ranging from 9 to 15 inches. We had constant hits in between the catches. The water was crystal clear and perfect temperature for wading with shorts. We really miss it! It was the best fishing we’ve experienced and a must activity for anyone staying at the ranch no matter what your level of experience. As far as the ranch in general, it was the most fantastic vacation we have ever had. Peace and quiet, great food, great people, gorgeous scenery and as much privacy as you desire. The horseback riding was awesome and so nice to have my very own horse for the week with rides to suit everyone. We can’t wait to go back and we don’t usually repeat vacation destinations since there are so many places we haven’t been but this is an exception!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NorthCarolinaKokanee
Ohio
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Wow I don't normally post to tripadvisor but after seeing the review "pass on this one" I couldn't disagree more. My family had a vacation we will never forget, we can't stop looking at our photos and talking about the trip-- 6 weeks later. Just last week, i asked the kids where they would rather return, Disney World or Three Bars. They didn't even have to think about it-- how many trips do you know that kids prefer over Disney? We've been to other dude ranches but this is one that stands out. The Beckley's are very friendly, I think they tread the line perfectly between giving guests breathing room to be by themselves on vacation and being available to answer questions, have conversations, etc.

The scenery is beautiful and highly diverse-- from mountain and valley views, to river walks, to forest so dense it feels like rain forest, to cool meadows recovering from forest fire. They do a great job pairing you with riders of similar ability, or keeping you with your family if that's what you prefer and the rides are the right length-- the wranglers were very flexible in breaking according to the wishes of the riders. They take the kids on special rides with break activities designed just for kids. The horses are spectacular and very well cared for. The wranglers are talented and interesting folks to spend time with. The cabins are very private and very clean-- I have a family of 4 and we had a separate room and bathroom for the kids, which was just perfect. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

OK, the food is very good, it's more than acceptable, but it's not gourmet. But if food is the centerpiece of your vacation needs, you probably shouldn't consider a ranch vacation. They're cooking for 30 people, not hundreds, so they won't offer the variety of a full service restaurant or a cruise ship.

By the way I googled a lot of ranches before I selected this particular one for my vacation, and I found three bars to be exceptional value compared to most others.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 26 August 2009

A couple of associates and I visited the ranch in hopes to talk a little business, make great memories, ride horses, fly fish and visit an area of British Columbia which we had never seen before. I feel we accomplished all of those goals and more at the Three Bars Guest Ranch. Tyler, Jenna, April, Jeff and the entire wrangler crew (including Gabe, Luke, Don, Cain, and April) were not only accommodating to our needs and requests they went a step beyond becoming people we have asked to come visit us when they are in our home areas. They sat with us during many meals discussing all kinds of topics including Australia (several of the wranglers are Aussies), fly fishing, local culture/life in the area, and obviously horses. I will plan to bring my family back to this place in the future as well. The previous poster noted items such as 2 hours rides being short and so forth but that was plenty of ride time for us and it is nothing that Three Bars was hiding from anyone that a question or two would not have covered up front. Fly fishing the St. Mary's river was great; I did both wading through the river and a guided float trip using the suggested guides from the Three Bars group. One of my associates caught a cutbow trout that was the largest the guide had seen over this and potentially many other seasons. It is a pretty good walk to get to the St. Mary's however I found it to be very enjoyable and nothing I would not do again. Another associate visited one of the four noted golf courses in the area and was pleasantly surprised with the condition and beauty of the course (Trickle Creek). The ranch has a beautiful indoor swimming pool with a outdoor hot tub to make those evenings after a ride quite soothing. The rooms were clean, quiet and provided a great ambiance for the ranch. All in all my associates and I had set high expectations of our trip and the Three Bars came through for us providing most everything we could ask for and more. Thank you Tyler and Jenna and the entire group for all your help in making it happen.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael_P_TX
Blue Ridge, Georgia
Reviewed 9 August 2009

While the cabins were nice enough and clean, management was very rigid and inflexible. It seemed as if they had never thought to use accomodating and guest in the same sentence; Rides were very short, only 2 hours morning and afternoon including half-hour breaks and scenery that was not particularly varied or remarkable; The "all day ride" only lasted from 9:30 to 3:30 with two hours for lunch. They said they would accomodate dietary restrictions, but made very minimal effort; i.e., they said they had lots of fresh fruit, but served canned fruit for 3 out of 6 breakfasts; Fishing opportunities were extremely limited and required long hikes to reach. Recommend you try elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank vera_chuck
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Our stay at Three Bars was fun. The Beckley family and all their staff were really friendly and we felt really relaxed byt the time we left the Ranch. Our men folk enjoyed the riding and the Skeet and we ladies just walked,talked and even went river rafting.The week we visited was early in the season and only a few guests but they were all great company.Food was good but perhaps a BBQ would have been nice one night but guess again too early in the season.
The Cabins were just wonderful and so quiet and peacfull.Waking up in the morning to see the horses coming back in to the coral in such a picturesque setting made for some wonderful photos.
Thanks everyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank chilcotin
Cave City, AR
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The Facilities like the Ranch Lodge and cabins are great. The Aussie Wranglers were very nice and did everything with us, (all activities). The food was very good. They had about 2 nice scenic rides and all the rest were in the trees. They do not have a childrens program but did offer a kid's ride. They try to keep all family groups riding together, so the rides are small. We did get to ride with other adults only when they offered the kids rides. The float trip was fun mostly because of the water fights (they have some kind of water guns). They do not offer any arena games or team penning, in my opinion they could offer this one day to break up the tree riding, plus their fun! The picture of the lodge on the web sight looks like the mountains are right behind it, but the picture is deceiving, the mountains are way off in the distance. Also I have been to some other ranches, and the Beckleys could be a little more friendler. If you talked to them they would talk to you but they never initiated it by their selves. I also think they could have a lodge western band/dance one night. The Beckleys son Tyler and his wife Janna is taking over the ranch/lodge part and I think Tyler is a little burnt out. I think if it wasn't for the wranglers, you would feel that they didn't care that much. The pool was so cold the first night because they forgot to fire up the furnace, but by Tuesday the kids could get in it. The Hot Tub was nice.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank gcwalling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
14.2 km away
12.3 km away
Mountain Spirit Resort
Mountain Spirit Resort
#1 of 4 in Kimberley

Been to Three Bars Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!