All reviewsgames roomnew wingliquor storebest westernsthe riverfamily restaurantcentral locationolder partcourtenay bcfront desk staffmain buildingnice roombeds were comfortablepool and hot tubcontinental breakfastcomox valleyvancouver island
Reviewed January 31, 2017

The Westerly Hotel needs a big league facelift! You can tell it is state of the art for about 1982........if even that. The carpet is old and disgusting, the rooms are small, and the property is a maze, you could get lost for hours trying to find your room! It reminds me of some cheap two star hotel! The room came without a refrigerator, supposedly you have to upgrade to a higher category for that one. I would definitely recommend steering clear of this hotel and trying Holiday Inn down the street. You'll be A LOT happier!!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
debbiebrowning, Managing O at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2017

Dear seahawksteve
We are very sorry to hear you were not happy with our product. We have a very large operation with many services which makes staying with us very convenient so you don't have to get in your car to go to a pub, lounge, restaurant or fitness facility. However because of the size of our operation it takes a lot of time and work to get through all the renovations to update it. Currently we have the new pub and wing to the hotel done and are working on the update of the restaurant and the lobby. The older part of the hotel, which some people actually prefer as the rooms are larger, is slated to be done as well.
It might warrant another visit from you in the future we hope!

Reviewed January 29, 2017

First the power went out ,and the back up generator failed to start. Then the fire alarm went off ,and I had to evacuate the hotel .I was checking out that morning anyway ,so I loaded the car and left.I have received no follow up e-mail or telephone calls, explaining, apologizing,or just checking to make sure all got out!!!!!
I have stayed at the hotel in the past ,but with this type of customer service ,I won't be in ther future

Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Managing O, Managing O at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2017

Dear 926doug
We are so sorry for the confusion!!! When the BC Hydro's generator on the street that supplies power to the hotel blew, the Fire Chief wanted a voluntary evacuation.
We phoned all the rooms after the alarm was sounded to make sure everyone had vacated. If anyone did not pick up we went to every room to make sure they left the premises.
We followed up to all guests after the event with an email if their email was on file.
We are terribly sorry that you had decided to leave before we reached you by phone or in person. We also are sorry if you didn't have your email on file or somehow we missed your email address.
We do all three procedures as protocol so as not to miss anyone.

Reviewed January 29, 2017

We treat our granddaughter and daughter to a stay in Courtney to go skiing. This year the service at the Best Western was ridiculous. First, in order to pay for the room with my credit card over the phone, I had to scan my card back and front, download a form , sign it, scan it in and send all by Email. Imagine if every organization insisted that credit card payment over the phone followed this procedure. Second, breakfast is no longer available because some clients didn't get like the hours. Instead , each adult gets a $7 voucher, not for a 10 year old. Maybe a child doesnt need any food.
This is certainly not what I expect at a Best Western

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Janine L
Managing O, Managing O at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2017

Dear Janine L
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your ski vacation. To address your concerns with the credit card, it is purely for your benefit. When we talk over the phone and take a credit card we could be booking using a stolen card. That is why we do the procedure we do. I am sorry if you felt it was overkill. Please understand it is for our customer's protection.
As far a breakfast goes we are not a Plus Best Western so we do not have the free breakfast but try to make up for that by giving the $7 vouchers to our customers.
Sorry for that.

Reviewed January 26, 2017

Room was clean and comfortable. The bed was also very comfortable. I missed having hand lotion supplied in the bathroom. Also the coffee maker only made one cup of coffee at a time which was a disappointment. I did think it was a bit pricey. We have stayed in other Best Western hotels and paid quite a bit less.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Managing O, Managing O at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2017

Dear Gail B
We appreciate you deciding to stay with us and then taking the time to write about us on TripAdvisor. Clean and comfortable are what we aim to achieve. So glad we were able to deliver.
The staff always goes out of their way so they will love your nod to them.
Cheers

Reviewed January 25, 2017

We booked a room with 2 queen beds for our family of 4 in the renovated building (mountain view wing). The rooms were nice – and special mention to the bathrooms – they were quite nice with glass walk-in showers. We had reserved a corporate rate but at check-in I saw an ad posted on the front desk advertising a ‘Winterfest’ rate where, for $89 pp (based on dbl occupancy) you get the room and 2 adult lift tickets. This was a great value so I switched to it for both nights. Front Desk was very friendly in their service. Special mention to Destiny at the front desk who seemed to be working on both the evening and the next morning shift. The hotel has a small, indoor pool and hot-tub and a gym and it also has a game room. This is where, I would definitely deduct some points. On the website, the games room looks great with lots of FUNCTIONAL games. The reality (see photos) is very different and was a big disappointment. The ping pong table was upside down and missing 2 of its legs. The pool table is in such bad shape that when you try to rack up the balls and remove the black triangle, the balls begin to rool away due to the dip in the surface. The fooseball table has all of the players installed BACKWARDS. Travelling with a 10 and 12 year old, this was part of the decision to try out this hotel versus going back to the Old House or the Holiday Inn Express which we have tried in the past. We also stayed on a Saturday and Sunday night. Saturday night, I’m guessing the hotel was close to full or full and Sunday night, not so much. As a result, we had a much quieter night and better night’s sleep the 2nd night. Saturday night, there was a sports team of youngsters in the hotel, so the pool area was overtaken, and down the hall from us, we had a group that constantly was moving back and forth between their rooms, but they kept their doors open with the latches, so the doors were always banging. Again, thought, Sunday was a much nicer and quieter experience. Overall, the hotel was good and the value of the ski and stay (Winterfest) rate was excellent. Parking and Wi-fi are free. The location is also good so definitely worth considering. But please – either take down the photos of the games room, or upgrade your games room to reflect the picture.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Dear BCTall_Guy
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your ski vacation. We were happy to assist you in getting the better rate!
I thank you for mentioning the state of the games room. Sometimes when we have sports teams staying at the hotel it can disrupt the working order of the room. I will definitely look into this. If for any reason you come across a problem feel free to bring it up with the front desk so they can try and rectify the situation.
On a better note, thank you for all your positive compliments.
I hope you will stay with us again!