All reviewsliquor storewafflesblack roosterrestaurant next doorcontinental breakfastroom was cleanstay there againhard boiled eggspool and water slidegreat place to stayhot tubbusiness tripone night stayair conditionerthemesafewaycereal
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed at the Super 8 this August, 2010. The room was clean and very large. It overlooked the indoor pool. Beds were comforted, staff friendly. Can't wait to go back. The best place we stayed on our whole vacation to B.C.

The location is perfect, the Black Rooster Restaurant is next door. Safeway, Liquor Store are right next door.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2010

After another 15 hour day I pulled into Super 8. Check in was painless even pleasant. My room was clean & fresh. This hotel is well built. Very solid. There is a large pool for those who enjoy a dip. For me, well I was very satisfied with the room and the overall stay. There is plenty of parking. I mean lots. There is a very large conti b'fast each morning just off the lobby. I suggest to you, stay at this Super 8 while in Castlegar. If I could give 6 stars I would.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Benjamin B
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Love the location of this hotel. Since we stay for weeks at a time, the kitchenette rooms are a must. With the Safeway just across the parking lot, it made life much easier at the end of a long day at work. Also, a wonderful beer and wine shop downstairs, ( my favorite shop in all of Castlegar!) And the Black Rooster Restaurant next door is good, great staff every time I have been there.
No oven in the kitchenette means we have to use the microwave more that we would like. Some rooms have a fry pan, some dont, some have a sharp knife, some dont. Housekeeping is hit and miss, they come every day, but if they empty the garbage, sometimes they forget to put a new garbage bag in the can. Just little things like that sometimes. But when you have a kitchen, you need a bag in the trash.
Air conditioners work in some rooms, but not in others. We had a king bed that was fine. There was plenty of space in the king kitchenette room. But the internet is horrible! I felt like I was back in the days of dial-up, and you cant conduct any online business with that pathetic internet service. When you check in, they give you a code to punch in for access. The next morning, at 5am, I am down to the lobby to get a new access code?? After that, it was usually good for a day or two. I am going to be there for a couple of weeks, why cant I have a code that will last that long? Front desk staff can be good, or awful. When we stay at a hotel for the first time, we tip at the end of the stay, just to see if the staff does their job according to tips or if they just do a good job. As the days went by, our housekeeping staff showed that they are the type that works according to tips...so were tipped accordingly.
The key cards are awful as well, most of the time, you have to try again and again to get the door to unlock. If you get a good one...hold onto it!
All in all, a good enough stay. But if it wasnt for the bed, we would stay at the Sandman again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mama40
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I would like to share our experience: I was so sickened by our stay that I have been communicating with the manager over the past month with no resolution, so I am using this forum to warn future guests to be aware of potential disappointments. We checked in and refused 2 of the 3 rooms we were shown because of cleanliness issues. We chose the one that appeared to be the least dirty, at least that was what we thought.
At this point we should have left, but it was 11:00pm, and we had travelled 8 hours with a 3 year old to attend a funeral the next day. On getting ready for bed, my 3 year old son picked up a man's big toenail clipping off the bathroom floor. This bothered me so much, I phoned down to the front desk and was told there were no other suites available as we had already seen them all. My impression was that if the room had been cleaned at all, it was certainly not done well enough as there were smudges on the counters and mirrors and the kitchen was greasy. (We had no intention of using the kitchen, but we did need to use the bathroom!) The side of the bathtub had urine stains and the toilet had fecel matter stuck to the outside of it.
When we checked out, we were told we would thave to wait until Monday to speak to the manager, so I reluctantly paid for the room thinking we could resolve this matter with the manager over the phone. We had used our Entertainment Book card for a discount, and was then informed that since we got a discount we should be happy with sub-standard service. Our disappointing and sickening stay at the Super 8 Castlegar was not so Super, and ruined our day that should have been spent comforting grieving family and friends.
To add insult to our disappoinment, the manager informed us that after consulting with her staff, she was told that WE had trashed the room. I feel compelled to warn future guests of the kind of shocking customer abuse! The last communication we had with the manager was a voice message saying we were done with the issue.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank sschmidt818
Reviewed March 16, 2010

My family and I have stayed here on three occasions and we have consistently received great service. The pool and water slide are fantastic especially if you have younger children as it is very child friendly. The staff have always been very friendly and the rooms are kept clean. The hotel is situated close to downtown and a variety of restaurants. The price is low when you see the quality of the hotel. Also, the continental breakfast is great (you can even have waffles)!.. Our family loves going to this hotel as we have always received great service. I would highly recommend this hotel if you need to stay in Castlegar!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family