Sandman Hotel Castlegar(Castlegar)
Cozy Pines Motel(Castlegar)
US$63
US$122
TripAdvisor
All reviewsliquor storeblack roosterwafflescontinental breakfastrestaurant next doorroom was cleanstay there againhard boiled eggspool and water slidelocation is excellentgreat waterroom overlooked the poolhot tubgreat place to staythemed roomsbusiness triplong drive
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We went to Castlegar to visit my sister and my nephew and I hate staying in other peoples homes so we always use hotels.

We travel with our obedience trained Standard Poodle.
We chose the Super 8 because it's a pet friendly hotel and is centrally located in town with quick access to the highways in and out of town.
We have stayed in other Super 8 hotels and have been satisfied every time so far.
Since we were visiting folks in the area we booked in for 2 nights July 29 & 30/2010

Check-in was quick and pleasant with no surprises.

We were in a 3rd floor room on the far Northwest end of the hotel. Sorry I don't recall the room number.
The window had a nice view of the mountains to North.

We had a standard 2 queen bed with a standard bath.

The air conditioner was a wall mount cooler/heater type by GE. It worked well. I think some people might have considered it to be a little noisy but I don't mind that as I find it acts like noise block and make it easier for me to sleep.

There was a mini fridge to help keep our water cool.

Work table with coffee maker and the table was big enough to accommodate my laptop.

The hotel has a (slow but stable) Wi-Fi network but you must obtain a temporary authentication code from the front desk. No biggie.
They also have a guest desktop station set up in the lobby.

The room had a 42inch LCD monitor for a TV with local cable service. Very nice.
BUT no DVD player.

The pool is a little small (so no swimming lengths) but has a mushroom type waterfall and a waterslide for the kiddies. There's also a whirlpool to sooth the aching muscles of the adults.
I found the temperature in the pool and in the whirlpool to be appropriate.
The pool and surrounding area was clean free of obvious slimy and dirty rusty stuff.
The water was not over chlorinated which is the sign of a well maintained pool.
I must mention I have found this to be the case at all the Super 8 hotels I've stayed in. They take maintenance of their pool areas very seriously and it shows and I'm impressed by that.

I'm not sure if the hotel has a fitness centre or not , sorry.

There is (what they call) a free Super Starter Breakfast for guests with those great Belgian Waffle makers, bread and bagels for toasting, various muffins, fruits, jams, cereals, shelled hard boiled eggs, coffee, tea, milk and fruit juices. Another reason I recommend this Super 8.

Check-out was pleasant and quick with no surprises.

The only problems I can think of and it's really nitpicking.
More AC outlets especially by the bed so I can work on my laptop in bed
Extended toilet bowl for us larger folks They are pretty much standard these days.
That's it.
Other than that Castlegar Super 8 was Super.

There is a restaurant attached to the south end of the hotel called the Black Rooster.
We had dinner at the Black Rooster both nights and we took our guests there.
They have some very good food for a reasonable price. Good service too.

Castlegar is nestled in the Kootenay Mountains where the Kootenay and Columbia Rivers meet.
We didn't have much time to look around the local area but I took a drive out to one of the nearby dams and even on that short drive I saw lots of breathtakingly beautiful sites.
I must return to Castlegar for an extended stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bunky_boy
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed at the Super 8 this August, 2010. The room was clean and very large. It overlooked the indoor pool. Beds were comforted, staff friendly. Can't wait to go back. The best place we stayed on our whole vacation to B.C.

The location is perfect, the Black Rooster Restaurant is next door. Safeway, Liquor Store are right next door.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2010

After another 15 hour day I pulled into Super 8. Check in was painless even pleasant. My room was clean & fresh. This hotel is well built. Very solid. There is a large pool for those who enjoy a dip. For me, well I was very satisfied with the room and the overall stay. There is plenty of parking. I mean lots. There is a very large conti b'fast each morning just off the lobby. I suggest to you, stay at this Super 8 while in Castlegar. If I could give 6 stars I would.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Benjamin B
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Love the location of this hotel. Since we stay for weeks at a time, the kitchenette rooms are a must. With the Safeway just across the parking lot, it made life much easier at the end of a long day at work. Also, a wonderful beer and wine shop downstairs, ( my favorite shop in all of Castlegar!) And the Black Rooster Restaurant next door is good, great staff every time I have been there.
No oven in the kitchenette means we have to use the microwave more that we would like. Some rooms have a fry pan, some dont, some have a sharp knife, some dont. Housekeeping is hit and miss, they come every day, but if they empty the garbage, sometimes they forget to put a new garbage bag in the can. Just little things like that sometimes. But when you have a kitchen, you need a bag in the trash.
Air conditioners work in some rooms, but not in others. We had a king bed that was fine. There was plenty of space in the king kitchenette room. But the internet is horrible! I felt like I was back in the days of dial-up, and you cant conduct any online business with that pathetic internet service. When you check in, they give you a code to punch in for access. The next morning, at 5am, I am down to the lobby to get a new access code?? After that, it was usually good for a day or two. I am going to be there for a couple of weeks, why cant I have a code that will last that long? Front desk staff can be good, or awful. When we stay at a hotel for the first time, we tip at the end of the stay, just to see if the staff does their job according to tips or if they just do a good job. As the days went by, our housekeeping staff showed that they are the type that works according to tips...so were tipped accordingly.
The key cards are awful as well, most of the time, you have to try again and again to get the door to unlock. If you get a good one...hold onto it!
All in all, a good enough stay. But if it wasnt for the bed, we would stay at the Sandman again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mama40
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I would like to share our experience: I was so sickened by our stay that I have been communicating with the manager over the past month with no resolution, so I am using this forum to warn future guests to be aware of potential disappointments. We checked in and refused 2 of the 3 rooms we were shown because of cleanliness issues. We chose the one that appeared to be the least dirty, at least that was what we thought.
At this point we should have left, but it was 11:00pm, and we had travelled 8 hours with a 3 year old to attend a funeral the next day. On getting ready for bed, my 3 year old son picked up a man's big toenail clipping off the bathroom floor. This bothered me so much, I phoned down to the front desk and was told there were no other suites available as we had already seen them all. My impression was that if the room had been cleaned at all, it was certainly not done well enough as there were smudges on the counters and mirrors and the kitchen was greasy. (We had no intention of using the kitchen, but we did need to use the bathroom!) The side of the bathtub had urine stains and the toilet had fecel matter stuck to the outside of it.
When we checked out, we were told we would thave to wait until Monday to speak to the manager, so I reluctantly paid for the room thinking we could resolve this matter with the manager over the phone. We had used our Entertainment Book card for a discount, and was then informed that since we got a discount we should be happy with sub-standard service. Our disappointing and sickening stay at the Super 8 Castlegar was not so Super, and ruined our day that should have been spent comforting grieving family and friends.
To add insult to our disappoinment, the manager informed us that after consulting with her staff, she was told that WE had trashed the room. I feel compelled to warn future guests of the kind of shocking customer abuse! The last communication we had with the manager was a voice message saying we were done with the issue.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family