“Funky little hotel.”
Review of Chameleon Hotel

Chameleon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Castlegar
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

This in town hotel is in the process of being rescued and remodeled. There are a number of rooms that are completed. Some have A/C. We spent a perfectly nice time there. Good bed, nice sheets.

The front door and hallways are a bit funky but serviceable. This is not a heritage building, just old.

One nice feature is that there is access to a kitchen. Fridge, microwave, hot plate, sink, & coffee maker are all down the hall in the kitchen.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

The scene, winter, the front door looks like it was rescued from a demolition site. I keep buzzing to get the owner to let me in, finally a lady that lives there in the winter let's me in. The owner, a very pleasant lady from German arrives. Inside the hotel it is in various stages of remodeling. The room number 101 has been redone. No heat in the halls and the room heater is turned off, it is winter I remind you. The room has been painted and the mattress looks new, so I take it. The flat screen TV is a nice touch, no drinking glasses. It takes until morning to get the room warm, it is very quiet. Luckily my wife brought two quilts to keep us warm. I liked it because it was downtown, but that is about it. Let the buyer beware.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Douglas P
Marina K, Owner at Chameleon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2017

Thank you for your comment. Just a little remainder for people like you. The reason you stayed was not just down town , most important was the price . and to keep the price low i have to reduce the costs. We have heated one room at a time and sometimes happened one gets a cold room if came few min later. Better to call few minutes before arriving to get for sure warm room. But. I always show the room , explain the situation and the choice to stay or not is yours. Also, i showed you the common kitchen on the floor there you can find all the dish, cutlery, glasses , cups and also everything for a continental breakfast. I think thats pretty fare for $65 Canadian dollar. But some people just have a high demands and a low budget . thats is a bad combination and most of the time they try to make it my fault. Its not.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

Even though the hotel looks run down on the outside,the owners are working very hard to update the inside. The room we stayed in was bright and clean,no offensive smells. The owners are very friendly and try hard to accommodate the guests. After checking reviews of the other hotels in town,this place was not so bad.
I wish the owners well on the success of making this a place everyone will be happy to spend a night or two in.

Room Tip: The owners will let you check out the room before booking,if you desire.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

I wish all our guests are so nice and understanding. Its was pleasure to have you in our place.
Have a great day.

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

The staff here are great. They are friendly, helpful and make you feel like home. The room we stayed in was recently renovated and felt cozy. The restaurant in the hotel has a very good spaetzle that you should try.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marko M

Thank you very much . have a great day

Reviewed 24 August 2016

I don't really know what to say about this hotel The new owners are new and apparently bought this run down hotel in the hopes of bringing it back to its glory. We were there on a Sunday which let us park in front of the hotel. Otherwise we would of had to park on the street. The area the hotel is located kind of gave us the creeps. The owners are very nice and the room was redone and clean. But we had to walk up (no elevator) to the room in a very creaky stairway and hallway. I don't know if I feel comfortable of the area to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roadseniors
Hartmut K, Manager at Chameleon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2016

You people have decide to yourselves what you want. I showed you the room, you walked on the stairs and you have to make a decision.
If you have a high demand and a low budget, that is not my problem and don't put your bad mood on me.

Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

I am totally unsatisfied with the owners, I had made a booking, and when I got there they turned me away saying they didn't have it anymore. They were not willing to help me with accommodations, they blamed everything on me.
I didn't even get to see the inside, and I will not ever go back, it was the worst experience I have had with a place to stay.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Sammie H
Hartmut K, Owner at Chameleon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2016

Dear Sammie.
We would appreciate very much if you don't come back. We don't welcome rude people in our place.
You provide booking. com with false information and false credit card. And here you are lying again. I called to Flamigo motel and reserved the room for you. I don't know if you got there but I can call and find out.
You should stop cheating around and you will be surprised how nice the world can be to you.
Have a nice day

Reviewed 2 August 2016

We try to stay here everything we come to Castlegar. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. They have done such a good job renovating it. Owners are always friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple