Message from Tripadvisor:This business is temporarily closed until 2021-05-02
Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Get Off the Fence and Get on the Boat!

I went on this tour on the recommendation of a friend. I'm glad I did as it was a life-changing... read more

Reviewed November 5, 2019
Preston241
Lethbridge, Canada
Grizzly bear expedition - amazing experience

My husband and I had planned a whale watching trip, but unexpectedly needed to cancel due to a... read more

Reviewed October 17, 2019

from US$183.39
from US$118.18
from US$121.77
More Info
All reviews captain john grizzly bears whale watching humpback whales bute inlet first nations killer whales top deck salmon great trip quadra island bear watching safety talk roosevelt elk grizzly tour boat ride their natural habitat
Selected filters
Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I booked this tour and were not disappointed. The tour was excellent in every respect. The service personnel were friendly and professional. The first Nations tribal members were also fantastic. We saw lots of bears. Thank you.

Simply a first-class operation.

Date of experience: September 2018
TayaM32, Front Office Manager at Discovery Marine Safaris Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2018

Hi Don,

Thank you for joining us on a Grizzly Expedition and taking the time to share you review with us. I am so glad to hear you had such a great trip!

Reviewed September 27, 2018

Were fortunate enough to be on this extremely well organised trip to the Bute Inlet on 12th September. Friendly and helpful Captain and crew and excellent guides at the Homalco Reserve. We were lucky enough to see 14 grizzlies - a totally awesome experience - including 2 cubs fighting over a salmon which their mother had just caught! I could not rate this trip highly enough and, judging by the other reviews, it is consistently excellent. I am only sorry we did not book on the whale watching excursion as our experience out of Tofino was disappointing. Many thanks for the collection/delivery from April Point..

Date of experience: September 2018

Sounds like you had a great trip out there! It is hard to describe just how special the trip is until you are actually there witnessing these magnificent animals in their natural habitat. We are fortunate to have a fantastic team of Captains, Crew and Office staff to make these experiences happen. We also are thrilled to have a fantastic partnership with the Holmalco First Nation to welcome us to their land and showcase their land and the wildlife that live there.

Thank you for choosing us for your Grizzly Bear Expedition -- maybe we will see you again one day for a whale watch trip!

Reviewed September 24, 2018 via mobile

While the tourists typically complain about the weather, the rain was good for the Grizzly and good for the salmon. Gorgeous ride up to Bute Inlet. Stopped at a gigantic group of Pacific White Sided Dolphins on the way up. Wow! Arrived st the Homolco First Nations bear camp and headed out to see the Grizzly Bears. We were not disappointed! Mom and two cubs gorging on fish. We watched them got close to an hour and this was just the beginning! Ended the trip with20 Grizzly Bears spotted. A stellar day indeed. The two last stops for bears put us behind schedule and there was no time for the gift shop. A little over two hours later and we were back in Campbell River, greeted with rain that made the departure rain feel like a mere shower!

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much taking the time to provide your feedback with us! I am thrilled to hear you had such a great trip -- very special to see the Pacific White Sided Dolphins! They are one my of favorites to see, so playful and exciting.

I agree with you, that while yes the rain can be a bit of a disappointment for us and our customers, we and the bears both are happy to see it! We do live in a rain forest after all, and everything thrives when we get it.

Thank you for choosing us for your Grizzly Bear Expedition. Hopefully we will see you again one day.

Reviewed September 21, 2018

On the 16th and 18th September 2018 my husband and I went on each of these tours. Both were outstanding with an excellent crew, comfortable boat and knowledgeable guides. On the whale watch tour we witnessed a spectacular Orca hunt of Pacific white sided Dolphins - it could have featured on a National Geographic programme it was so impressive. On the bear watching trip to Bute Inlet the First Nation guides were welcoming and very informative taking us to a number of sites where we witnessed at least 15 grizzly bears some at quite close quarters, but viewing safely from a viewing platform. Couldn't have asked for more!

Date of experience: September 2018
TayaM32, Front Office Manager at Discovery Marine Safaris Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2018

Hi Kath,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! So glad to hear you two great trips! I have heard the whale watch you were on was a pretty spectacular one. Sounds like the grizzly tour was as well. 15 bears, wow!

Thank you for choosing us for your Whale and Grizzly watching trips. Hopefully we will see you again one day.

Reviewed September 21, 2018

We booked a trip for 18th September 2018. it started out rather damp and raining as we boarded the boat for the 2.5 hour trip to Bute Inlet. we left the boat and were met by some first nations people. we were taken by bus to a building for a safety briefing and small exhibition. Shortly after we got onto a bus and were taken to the first location where bears were expected to be. we were not disappointed as in the distance we could see a couple of mum's each with cubs. after about 40 minutes we drove to the next site. when we arrived there were no bears to be seen but within a few minutes several bears with cubs walked past only a few metres away.
A great day

Hi Richard,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and taking the time to post a review. We always love to hear feedback from our guests. Sounds like an excellent day, despite the rain. It is always amazing to see the Grizzly's but I think its a little extra special to see a mum and her cubs!

Hopefully we will see you again one day.