“Love the food here”

James Street Cafe & Grill
Ranked #62 of 664 Restaurants in Burnaby
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: two blocks east of Boundary
Reviewed January 3, 2017

Great food, great atmosphere and friendly service.. The Grilled Nyama Choma platter is my favorite. I am always running into people I know over hre and that adds to the experience.

Reviewed December 14, 2016

Was here for a staff dinner party and the service was buffet with appies served family style. With a name like the James Street Cafe & Grill, you wouldn't expect the East Indian influence on the menu, but that's what is featured here. The food is Western-friendly (i.e. butter chicken) and tame enough for timid palates... I'm not sure they were used to hosting a big event but they tried their best and mostly succeeded, with smiles on their faces, so kudos and two big thumbs up to them for that!

Reviewed December 6, 2016

This place is close to work so we dine here for business lunches, the food is pretty good, they have an interesting selection that has a spicy Indian character along with more mainstream items. They try hard to be kind of fancy, with linen tablecloths and a fireplace but the service can be kind of indifferent and on cold days the place is very cold indeed. My last lunch everyone in the dining room had their coats on. If you're in the neighborhood and don't want to drive too far I recommend it, as there's nothing else worth eating at for at least a few miles in any direction, and as I say, the food is quite good.

Reviewed November 30, 2016

After many years of having work related trips to that neighbourhood, and a secondary home for years I finally discovered this fantastic restaurant with take out options.
It is located on the North Side of Canada Way a few blocks W of Boundary Rd. and it has good parking, in a corner next to a mechanic garage, the parking lots are joined,
The list of items to choose is impressive, the portions are VERY generous and the prices are low considering the amount of quality food you get,
I don't do the 1 foot sandwich any more in Burnaby since I discovered this place. The reason is that with less money I get a cooked meal that tastes delicious, it feels comforting, not something you eat "in emergency when you are away from home". I set the table, I use my china and cutlery and it feels like a home-made meal. If people are working near by and if possible, just order a take out from them and enjoy, they use plastic dishes that are perfect for their stews and give you plastic cutlery. I had the must delicious curries and masalas, it is more like a North African Style of cooking which I find fantastic.
The staff is SUPER friendly and very efficient. They offer you a chai tea if you have to wait for your food. I have seen entire parties who obviously made reservations. It is a busy place specially in the evenings but if you call to order they tell you when you can come to pick up your order...If you like food with fantastic flavours you must stop to eat there or order a take out.

1  Thank MarriedAnd-Over-50
Reviewed November 30, 2016 via mobile

First time here and I enjoyed it very much. My father in law doesn't eat out much and it was his fave restaurant but he said the quality in meat went down as well as the spicyness of the food. I did not know, I enjoyed it and the staff were good too.