“Worth the admission”

Greater Vancouver Zoo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open year round and located only 45 minutes from Vancouver, Step Into The Wild at the largest zoo in BC! Discover the sights and sounds of over 140 species on 120 acres in the beautiful Fraser Valley! Experience the Zoo your way by bringing your own wagons, roller blades, bikes, skateboards, and picnic lunches. The playground and large picnic areas are great for birthdays, company BBQ's, group events or family picnics. In the summer, spend a Night In The Wild as you camp overnight inside the Zoo, and be sure to sign up for one of our popular Junior Zoologist Day Camps! Since 1970, the Greater Vancouver Zoo is focused on education and conservation.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 28 September 2017

Entry admission is comparable with that of the Vancouver Aquarium and Science World and well worth it for the 5 hours of enjoyment that it provided. I took my two grandchildren, ages 6 and 8 and we loved exploring the expansive grounds and learning about the animals, many of which we had never seen before. I was impressed with the spaciousness of the habitats and the outbuildings which provide shelter for the animals when needed. We didn't have time to see any of the shows, ie. the lion feeding or raptor display but that is for another visit. We saved the train ride, Vivarium and playground for last. The kids loved it and didn't want to leave.

GVZoo, Guest Relations Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit at our facility. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Great visit first time there in about 20'years. my 4 grandsons. Daughter and son-in-law had a wonderful weekday visit. Great walking path easy to maneuver the stroller. we were lucky enough to visit on the last day of the train ride for the season. 6 and 3 year old grandsons loved it. we were also lucky enough to arrive in time to watch the lion feelings. Very informative. well spoken docents helpful and took the time to interact and answer questions. nice way to spend the day

Reviewed 24 September 2017

Huge variety of animals and reptiles. Well worth spending a couple of hours wandering the property. Watching the hippo's feed was very cool. We've been there with younger children, this trip was with our kids now they were young adults. They loved it all over again. I think they enjoyed it more this time than when they were younger, both great experiences.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I bought an annual pass for the zoo because I enjoy walking it for both exercise and pleasure. This is by far the best way to fully appreciate the value of the zoo. The zoo is designed around the welfare of the animals rather than entertaining tourists. For this reason some of the animals may be difficult to spot on a single visit. I have found the animals to appear very healthy and happy in these natural like and spacious surroundings. I have enjoyed watching the grizzly snack on a watermelon and play in the water. The giraffe looks proud and yet elegant as he strolls around. The ostriches appears delighted to stroll around eyeing all of the curious spectators as he grazes in the spacious field. I especially enjoy the cheetahs. the 2nd one is hard to spot as he appear to be shy and when I have spotted him it has been in the outer more spacious cheetah area. The Lion feeding is my favourite as you can really appreciate how wild and fit they are as you watch them run after their lunch. The birds of prey show is also very entertaining. There is so much to see if you have the patience. I really appreciate the family atmosphere where you can bring your own bike or rent the 4 wheeler. They have nice shaded spots to eat your own lunch which my family appreciates. The walk is a pure delight. I have brought family members as well to the zoo and they share my appreciation for putting the animal's welfare first. Yes, as others have said, the zoos buildings could be spruced up a little but I care much less about that than watching the joyful zebras as they sometimes mozy up to the fence to greet me when I visit.

1  Thank Stvmal

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are happy to hear you enjoy your regular visits! Animal health and welfare is our number 1 priority however we are very excited to let you know that we are currently planning extensive renovations to our facility and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

$26 per person plus parking? Seriously? Fam of four for an hours entertainment over a hundred bucks. Nonsense.

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about our facility's admission. Unlike many other Zoos, the Greater Vancouver Zoo is a privately run facility. We don’t receive any government funding, and rely solely on admission rates to operate the Zoo year round.

The Zoo is home to over 140 species on 120 acres. The size of our facility allows us to provide our animals with larger enclosures. As added options, we do allow our guests to bring in outside food and drinks. We offer coupons, and we have an ongoing cell phone recycling program that allows guests to receive 2 for 1 admission when they bring in an old cell phone for recycling (the phone doesn't even need to be working). We do continually review our prices to ensure they are competitive with other attractions in the lower mainland.

Thanks again for the review and we hope you'll consider visiting us again in the future!