“Depressing”

Greater Vancouver Zoo
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open year round and located only 45 minutes from Vancouver, Step Into The Wild at the largest zoo in BC! Discover the sights and sounds of over 140 species on 120 acres in the beautiful Fraser Valley! Experience the Zoo your way by bringing your own wagons, roller blades, bikes, skateboards, and picnic lunches. The playground and large picnic areas are great for birthdays, company BBQ's, group events or family picnics. In the summer, spend a Night In The Wild as you camp overnight inside the Zoo, and be sure to sign up for one of our popular Junior Zoologist Day Camps! Since 1970, the Greater Vancouver Zoo is focused on education and conservation.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed December 11, 2017 via mobile

Whole place is just sad. Animals look sad. Employees look sad. Patrons look sad. Animals don't look well cared for. It's depressing.

GVZoo, Guest Relations Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

Our facility is home to over 140 species on 120 acres. We only house animals that were born in captivity, former pets, surrendered animals, rescued or that come from different facilities. Animal health and welfare is our highest priority.

As we are a CAZA (Canada's Accredited Zoos and Aquariums) accredited facility, we adhere to the strictest standards of animal welfare in all of Canada. The accreditation process takes place every five years where we go through a very comprehensive application submission, followed by a review from the CAZA Accreditation Committee Board, and then a team of inspectors is selected from this committee for a 3.5 day on-site inspection. They inspect all aspects of zoo operations including animal health care, exhibits, husbandry of all our animals, educational programs, safety/security, guest services, conservation, research, staff training programs, finance and physical facilities.

Thanks again for the review and we hope you'll consider visiting us again in the future.

All reviews
"wagon"
"stroller"
"talks"

Reviewed December 6, 2017 via mobile

We stopped by here after doing something else in the area. It was a chilly day but still well worth it.
I haven’t been here in probably over 20 years.
My kids absolutely loved the animals and were almost running from one enclosure to the next. They did unfortunately tire faster than I’d hoped, so we will have to return again.
It was amazing actually seeing their faces as we saw many of the animals. My daughter was in awe of the giraffes and the Tiger. Amazing creatures. The way my kids were as they watched the animals was worth it. We took many pictures and my kids love going through them.
The train was not running which was too bad as my kids kept asking about it.
The place does have areas and the playground with picnic tables which are a bit run down. However you can see there is lots of upgrades occurring, and the animals seem well cared for and fed well (which we watched staff feed them at different enclosures). So you can see where money goes.
I used my BCAA for a discount and it wasn’t until I was leaving I realized we would get a discount as we are family pass members of science world. Not the fault of the facility, I think they even had a sign stating that.
We will be returning as my kids have asked already about returning.
We visited the gift shop, and my kids walked away like bandits with some snake things with rattles in their tails.
I feel there should have been more offered in the gift shop.

I recommend visiting this place as my kids loved it, you see animals, and you support places like this for the future.

GVZoo, Guest Relations Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2017

Hello! We are so happy to hear that you had a good experience! We thank you for sharing your experience with us! Yes, unfortunately our train is out of service until further notice (ideally before our peak season!) and we are currently looking into a brand new one to better serve our guests! Don't forget to keep an eye on our Facebook page and our website for fun upcoming events! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2017

Have been to zoo's all over the world and as we were passing decided to call in. It was okay and the animals seemed well cared for, but the whole place was a little tired.

Was worth the entry fee to see the Grizzly Bear.

Not the best, but as I say worth a visit if passing.

GVZoo, Front Office Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our facility. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and had the opportunity to see Shadow, our rescued Silver-tipped Grizzly Bear! Animal health and welfare is our number 1 priority however we are very excited to let you know that we are currently planning extensive renovations to our facility and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 28, 2017

Entry admission is comparable with that of the Vancouver Aquarium and Science World and well worth it for the 5 hours of enjoyment that it provided. I took my two grandchildren, ages 6 and 8 and we loved exploring the expansive grounds and learning about the animals, many of which we had never seen before. I was impressed with the spaciousness of the habitats and the outbuildings which provide shelter for the animals when needed. We didn't have time to see any of the shows, ie. the lion feeding or raptor display but that is for another visit. We saved the train ride, Vivarium and playground for last. The kids loved it and didn't want to leave.

GVZoo, Guest Relations Manager at Greater Vancouver Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit at our facility. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 27, 2017

Great visit first time there in about 20'years. my 4 grandsons. Daughter and son-in-law had a wonderful weekday visit. Great walking path easy to maneuver the stroller. we were lucky enough to visit on the last day of the train ride for the season. 6 and 3 year old grandsons loved it. we were also lucky enough to arrive in time to watch the lion feelings. Very informative. well spoken docents helpful and took the time to interact and answer questions. nice way to spend the day