“pretty good portion”

Golden Fountain Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 24 Restaurants in Athabasca
Reviewed 16 August 2017

pretty good portion, nothing fancy inside but kinda pricy, $15 per dish on average, but you know, small town, no competition right. we are from big city, so of course, I'm not impressed. Staffs are very friendly though. They got burgers and sandwiches on menu too.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

Very friendly staff and delicious Chinese food! Both buffet and menu items were good. I would recommend for a friend.

1  Thank Rebecca W
Reviewed 6 September 2015

Not impressed at all sorry. Was as oridinary as it gets. Staff was friendly though. It looked clean. But still meh...

Reviewed 2 August 2015 via mobile

Looking for a local restaurant while visiting this weekend. Asked at the front desk of my hotel and he recommended to eat anywhere but the two restaurants offering Chinese. I decided to try the one he said was the better of the two. I didn't read any reviews until after I completed my meal so that I wouldn't have preconceived opinions. I ordered the combination E which came with Ginger Beef...not a fan of that so asked to substitute with Chicken Balls. No hesitation and no extra charge.
Atmosphere is typical of most family restaurants; dated carpet, mirrored walls and plastic flowers. The long hallway entering was a bit odd but I decided that sometimes good food can be found in the strangest places. So my meal consisted of Chicken Chow Mein, Fried Rice, Chicken Balls and 2 spring rolls. Large portions, more than one person could eat. Rice was nicely flavored and cooked properly, spring rolls were not of my liking; some flavor was off putting...thinking it was curry. The chow Mein which I was looking for was a failure for me to salty and to much garlic flavour; not a nice combination. But the plate was redeemed by the Chicken Balls, large chunks of white chicken meat surrounded with outer coating that had me reminiscent of the corn fritters one used to get at KFC without the corn of course. I was very satisfied with the rice and chicken balls...my tummy was full.
Young server was very polite and attended the table several times which is nice because most single dinners get ignored. Music that was playing in the restaurant was upbeat and current...made one feel comfortable and cheery.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

First off all, when you enter the restaurant you realize that the building has no windows and it feels like you're entering a stripper bar. This, along with the cheap decorations of fake plants and no music playing, makes for a very uncomfortable eating atmosphere. Next, the menu was very odd in that for a Chinese food restaurant, it did not contain many Chinese food items. This was disappointing because I was excited for Chinese and had wanted some that was from a reliable restaurant. The menu is limited and too expensive for the quality of the food. The ginger beef was quite unpalatable in that it had a cheap and overly hard breaded layer which was covered in a sauce that had a bit too much of a vinegar tart taste. The combo items were served with the sauce packets for the spring rolls just thrown on the plates.
Overall I would suggest avoiding this restaurant.