“Good Place to Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sudbury, Canada
“Good Place to Stay”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I recently had to travel to Orillia and stay overnight so I read reviews to find a decent hotel to stay at. There are many really great reviews of this hotel, so despite not thinking that it was as good as the reviews based on the hotel web site, I decided to stay here anyway as the location was perfect. I'm not sure why some of the reviews are as fantastic as they are. Make no mistake, the Mariposa Inn is a good place to stay, but it is not as over the moon as some would make out.

I chose to book a "fireplace suite". It was more expensive, but I wanted to treat myself. I would have liked a jacuzzi as well, however, Mariposa doesn't have any. The other Best Western in Orillia does have jacuzzi suites. I really didn't see why this one wouldn't as the room was certainly big enough for one. In fact the room layout was a bit puzzling.

It was very large, but long and rectangular. The bed was situated at the far end of the room opposite a dresser with the TV sitting on it. The fireplace was on the same wall as the TV, in about the middle of the room. It was a rather small electric fireplace with a small firebox. There were two rather outdated wing chairs on either side of it, and and a small table right in front of it, blocking the view of the fireplace from the bed. Directly across, and on the same wall as the bed, was a small table and chairs for dinning, or to work at, which had to be moved in order to access a plug in for my computer. It's a good thing that Mac's come with an extra long cord. The door to the room was directly opposite a small, open closet, and the bathroom. The short end of the rectangle formed by the bathroom wall had a kitchenette installed on it. This short wall, however, was large enough for a really large kitchenette.

What was awkward was that the room was huge, but the layout not very efficient. The kitchenette was larger than most people would need, unless on an extended stay, yet there were few dishes, or cutlery to facilitate this. It was big enough that it could have had a hob or element in addition to the kitchen sink. By contrast, the fireplace for the so-called fireplace suite was small and awkwardly situated. I would have rather had a jacuzzi tub than the huge kitchenette.

A jacuzzi tub could have easily occupied a corner of the bedroom, or the bathroom could have been made larger and a jacuzzi incorporated as part of it. The vanity in the bathroom was also incredibly low. I'm tall, but most hotel vanities are of an acceptable height for me. This one made me feel like a giant in Lilliput.

The king sized bed was a nice touch in a fireplace suite, however, I tossed and turned and woke up constantly all night. It was one of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. I don't normally have any trouble sleeping anywhere, in any position, at any time of the day or night, but this was torture. I honestly don't know what exactly kept waking me up, but every time I moved it did. The incredibly noisy, old fashioned air/heat unit on the wall didn't help either.

Others have commented on the old TV's and I will add my voice to that. The sanitized remote was nice, but the sign that said I could get movies on demand (and I would have) didn't tell you enough about how, because despite two university degrees I couldn't access a menu.

Well, so far this doesn't sound like the good place I've described in my title, but the hotel is quite serviceable. It just isn't as amazing as some reviews would have you believe. It seems to be an older place that Best Western has tried hard to remodel and update a bit, but has fallen a bit short on. It was clean, and functional, just overpriced for what you are getting.

They do have a gym and the equipment looked new. I did use the pool and hot tub. The pool is barely more than a wading pool. Even the deep end made me feel like I was in Lilliput again. Most hotel pools are deeper than this, even though they remain shallow enough to minimize liability issues. The hot tub was really good, and kept at a temperature that would allow you to stay in for 15-20 minutes without overheating. I was going to use the sauna, but the hot tub already had me heated nicely. The change rooms/washrooms could be bigger.

The real gem at this hotel is the attached restaurant, The Grape and Olive. Fancier than a Casey's, it has a gourmet menu, and the lamb was exquisite. I was also able to get a glass of really good rosé.

The final quirk I experienced was checking out. I wanted to pay by debit, rather than leaving the bill on my credit card. I was informed that I couldn't do that, "because debit is like 'real money'." Yes, real money. No kidding. I was also told that no other hotel accepted debit either. This is absurd if it truly is the actual practice of the hotel. This alone would make me hesitate to stay here again. I'm always suspicious of a merchant who doesn't like 'real money'. This could, however, be a case of the very young, very blonde woman who was behind the front desk that morning. She was sweet but didn't seem very bright.

Overall, a good, clean, friendly place to stay, but not spectacular by any means.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Steven O, Manager at Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us at BEST WESTERN PLUS Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre. We do apologize you did not have complete satisfaction with your room and services we provided. Your feedback will be taken into consideration to better improve the layout and design for future planning. We are in the process of changing our TV units in the upcoming planning, and hope to offer this soon to better improve this service. Our movie network is available through a designated channel, and full details are available in the directory if required.

I want to take this time to apologize for your check out concerns, as we do accept Cash and Debit payments along with many other forms of payment at all times. We will be following up with our staff to ensure they are properly informed regarding your concerns.

Thank you once again for choosing BEST WESTERN PLUS Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre while you were in Orillia. If you are not satisfied with this response, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel 1-800-461-0283

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I've stayed at many hotels in and around the Orillia area and have never experienced such service as I have at this hotel. From the moment I walked in the hotel the very friendly person at the front desk greeted me with a very big smile (something that rarely happens), the same went for almost everyone else working in the hotel. As for the hotel itself the rooms are average basically what you'd expect from a hotel of this class. The in house restaurant is decent its alright for breakfast, but if you really wanted a change I'd reccomend the nearby restaurants such as Theo's or East Side Marios. The hotel is also situated to the nearby tourist attractions so you will not be travelling a whole lot. In summary I would recommend this hotel for your next stay in the Orillia area.

Room Tip: Try and get a room further from the main desk and lounge area, at some given nights parties can be g...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Steven O, Manager at Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate the kind words about our customer service and I would agree the hotel is situated in a great area of Orillia. I do apologize for the noise from the functions near the main lobby. I will bring it up in a departmental meeting to see if we can come up with a solution so it doesn't affect our other travellers. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stay at the hotel on business occasionally and have not been disappointed. Service is fantastic and the front desk staff is quite accommodating. Rooms are fair and adequately equipped with the necessary amenities. Add the indoor pool, hot tub, fitness room, etc and you have a great hotel at a moderate price. Would suggest to the hotel to upgrade televisions in near future.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Steven O, Manager at Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review! we're glad you enjoyed the hotel and your room. We hope to upgrade our tv's in the near future. We appreciate your feedback it helps us improve our services and ammenities. Thanks again. We hope to see you again!
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2011

The staff and restaurant are 1st class. You can tell everyone loves what they do! Best ever Sunday brunch - yummy!! Beds are super comfortable. They should upgrade to flat screen TV's soon as the reception is not the best - but other than that, everything else was FANTASTIC! Best customer service ever. Will come back next time we are going to Casino Rama! Good job BW team!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we are very happy you had a great stay and we will share your positive comments with our BW team. We hope to upgrade our tv's in the near future. Thanks again for your review we appreciate the feedback. We hope to see you again.
Ottawa
Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel has been in Orillia under various names for at least 30 years. I had not been in for a very long time. You can tell that the original floor plan was a Holiday Inn, but they have done a good job maintaining the place and everything worked properly and was clean.

The staff were helpful and courteous.

We were very impressed with the restaurant. We had an excellent meal for 8 for a very good price.

Room Tip: You will get a better rate during the week, but on the weekend they were still willing to offer a mo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. I'm happy to hear your had such a wonderful experience in our restaurant. We appreciate your kind words about the hotel and was glad to hear that you felt it was well maintained and clean. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Falcon Heights, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 17 December 2011

After a long day of travel by car I was just looking for a quiet place to eat and sleep. The desk clerk was professional and authentically pleasant, the room was large and well appointed, and the shower was wonderful. Onsite food was good as well. The price is high, but that has to do more with the weakness of the US Dollar than anything else. Overall, this was my best hotel stay in this four day trip.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your room and our hotel. I'm so happy to hear it was the best stay of your trip!

Thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back.
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Overal a pleasant experience with regards to accommodation and restaurant, however there was major missunderstandings with the front desk staff who seemed to lack training.
I was shocked to find several days after check out a security deposit $100 had been applied to the room and two holds still on my credit card for the room and also the dinner for almost $500 although the bill was paid in full on check out.
It was a frustrating experience from the property to have these removed and a total lack of compassion, will not stay at this property again.
Paul and Brenda McDonald

1 Thank Paul M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. I am very sorry about the experience you had in regards to the held authorizations. It is standard procedure at any hotel to do authorizations on credit cards that are above the price of the room + extra for any incidentials (such as restaurant charges). The hold comes off automatically in a few business days (depending on the credit card provider). Thanks again for your feedback I hope this explains the authorization better for you and helps to change your mind about the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orillia
4.2 km away
1.3 km away
Knights Inn Orillia
Knights Inn Orillia
#6 of 14 in Orillia

Been to Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!