New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Orillia Opera House
Toronto
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Holiday Play - well done by youngsters - TERRIBLY RUDE STAFFER”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Adore theatre, the arts, live entertainment. Was brought up aorund it (for which I will always be thankful). Try and attend as much locel theatre wherever I may be in my travels of the world. Discerned a locally produced Holiday play and attended. Though tickets COULD be procured through the website I decided to call to get recommendations from staff (if they could) re best seat selection (there were MANY available and at time of show the house was still barely one seventh full).

The woman on the phone in their box office was BEYOND pompas and rude - hee I was all happy and excited to learn then book my seat for the show, and I get this crap-ola woman. Gee thank you for enciting me to attend entertainment here!

I listened too her --- went along with her condescending manner/tone/overture, and got off the phone as quickly as possible deciding NOT to purchase a few days before yet get to the day of the show and decide whether or not to attend (and just go to the theatre and roll the dice).

Did decide to go - absolutely encounted the sam ewoman (could 'picture' her when we were engaged on the phone -- -it was 'her' when I walked in to the theatre's box-office). Just as rude and snarky and baren of perceived joy --- felt sorry for her.

Oh --- and she had this whole "the first six roiws aren't elevated and they will be a stretch re looking up to the stage". Dear Lord in Heavens ... this is SUCH a small older theatre REALLY there is NOTHING that is going to stretch/affect someone poorly other than the fact they apparently didn't have heat on (everyone, and I mean everyone, kept their full WInter wears on, hats/gloves included).

The seats themselves are cumfy enough and serve their purpose.

Stairs to go up and down in to the theatre (I'm cool with it, but just so you know).

Parking was simple right beside the building (and some on street) yet easier/best if you life in the area an dcan walk.

Several little restaurants and coffee shops around in the sadly now more baren than not downtown core!

Keep supporting local entertainment/arts please (and maybe the OOH can get new staff in their B.O.!? - PLEASE)

Btw .... the performance/performers that eve; well done all!!!! (One had 'issues' witrh projecting a STELLAR amount over others --- time will help that 'conditiion' :)

Visited December 2011
4 Thank SWFTravelsALot

Burlington, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Old, charming, intimate, in need of some TLC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

Went to the Orillia Opera House this past June to see a show. This well-seasoned building with its much storied history did look her age, and perhaps was in need of some TLC, but regardless, the structure itself was tremendously impressive. Once inside you felt transported back in time. While standing in the foyer I could actually feel the ghosts of days gone past drifting up and down its grand staricases.

The Orillia Opera House is a favourable venue to see a show. It has wonderful sightlines (even the last row in the house has excellent seats). The theater only fits 700+ people so it's perfectly intimate.

My only negative comment would be that the sound system needed adjustments. The acoustics in this auditorium are supposedly excellent so imagine my frustration struggling to hear the words clearly because of muddled sound. One shouldn't struggle to hear. .

I would gladly recommend the historic Orillia Opera House to anyone. The old girl still exudes plenty of warmth and charm and makes for an attractive place to visit. My wife and I sat in the 3rd row so perhaps sitting farther back would improve the sound. I'm not sure, but we would certainly try that if we found ourselves back that way again.

Visited June 2011
3 Thank krustytripper
Oakville, Canada
325 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 293 helpful votes
“Unique Building For Theatre Goers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Drove past this place on the weekend while going to East Side Mario's for diner from our hotel. Haven't been to this place since the 1970's were I attended a Gang Show put on the by the local Boy Scouts. Remember the big comfortable seating and good site lines to see the staging of this variety show. I see that this theatre has alot of different shows playing and this caught my attention as I remember taking a college college devoted to the poor theatres in the different parts of Toronto in the 1970's. Even on Channel 3 from Barrie's CKVR, this television station often showed pictures of this historical place. The citizens of Orillia, Ontario should be proud of this fact!

Visited August 2011