“Overall trip was good, but management was unsettling”

Island Quest Marine
More attraction details
Owner description: For whale watching Island Quest Marine delivers a true Bay of Fundy whale & wildlife adventure. Explore the Bay of Fundy tides aboard our custom-built cruiser, the 13.41-m (44 ft.) M/V Island Quest. Enjoy comfort and speed along with the experience of our LOCAL captain's, whose lifetime on the bay makes for a unique and authentic adventure! Cruise past scenic lighthouses, herring weirs and aquaculture sites on the way to the whales' playground. Knowledgeable marine biologists provide interpretation while you spot humpback, finback, minke and North Atlantic right whales, along with seals, porpoises and eagles. Discover the sea creatures in our onboard touch tank, feel samples of whale baleen and indulge in a seafood snack and refreshment on the way back from your ultimate adventure!
Reviewed 6 December 2016

I have to apologize for such a late review. I am just trying to catch up on some things that I have put on the back-burner. First of all, I spent two weeks in the beautiful St. Andrews with my wife in Late July and early August. We visited several attractions and restaurants while there, including Island Quest Marine and another whale watching boat (Quoddy Link Marine), which I will be writing a review about as well, as our first trip with Island quest had some issues.
The Bay of Fundy is beautiful and the boat is clean and the staff are professional. I remember the Captain's name that day (Chris) as him and his Wife Caroline are the owners. There were two guides as well, Dean and Lexie I believe. It was a nice sunny day, but the ride was rough on our way back in and my wife wasn't feeling so well along with another lady on board. Now I know that catamaran style boats are the most smooth riding boats and I asked Caroline over the phone when I made my reservation if this boat was a catamaran. She said yes and that their boat is the most stable out of all the company boats. Come to find out it was a lie.
My next issue was with Captain Chris. I found that the staff were great, but the owners have to rethink how they behave sometimes. On our way back to town, when the waves were rough and crashing over the back of the boat, Dean escorted some of the group inside so that they wouldn't get wet while he revealed a touch tank! I thought this was thoughtful and very interesting, but half way through his talk Captain Chris turned around in his chair and interrupted him with something quite rude. Something like "you know nobody can hear you. You think you would have learned that the first time..". I'm not sure what he meant by that comment but I was very happy with his presentation and he was audible to the whole room and many people called out the Captain saying that we could all hear him and that he was doing a great job. When we got back, I made sure to complain to the lady at the front desk who wasn't Caroline but some younger gal who was very nice.
I am giving a 2-star rating for this company solely due to the lie Caroline told me and how rude Chris was to the wonderful young man working on board. I recommend going out with another company. Quoddy link was a much nicer experience. It was a steadier ride too as it is an official catamaran boat.

7  Thank Top S
There are newer reviews for Island Quest Marine

Reviewed 3 December 2016

The staff, boat and commentary are excellent. A little slower than the Zodiak but an excellent relaxing trip with a well informed crew. Lots of co-operation between the boats to find whales and a knowledgeable crew.

2  Thank RoyalWestmoreland
Reviewed 24 October 2016

We realized a childhood dream on that sunny afternoon when we sailed to the bay of Fundy. Not only did we get to see whales up close, but they were North Atlantic ''right'' whales, very rare as there are now only a few hundreds specimen left in the world ! We also saw porpoises and fin back whales ! We stayed for about four hours at sea around the same group of whales. Our captain and our marine biologist gave us a lot of useful information, and we got to touch starfish, a whale tooth, and we got offered a delicious salmon spread on toast and free drinks ! The whole experience was very enjoyable and we learned so much about the region and about marine mammals ! Highly recommended.

3  Thank Abcynthe
Reviewed 9 October 2016

We were very fortunate to see 4 finback whales. They put on a good "show" and the captain did a great job of staying close without crowding the whales. We also got to see some seals on the way out.

Island Quest is very organized and their web site provided a good explanation and set expectations appropriately. We got a web site discount when we reserved.

The boat was very clean, well maintained with a lot of shade inside the main hull and outside at the back. There was a lot of seating inside. The number of people that can go up top is limited for safety, but the crew made sure everyone got a chance.

I liked having the 2 naturalists on the boat to explain what we were likely to see. Even the captain gave a few descriptions of the salmon cages and islands.

2  Thank infolific
Reviewed 27 September 2016

Island Quest is one of the best tours. The Captain (Chris) and the two biological on board were very informative about the whales we seen. Nicole and Dean, the biologist on board, were very kind, hard working, smart, and dedicated to making sure everybody learned some information on the whales. Also on things we seen on our boat such as seals, birds, salmons farms ect. They also served crackers, smoked salmon and iced tea on the way back. Be sure to bring a camera. This is a trip I will remember forever. I would recommend anyone visiting St. Anderws to do this whale watching tour.

2  Thank lovnthebeach