“Fluorescent lights flickered like a gritty sci-fi movie”

Days Inn - Riviere-du-Loup
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Riviere du Loup
Reviewed 25 August 2011

They make you pay in full when checking in. There's a reason for that.

This is an old motel. The hallways and stairs are narrow, with an unpleasant odour of stale tobacco. The rooms are in desperate need of a refit. The beds sag a bit. The fluorescent light in our bathroom flickered like the lights in a gritty sci-fi movie.

The windows don't open and the air conditioner emitted an unpleasant odour. Even with the machine on the room was extremely stuffy.

The cot was not made up for us; we had to do it ourselves.

Although relatively cheap at $139, it was still poor value.

Stay away!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael047
There are newer reviews for Days Inn - Riviere-du-Loup

Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stopped in Riviere du Loup on our way home from PEI. It was not a planned stay. I was able to walk in and as we have 3 children, the front desk offered us a cabin which would give us more space. The cabins were very cute and had a full kitchen. We had a view of the St. Lawrence River and it was very quiet at night. The kids loved the pool and the breakfast was nice. All staff were able to communicate in English when my French wasn't cutting it. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank RebeccaS28
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Booked this through expedia and was more than disappointed. Pretty dodgy room. Small "motel" really - pictures on the web were disceiving Bed absolutely like a rock. Room was clean though. Desk staff couldn't have cared less about being helpful. Breakfast was very unappetizing. We don't normally complain about much, but this was a place we'll never visit again. On our return trip we stayed at Hotel Universal and this was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelsx2
Reviewed 11 August 2010

The hotel facility is ok. I had a confirmed rate of 116 which was confirmed at check in. I noticed when I checked out I was charged 123. I asked the desk clerk why and she said she didn't know but was completely unable to help me. When protested saying this was not right or fair she became rude. I left without satisfaction and angry... on my vacation. I called the hotel when I returned, and they said the rate was manually changed but gave no reason for it. They eventually tried to make it right, but it wasn't worth the frustration. To me it is unthinkable that a reputable chain would unilaterally refuse to honor their confirmed rate (without notifying me) and then argue with me about it. The clerk said she would follow up with the manager (who was not there) but didn't. I never was able to speak to manager; wasn't there when I called back either.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Peppegeo
Reviewed 6 December 2009

My wife and I were in 103, a very good room that functioned well for two adults.
Continental Breakfast is unexciting but plentiful.
Stores are less then 5 mins drive away.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the years and find it to be one of the best values in Riviere du Loup. After a long drive it is a welcome place to relax for a few hours. The beds are comfortable and the pool is usually a welcome addition. It wasn't open yet when I was there. I haven't eaten at this hotel so I can't really rate the breakfast. The staff have always been friendly and helpful. I don't like the stairs to the second floor as they are slippery when wet and not fun with luggage. Other than the stairs I have no complaints.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bigfatoldguy
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We had had a long day of driving in the rain, and I did not want any surprises; when we hit Riviere de Loup, I went with TA's #1 motel in town. It was a fair deal and a decent room. The place had everything we needed and breakfast was fine. The feel was slightly dated, there was a colossal spider web in the stairwell, one bed made weird scrunchy sounds when sat upon, and the toilet seat was loose, but all par for the course with motels. I guess I award 3 stars instead of 4 because the place is utterly devoid of character. I will forget it with the dozens of other stays in chain motels in recent years.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family