“Rude!”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Qualicum Beach
British Columbia, Canada
“Rude!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I had booked well in advance. We travelled from Ontario, hoping to have an enjoyable time in the area. The staff were not very accomodating at all. Our site was on top of another one almost, there was no privacy. Everything they offered cost extra, which I would not have mined if I was told upfront. When my car broke down, I had asked if I could have the site for one more night since I had a trailer. They said they were booked and there was nothing they could do...Hello how was I to move a trailer when my car was in the garage! The couple next to me offered to share their site, at least someone had some common sense! Then they tried to charge me extra and extra for the waterslide as we were now not guests. I paid the extra fee. Then the gentleman next to me, although paid in advance for a week, they tried to say his time was done because they double booked the site...I will never go there again and I would not recommend it to anyone! It was not clean and they are very pricey..there are better places on the Island!

Room Tip: scope out your options, there is many other places to stay. Don't let the waterslide or mini go...
8 Thank Tammy K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lethbrige ,Alberta,Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay with Sharon at her Motel and campground for the month of September. We enjoyed meeting the kids Victoria and Emerson. We stayed in cabin #35 and found it to be very clean,bright and cheery. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and we will certainly be back. The offseason rates are very affordable. We would heartily recommend this motel and campground for families both during the regular as well as athe offseason.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank thymat
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Hi, I camped here for three nights. The place is nice. It is the only camping site with slides in the whole area. The weather didn't cooperate. The pool was not very warm. They claim is heated pool, but barely. At least to me. Even in the sunny day (21-24 degrees) kids and adults constantly complained about how cold it was. The slide was good. Kids seem to be having a lot of fun going down on it. The staff was nice, but does not do anything to go above average. They advertise hot showers, but when I went to the take one, I found out, I had to pay for it with loonies. It would be nice they offer all info people may need ahead of time and give them options. Same as the internet code. These are things most people need, but never mentioned or offered to me.

For most, we had a great time. Nice and safe playground and mini-golf. True 18 hole. The place is good. Most camping sites are nice. I find some campgrounds want to take advantage of even the last corner and put people in awkward spots with lots of traffic, this wasn't the exception. My camping site had a weird shape... it was long and not a lot of grass.... hard to get to the plug. No big deal though. I would suggest to do something about the pool; have it warmer or have a hot tub too.

There is a grocery store which is very convenient and very well stocked up and prices are reasonable.

I would go back, but only in true summer weather though!

Room Tip: Do a reservation... ask for a site close to the river or in the back, to avoid traffic and noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Kat R
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

We held a three day family reunion here with 45 people, including children ranging in age from one month to fifteen years. It was a perfect venue for all of us. The children had plenty to do and loved the centre grassy area for tag and soccer, etc. We rented most of the cabins in the grassy area so we were able to stay all together. The mini golf, pools and waterslides were very popular with our group, and we made good use of the barbeque pit and large canopy for group dinners and gatherings. The cabins were great and had everything we needed. Deb and the rest of the staff were terrific and very accomodating when it came to planning our reunion. We'd all love to do it again!!

Room Tip: Book well in advance. The resort is very popular.
Port Coquitlam, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We had a family reunion with 45 people (all ages). It was the perfect venue for this. Lots for the small and big kids to do! We will definately go back!

Port Hardy, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Riverside is the ultimate summer holiday destination for my grandsons & I because they are happy there!
This year was our 4th visit and we book a year ahead to make sure we are 'in'. Everything about the place is perfect for our needs, there is lots to do at the resort, but best of all, the kids can be kids in this relaxed and happy atmosphere.
In fact, I've noticed that if there are kids in the pool later than the posted closing time, they just extend the time. It magically quiets right down at night, thank you very much!
The location is excellent for being central to other attractions (we daytrip to Long Beach to surf), and it has a rural park like setting.
As mentioned in other reviews, the unit is well stocked, so our picnic style cooking is easy, and much cheaper than eating out, and the store has any essentials you may have forgotten, at reasonable prices. The staff are friendly and helpful, especially Deb, the manager!
I highly recommend Riverside, and hope to be returning for many years to come like my friend Maureen (year 20 in 2012!)

Kelowna, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

I booked this resort in advance because of their availablity to accomodate a family of five. I thought at the time it was a bit pricy but we wanted to ensure we had appropriate accomodations. When we arrived the front end staff was very nice and accomodating, we initially thought the room was great. It was two bedroom condo style, lots of room for our three teenage boys.
It didn't take long to discover just how run down this place was. The room smelled like moldy bread, the paint on the walls & stair rails was peeling very badly, the fan in the bathroom never shut off and wasn't barely strong enough to move even the slightest amount of moisture from the room. Even though we had a non smoking room, there were at least 6 other guests outside their rooms with lawn chairs and ashtrays smoking like chimney's immediately adjacent to our room, we had to walk through all that just to get to our door. Day turns to night and we discovered as we attempted to go to bed the comforter and sheets in the rooms were covered in stains & old paint, the carpeted floor was covered in old nacho chip crumbs. We immediately went to the front desk and requested they change the bedding, they did begrudgingly. The owner kept saying "it's only dryed paint, no big deal" Took pictures of the mysterious brown stains on the mattress?? We soon discovered the walls are paper thin, no fire wall and the young toddler next door screamed all night off and on, the sound was like he was right there in the same room with us, didn't get a whole lot of sleep. the water slide wasn't available because it was raining??? and of course if you want to play mini golf or use the water slide it costs extra, on top of the already over priced room rates. Don't fall into the same trap we did and believe the advertising, For the age, condition and cost of this motel, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone!!!!

9 Thank birniefamily
0.8 km away
Buena Vista by the Sea
Buena Vista by the Sea
#4 of 10 in Qualicum Beach

Been to Riverside Resort & Campground? Share your experiences!