“Family Fun!”

4-Hour Vertical Cave Challenge in Horne Lake
US$35.90*
2-Hour Outdoor Rock Rappel Training in Horne Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Check out the Vancouver Island Underworld! Open year round for exploration above and below ground. Tours range from easy family tours all the way to the "Underground Extreme" where explorers rappel down a seven-storey waterfall! Or try the "3 hr. "Wet & Wild" Spelunking Adventure. Next door to the Horne Lake Campground where visitors will find lakefront campsites, canoe & kayak rentals, free parking & picnic area, boat launch and even camping in a teepee!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Family Fun!”
Reviewed 21 February 2017

We did the 3-hour Wet & Wild Tour, and it was really great. Our group ranged from age 20 - 55, and if there were some tough spaces, we had alternative routes. But we all stepped out of our comfort zone and did just great. Our guide was very careful and encouraging and his knowledge of cave history was very interesting.
Last bit of road to caves was pretty slow...give yourself a good 40 minutes from Qualicum Beach.
We highly recommend this tour for a fun family outing! Oh, great for younger kids, too!

Visited February 2017
1 Thank BluebirdMJ

Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Highlight of our summer!”
Reviewed 30 January 2017

My partner and I went on the 4 hour tour, our first caving experiencing, and it was amazing. I never thought BC had such an extensive cave system. We're 57 and 61, pretty fit, but not rock climbers, and this trip was well within our ability. Our guide was very competent and we felt safe the entire time. We learned a lot about the karst ecosystem. I know it's very delicate and easy to damage, so I washed our gloves and rain gear before the trip so we wouldn't "contaminate" the caves with various soil micro-organisms. It was a truly memorable experience and we raved about it to all our friends.

Visited August 2016
2 Thank NIce2BHere
Surrey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing family fun!”
Reviewed 22 January 2017

We have been there twice and taken friends as well. This is an amazing adventure for either a short trip or the long tour. Definitely recommend this to anyone looking for something different and awesome!

Visited December 2016
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Woah moments around every corner!”
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Horne Lake was my first caving experience and what an eye opener it was! There is so much unique beauty hidden in those caves! Our guide was extremely passionate and eager to share his knowledge about the secrets of each of the three caves we visited. Main cave was our first stop, it began with a slightly narrow entrance, but the guide’s positive energy was just the confidence boost I needed to spur me on and I am glad I didn't turn back. After just a few sideways steps thankfully things opened up wider and I was soon so swept up by our intriguing surroundings that I forgot to be claustrophobic any longer. I was glad I rented rubber boots, because at this time of year there is water flowing along the floor of the cave. I think my favourite highlight of the whole tour was the three six foot climbs up a waterfall! The next two caves were even more impressive with strange shaped crystal formations everywhere we looked. I would definitely recommend this to any family. My son absolutely loved every minute of it and from the sounds of it he is hooked on caves. I think I might be as well!

Visited January 2017
1 Thank Grace C
Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good People - Poor Equipment”
Reviewed 23 November 2016

Clothing - I have caved in many areas of Europe and this is the first place that asks you to wear your own clothing without providing a protective over suite.

There are very few people in the world who have good water proof material that they don't mind getting torn or shred on the rocks in the caves. To enjoy the experience you have to crawl about and you will damage your clothes.

I managed to rip a couple of holes in my climbing jacket and my water proof trousers.

On speaking with the a few people it is the owners who are somewhat reluctant to pay for these suites.

The staff there and our guide were outstanding and there is no blame with them.

It might be obvious to some to wear crappy clothing but if you want to be warm and dry then you wear the clothes you know will work and to see it wrecked does annoy you a little.

Do this tour as it is outstanding but if you know a mechanic borrow there coveralls.

Visited October 2016
1 Thank pjcuthill
Cave_Park_Director, Owner at Horne Lake Caves Provincial Park, responded to this review, 29 November 2016
Thank you for taking a moment to submit a review.

We are happy to hear that you chose to visit Horne Lake Caves, and particularly happy to hear that your interest in caves has you seeking them out around the world -- that's cool :-)

There have been many discussions about coveralls for clients during our 28 years of operation. However, being a remote/off-grid location makes the logistics of the endeavor very challenging. Our power source is a gasoline generator, with an additional small trickle of solar power input. The power only runs during open hours, not through the night.

We do not have the resources (power system, space, or staff) to create laundering facilities within the provincial park, or to be able to dry client coveralls overnight. We have considered various ways to create a system to drive the dirty coveralls to town for laundering. However, to do such we would need to increase the tour rates to cover the increased costs to maintain the coveralls. Although some clients may be alright with a price increase for this - as a provincial park we strive to maintain tour rates that are affordable for the majority of our visitors.

Additionally, during our peak seasons we can have more than 100 tour guests through the park in a day. That is a very large fleet of various sizes of coveralls to try to maintain, even if we did not have the added logistical challenges of being remote and off-grid.

Sorry to hear that your clothing garnered some 'adventure scars' during your experience here, that is not a typical outcome. When we describe some of the 'challenge by choice' opportunities on the tours, we also mention that care should be taken to not snag your clothing. Of course an 'oops' can happen, unfortunately it sounds like that may have happened with your gear.

Thank you for the kind words regarding how you enjoyed the tour, your guide and our staff!! We are proud of our team and services. It is fantastic when customers share their experience, in turn getting many others excited to come explore their inner selves and our inner planet.

Thank you, we hope you have many more caving adventures ahead :-)