“WOW!!!! ...and I don't mean that in a good way...”
Review of The Irving West

The Irving West
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gander
The Irving West
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Gander
Kamloops
“WOW!!!! ...and I don't mean that in a good way...”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

There was an Elks convention in Gander the night we needed a room. We were told the only place to get a room would be the Irving West...gee, I wonder why!?!?!?!
I have no complaints about the staff. They were always friendly. I would say they are probably understaffed though. We requested some towels around 5pm. We were told the person that looks after that would be starting their shift at 8pm. I also question if our room was vacuumed prior to our arrival as there were coffee beans scattered around our floor.
The hotel is desperate for some renovations. The hallway carpet's smell harkens back to the days when everyone smoked indoors. The room had wallpaper peeling and holes in the walls were visible. Tile grout and caulking was missing in the bathroom which was leading to missing tiles and visible water damage and mould.
The pool outside was green with algae and we wouldn't let the kids swim in it. I understand that most of Canada has had a wet spring but shouldn't there be someone paid to keep the facilities up to par?? This was indicative of much of the hotel.
This hotel is a fairly large building with long hallways and multiple flights of stairs to get to the second floor. On two separate occasions I helped elderly couples up the stairs with their luggage as there is no elevator.
On the evening we stayed there was a couple across the hallway that was allowed to have a larger dog with them. Whenever the adults left the room, the dog would bark incessantly. In fact, on one occasion there was an adult on the balcony having a cigarette while he let the dog continue to bark in the room. Farther down the hall there was a room full of partiers who felt it was necessary to keep their door open into the wee hours. Good times!
Finally, if you're looking for internet access, join the rest of the people with laptops huddled around the front lobby or the continental breakfast area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank BoldAsLove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Gander, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Did not enjoy my stay there...Did not sleep well as it was very noisy and dirty. The bar Legends connected to it is the place to go out in this town but dont expect too much of it!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank elly03
St. John's
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Firstly, I have no problem with an owner of a hotel making a good profit, especially if they have regular visitors, and have a good location. I do have a problem though when that same owner refuses to make some basic upgrades to make the stay of those same visitors comfortable. This hotel probably hasn't been upgraded since 1983, hence the title of this review. Structurally, there's not a lot you could do, but that doesn't excuse the addition of some new carpet, modern comfortable beds, updating the bathroom, new curtains, paint etc etc. There's cracked ceilings, peeling wallpaper, holes in walls, I could go on, but I think you get the picture - the place is falling apart.

I do quite a bit of travel for business, but I've never stayed in a hotel without an air conditioning unit, basics like a hairdryer, and it's been quite a few years since I've stayed anywhere without internet connectivity in the room.

My rate included a breakfast. Unfortunately all this included was a muffin, coffe/tea or juice and toast. No dry cereal, no fruit. I ended up eating elsewhere later in the day.

Next time I have to visit Gander I'll be staying in one of a number of excellent B&B's just outside of town. Sure they may cost more, but with great views over lakes, friendly customer service, and some clean modern rooms, I'd be more than happy. Irving West - never again!

• Stayed August 2010
4 Thank kodiaknfld
pittsburgh
Reviewed 16 July 2008

the hotel itself is a good little hotel to stay in... the rooms are clean and comfortable ..although it is supposed to have air conditioning..u really can't feel it... the balcony itself and with gander wind..its pretty comfortable...the pool in the back is perfect for a dip when it does get hot and its open till about 8pm... the free continental breakfast..is perfect for breakfast with toast, juice, coffee, muffins and tea... there is a bar right inside of the motel that does serves some good food... and you can eat it right there if you choose too and have a cold one ....the only bad thing about this hotel..NO INTERNET ACCESS ..so if you plan on doing some work its not going to be possible... there is a library about a 10 minute walk from hotel which is nice and there is public access and there is a small patch of stores around...which allows you to pick up anything you need... there is also a subway right behind the hotel and a tim hortons for your coffee and donut needs...

the staff itself is beyond excellent..they will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable... and they are very very pleasant...

the rates here are great too..if you book it yourself... the longer you stay the cheaper it is.. .. i even compared it to the other hotels around and i actually saved over 40 per night... great rates, free eats, swimming ...what more can you ask for..may the internet but if you're not concerned about that ..then this is a place fit for a frugal queen or king...

• Liked — the price and the staff
  • Disliked — no internet access..couldn t get any work done... :(
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank prtilatinlady
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 September 2003

I always stayed with the chain motels but decided to try this place when I was over for business. It was alot better than the other motel and was cheaper too. I have stayed here every time since. If you want a large room with more ammenities then this is your spot!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 August 2003

We Stayed at the Irving West Hotel, in Gander it was beautifaul there was lots of room in the rooms, and the staff were very freindly. You also get a continental breakfast which was also very good.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member