“Ramen soup!!!”

Ranked #5 of 114 Restaurants in Rimouski
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Discover Korea's Delicious Secret
Reviewed 16 December 2017

Very very bad experience for the lunch time, i took a chicken soup, was just a lot of ramen noddles, a few veggies, enough to fill a soup and the chicken was pieces of pork. The line of fat was visible on every piece of meat... i said that to the waiter, she just look at me and said, was chiciken! Now is the problem, even if i was dress like a worker, im also a chef in my other time, i know how to make the difference even the taste and the look was pork, and finally a good price, $17 for that bowl...not enough i had to eat more after to get out, ....
Well, most of the good comments cames from local peoples, should travale more..
Anyway i also had good experience in that restaurant but was something else, not a soup!!!!

Reviewed 3 September 2017

Finally they break the record of my worst experience of Korean dish, worse than that I had somewhere in Jakarta.
My Korean friends they don't go eating at Korean restaurants because they can cook the same things much cheaper of course and even at better taste. Korean cuisine is rather simple, in terms of the ingredients. And precisely for its simplicity, one comes to appreciate the sincerity and the heart of the chef who prepares the food; its something spiritual almost you can say. And for that sort of matter, I found Parfum de Coree to be very very disappointing.

My wife had the bibimbap. Beside the vegetables, it offered TWO morceau of bulgogi at size no bigger than my thumb nail. NO KIDDING! The Gochujang (chili source) for the rice, WATERY. Thaz really first time because I always thought it is thick, same thoughts for all my Korean friends I can cross checked so far.
For the cost of 19CAD which is easily 30% more than that in Montreal, I don't understand how they justify that since the most exotic rare to find ingredient would be the Korean soya source to marinate the beef.

I had the Sundubu (Spicy Tofu soup) très épicé, but it came served TROP SALÉ! And I had to add water diluting the serve saltiness. The chef, I suspected simply adding two huge scoops of SPICY Deon-jang, a soya bean base, for the spiciness. And that was a SLOBBY and LAZY job close to an insult!!
And they served without raw egg. the soup I had everywhere else HAS RAW EGG provided! Is it expensive for eggs in Rimouski? And they charged for 18CAD, another easily 30% more expensive.

My two kids had kid meals Teriyaki beef and chicken (BTW that is Japanese, so much for the authentic Korean food the waitress ensured us of themselves.)
The meat was okay, but the vegetable, I don't understand why they mixed the oil fired bean spouts with other raw veges, is that something of the local flavor? But that tasted weird if not terrible. I helped finishing their dish, one bite and I surrendered. I apologised to the kids for forcing them swallowing that stuff.

The worst, after paying the bill feeling much throat-slit, we four were still hungry and had to go across the road to Tim Hortons for donuts.

At entrance, they put up the TripAdvisor sign for their excellence in 2015, that's to me very ironic. May be it has to do with the small population in Rimouski, and the ignorance to what Korean food should taste, or even may be to put blame on the physical distance afar from sufficient supplies, but that shouldn't account for the excuse. And it forces me to wonder how trustworthy and reliable the rating system is.

Kim M, Owner at Parfum de Coree, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

I apologize that you didn’t appreciate the food at our restaurant. However, I must disagree with quite a few things you have mentioned.

First of all, Korean cuisine is not simple. In fact, many vegetables (such as kimchi and kakdooki kimchi) have to be fermented as well as pre-prepared. The meat (whether beef,chicken or pork) must also be marinated, not to mention the side dishes, which also require preparation and change every day.

The Bibimbap is mostly a vegetarian dish; 7 different kinds of vegetables were blanched for about 5 seconds and seasoned with sesame oil and garlic, and each vegetable has to be seasoned differently. And surely the garlic we used is not garlic powder: our cooks grate it with real garlic. The Bibimbap sauce you ate is indeed usually thick, which from my understanding is the consistency you prefer. However, many Koreans do not like it when the sauce is too thick; the meal being very hot, it would make the Bibimbap too dry.

Furthermore, let me provide explanation for your opinion of our Sundubu, which you characterized as “slobby” and a “lazy job”. Some Korean restaurants make their Sundubu with meat, seasoning with salt and chili powder, while other Koreans use a Deonjang (fermented soja) base. Our restaurant has chosen to use the recipe with Deonjang, for it is more tasty and good for your health. As for serving an egg in the Sundubu, it is not an original practice either. Many people dislike this way of preparing the meal because the soup would be “cloudy”.

The name of “Teriyaki” refers to a type of sauce, while also meaning "sauté". The name “Teriyaki” indeed originates from Japan, and of course we would call the technique by its original name to provide an easy understanding for the client. On another note, the bean sprouts were not fried with oil but cooked by steam along with the rest of the vegetables. Oil was not needed because at 500˚ on the hot plate, only water is needed to cook the vegetables.

Furthermore, there are many suppliers of Korean food in Montreal for the restaurants over there, but we have to go to Montreal every month to supply all of our Korean ingredients, which is 12 hours for round-trip. That is why our prices are more expensive than other Korean restaurants in Montreal. I believe that the distance we travel between Montreal/Toronto to Rimouski must be taken into consideration when pricing our dishes.

You evidently have a right to your personal opinion, but I disagree about the way you seemed to judge our Rimouski clients and their taste. Although Rimouski is fairly small, we have more than 100 restaurants in the city, and its residents have a wide choice of restaurants. Perhaps your experience in Korean cuisine is limited to Montreal and you compare us with other Korean restaurants in Montreal. Of course, that is different from experience the real, tasty food from Korea. From what you have written, my understanding is that you’re saying you know of all the Korean dishes, and therefore are judging ours. But I must disagree with you. Not to mention, I must say I do not condone qualifying our cooks as “slobby” and “lazy”, for I believe you shouldn’t be so quick to insult people who work very hard.

Thank you for letting me explain and for taking the time to read my thoughts regarding my disagreements with your opinion.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

After returning from a weeklong trip to the Gaspé region, we decided to swing by Rimouski and to be honest, we had no idea that we would find a Korean place in this city. We parked next to a large boutique type of grocery square and then I saw the sign.

Being that my entire family is Korean and we live in NYC, I was somewhat skeptical of how good Korean cuisine would be in a small city in the upper Gaspé region but we were pleasantly surprised.

We ordered three types of soups and my wife ordered the bibimbap. I ordered Korean style noodle soup (kalguksu), my daughter had the dumpling soup, my son had the ramen type of dish.

In all, the dishes tasted great, especially considering how far it is from a major metropolitan city such as Montreal. We had a chat with the owner and she mentioned that she had to travel once a month to Montreal in order to get supplies and having driven there....boy it is very far from Rimouski.

Someone mentioned that the portions here were small or that the main dishes are overpriced but one must consider the distances in order to get supplies.

Sure you can get bigger portions even cheaper in large cities like NYC but...in Rimouski? The taste for the dishes was very nice and we left the restaurant satisfied and recharged for the trip back to NYC.

Kim M, Owner at Parfum de Coree, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you for your comment. I remember your visit at Parfum de Coree. I hope you and your family arrived safely back home. It was my pleasure serving you and your family.

I hope to see you again.

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

Since this issue overshadowed my entire experience I will address the service and then the food.

The waitress purposely overcharged us. My husband ordered a soup, an entree and a main meal (pork dish). I only ordered a main dish. We did not order from the table d'hote menu. When she asked if we wanted dessert or coffee/tea we said no and asked for the bill. She brought the bill and explained that she charged my husband the table d'hote price since he had a soup and entree it was cheaper. I had already checked the prices prior to ordering and told her that his meal plus soup and entree was $27 whereas the price she was charging was $33 and therefore not cheaper. She then changed her story and said it was "in case" we wanted dessert but we had clearly not ordered dessert. So she said it was my choice if I wanted her to change the bill??? Now why would I want to pay $6+taxes extra? Of course I want her to change the bill! I am a Montrealer and speak perfect french and this entire conversation was held in french therefore I promise nothing was lost in translation. I am a diligent person who verifies prices so I am concerned of the frequency this happens to others who do not check the prices therefore BE CAREFUL!!

As for the food it was good but not as good as the Korean restaurants in Montreal. The prices were also higher and portions smaller.

Kim M, Owner at Parfum de Coree, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

I'm sorry for your inconvenience in our restaurant. I remember your stay last Sunday evening because I asked to the waitress about your problem and she explained me what was wrong. I scolded my waitress that she didn't explain you about Table d'Hote in more details. I apologize that my waitress has made a mistake.
As you said, our Korean dishes are more expensive than Montreal. The reason is that all ingredients have to be delivered from Montreal or Toronto because there is no Korean wholesaler near here in Bas-St-Laurent. We have to pay delivery charges and we have to go to Montreal more than 1 time per month for buying fresh korean ingredients. Of course every dish has to be homemade even a sauce.

I apologize again for your inconvenience.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

This restaurant owned by Korean lady is a must if you like asian food. Very fresh product are used and very tasty as comfort food. The menu is very diversified and you will enjoy deserts.