“One of the most spectacular places I know of”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quesnel
Bowron Lake Lodge and Resorts
Quesnel
“One of the most spectacular places I know of”
Reviewed 28 August 2009

The untouched beauty of the Bowron area and the Bowron Lake Lodge has welcomed my family and I for the past 35 years. I remember growing up here and enjoying the wonders of nature and meeting great people from all over the world. Everyone comes here searching for similar things...quiet serenity, a place to get away, great hosts like the McKitrick family, incredible scenery, wildlife, great beachfront camping and cabins and an all around great vacation. The Bowron Lake circuit is another big draw to the area and a fabulous trip for all canoeist and kayakers. I would recommend this area to everyone and when you're there, take it all in and then leave it behind for others and their children to enjoy for many years to come. Great job to all in the Bowron area, and a special thanks to Jim McKitrick and his family for years of friendly service and making us always feel welcome.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank cybill65

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2009

The lodge was very accomodating to the needs of our group, even offering to put a pot of coffee on for us in the morning. The Bear Mercantile is a great place for an early morning breakfast before you head out on the circuit. The rooms were clean and reasonable. The canoes we rented were is great shape. The guy that brought out our group's canoes was very helpful and friendly (even took out group photos). Overall it was a pleasant experience with no surprises. Thanks to the staff at Bowron Lake Lodge!

• Stayed August 2009
3 Thank travelbugs4Canada
abbotsford
Reviewed 20 August 2009

this resort is a big dissappointment very run down , the management is un friendly,
we did not stay at it , the looks were enough, we stay at bear river , sandy and dick are down home good folks clean cabin excellent service and wonderful people to be around.
bear river to us is a 5 star plus

2 Thank chewyswife

Travellers are raving about these Quesnel hotels

quesnel, bc
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Recently we just made a trip out to Bowron Lake Lodge with a group of seven; however only after we had been informed that the managers Skye and her husband were no longer allowed back on the property (thank goodness). We have been camping out at the lodge for several years now and enjoy the hospitality of the Mckitricks; however we had made a trip out to fish prior to our recent one and encounter new managment whp immediatly made us feel unwelcome. The woman (Skye) had approached our vehicle where I was reading with out two dogs in the back of the car with my boyfriend and his brother fishing in the mouth of the river. I seen her and her husband pull up so I began unrolling my window, which was clear I was doing, but she still thought it necassary to pound on my window and say we needed to leave because we didnt pay our picnic fee. Paying wasnt an issue until she started heading down to where the boys were fishing and began to yell and swear at them telling them to get the f^#k out of the water. She continued to yell and swear as the boys continued to put away there fishing gear in the trunk. At one point she grabbed my boyfriends $3500 fly rod and tried to shove it into the trunk and telling him to hurry up and get off of her property. The boys stated that they were leaving and to not touch there stuff; I unriolled the window to tell her that if she just let them pack up we would be gone; she responded by walking up to the car to yell in my face by calling me a name. We gladly left only to be relieved of her; however were upset that our favourite summer camping location was no longer enjoyable. We were very pleased to hear that the Mckitricks were back with awesome managment and had fired the woman who made the lodge a place to dread. On our recent trip, not having prppane in our cabin wasnt an issue, thats why its camping, so just pack your own camp stove. As for the service it was AWESOME. We travelled out with friends who had never been to Bowron and before our stay was over they were already planning their next trip before the end of the summer. For all of you that were treated badly by the former managment please dont let it stop you from heading back out. The Mckitricks and Carrie Chard are working hard to undo the damage that was done by these terrible people, so please head back out and enjoy the great hospitality of the Bowron Lake Lodge!!!
**If you have heard the rumour that the lodge is closed, thats all it is is a rumour, so please head back out to enjoy the hospitality and fun that the Mckitrick family offer:)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank dubucm
British Columbia
Reviewed 31 July 2009

On my recent trip to the Bowron lakes, I was made aware of the neglect of the McKitrick family of not only their lodge but also of the environment. When we arrived the propane on the entire site was shut down by the BC Safety Authority based on major violations in the gas grid and venting of Propane gases into the cabins, a potential death hazard. Also it was discussed around the camp about how sewer lines under all the lakefront cabins were disconnected by Jim McKitrick, allowing sewage to drain into Bowron lake, and to add, an illegal dump on their land and diesel oil and fuel is seeping into Antler creek ( a Salmon breeding ground). The managers, Andrew & Skye have been working hard to provide great customer service in the midst of an environmental hazard. I appreciate that they have quelled the rampant, reckless use of quads within the park, and had diligently picked up the garbage and the park was immaculately kept. I am sure these other contributors may be of those people that had no regard for the camper that appreciates the view, quiet and pleasures of the outdoors. ( keep your quads to the bush)
Shame on the McKitrick family for destroying the reputation of what is one of the most prestigious and beautiful areas in the world.

2 Thank victoryvision
seattle
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I traveled the circuit with 13 people, 9 scouts, and 4 adults. Another adult did most of the online/phone arrangements with the managers, Andrew and Skye.
when we arrived, yes the place looked a bit desolate, but the effort to improve the facilities was evident. Past years have not treated the place well, nor had the vacationers.
we needed a reasonable place to stay with the basic camping amenities, and that is easily what we received. This facility is a campground setting.(If you are looking for the Four Seasons, stay in Vancouver.)
If you want friendly managers, clean and quiet surroundings, then Bowron Lake Lodge is the place.
I am a bit baffled by the litany of poor comments re the staff. We were greeted/treated very politely, and were extended all common courtesy you would expect from them.
I understand the staff this year inherited some rather tough situations on their arrival to open the camp, and that some past users were a difficult group to control in certain situations. Using a "heavy hand" to start the season might have been warranted, but during our stay the management had definitely softened up towards the clientel.
I say, the place is a great campsite, very nice management, and worth the price of admission and more.

• Stayed July 2009
4 Thank richSeattle
Cariboo Country, BC
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I am very displeased in the way I was treated by the new managers during my recent stay at the Bowron Lake Lodge and Campground. From the time we arrived we were made to feel like delinquents as the rules were, in no uncertain terms, drilled into us. I realize the managers are new to the area and the campground and that they have new rules, however, there is a right way and wrong way to explain them. Rather than accuse us of some wrong doing because we have ATV's or may produce garbage during our stay (garbage cans and recycling bins are not provided in the campground), they might have explained the new rules in a friendly, less rude manner. Perhaps use the word "unfortunately" and "I understand you're used to..." to make your customers feel that they are still welcome even though the rules have changed. I have heard several complaints of the same nature in the past 3 weeks and remember, when people are unhappy they tell an average of 10 other people. I will certainly tell my share. This is very unfortunate since the beach camping is a wonderful place to spend the weekend but not worth the stress we had to endure.