New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Not Very Good, But limited Choices in Town” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canad Inns Portage la Prairie

Canad Inns Portage la Prairie
Ottawa
“Not Very Good, But limited Choices in Town”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed here on business. Had to change rooms as the first smelled like cigaretes and air tons of air freshener. The second room had a bathtub that wouldn't drain, even after being "fixed" by the hotel. The carpets throughout are filthy and smell. Check in and check out are slow and painful processes compared to just about any other hotel. Staff at desk are not helpful or knowledgeable about the area. Basically, it was a poor hotel but you may not find much better elsewhere in this town.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wynyard
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Nice clean hotel-kids had a lot of fun in the pool!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank megell
Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

We wer just recently travelling to Nepawa for a hockey tournament but had to stay in Portage la Prarie due to the roads were closed from a blizzard. All hotels were booked in Portage but the lovely staff at the Canad Inns allowed us to stay in their lobby as well as about 100 people who were also left without a bed for free! They gave out blankets, pillows, free coffee. The evening staff stayed well into the night and early morning. Parents of young children were given a cot for their kids. A hockey team was given a banquet room and their bags another room. Never saw the rooms but went into the restaurant and lounge. Viewed the pool and waterslide area which seemed awesome. I hope to go back someday to stay in a hotel room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ManitobaNic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

Stayed at the Canad Inn in Portage while in town on business. Really nothing flashy about this hotel, but I had a decent stay. The location is excellent, right as you enter Portage from the east, close to restaurants and shopping.

-Check in was smooth, no problems. Front desk staff were friendly. Other staff members I saw on my stay were all pleasent.

-The rooms are pretty dated, although clean. My room had a fridge and microwave, which was nice. The bathroom, like the rest of the room, was clean but the shower pressure was very weak. My bed was average, but the plush pillows were a plus. The TV was small and old. Noise was a bit of an issue as I heard people in the hallway throughout the night.

-I did not eat at the restaurant, so I cannot comment on it's quality.

As noted above, nothing amazing about this hotel, but it was okay for what I needed it for. I would consider this hotel again if I was traveling to Portage.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Habscouple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

Me and my family stayed at this hotel for 1 night, it was alright.

The rooms were a little small and somewhat clean, the lobby was very nice as there was a dental center a gym and a gift shop

there was a pool with a fairly big waterslide and the resturant was very good. Out of ten I would give this hotel a 4

• Stayed September 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Twolves18
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights (Friday and Saturday) for my father-in-law's retirement party, as well as dozens of other people from out of town. The party was being held here on the Friday night.

We were in room 253, a King & Sofa suite. The room is long and rectangular. When you walk in, there is a good sized living room with a sofa bed, a desk, table and chairs. There is a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The bathroom consists of only the shower/tub and the toilet. The sink and mirror are directly outside the bathroom in the
hallway. The bedroom is at the end. The bed was huge and comfortable. There is a large counter in the bedroom, as well as a chair and TV. The hotel has free wireless internet access in the rooms, and a computer and printer in the lobby.

One major thing I did not like about the room was the lighting. It was horrible. There were no windows anywhere, and the lights were oddly placed and not bright. There was a huge lamp on one of the coffee tables, and I had to get my husband to bring it over to the bathroom counter so I could do my makeup and so he could shave. The lighting in
the bathroom was also terrible. I could hardly see what I was doing whenI was trying to shave my legs. In fact, most of the hotel besides the lobby was quite dark and dim, almost gloomy. The only good thing about the lack of windows was that the bedroom was pitch dark at night time.

We woke up on Saturday morning and went down to the restaurant for breakfast. When we went back to our room, our keys didn't work. My husband went to the front desk to ask them to reactivate it. They didn't even ask him for ID or his name, and reactivated the card. I would think this might not be the safest thing to do. Anyone could theoretically get
access to someone's room this way. They should absolutely be asking for your name when reactivating your room key.

There is a restaurant, Aalto's, and two bars in the hotel. We had breakfast at the restaurant both days we were there (not included). The buffet was not great. The pancakes seemed old and kind of stiff. Ordering off the menu was a much better choice; the food tasted much better. The hash browns were great.

The hotel also has a pool with waterslides, which would probably be great with kids, but we did not use them at all.

The location is fine as Portage isn't very big. It's at the "end" of town, but that's only about 5 minutes from the beginning of town.

The hotel isn't that great, but isn't horrible, either. It could be much better if they just put in a little more effort.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MissWanderlustCA

Travellers are raving about these Portage la Prairie hotels

brandon,mb
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

Overall the hotel appearence in pleasent. The main lobby was what I would expect walking into a Canad Inns hotel. Food was good. My children loved the shallow pool and pool area with a waterslide. But... We checked into our room late in the evening ready to settlle down for the evening. We got our keys from the front desk lady whom was courteous. We drove around the hotel to our entrance way. When we tried the key in the keylock for the endtrance it didn't work. So I left my family at our entrance and ran around to the main entrance and addressed the front desk person only to get the reply "it does that sometimes." I was o.k. with this being the only problem. So we went to the room, which was the "Executive suite" which included a fireplace and jacuzzi tub. At first the clenlyness factor was non existant. There were stains on the ceiling, throw-up in the icebucket, at when turned on the jacuzzi shot out hairballs. When we addressed the front desk person they became defensive and sent us a new icebucket. Unfortunately there were no other rooms. To top it off they only reserved us for one night although we asked for two nights when we called in the reservation only a couple of hours previous, before making the trip in the first place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business