“Never Again!!!”

Super 8 Portage La Prairie MB
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We booked for 3 nights from December 11 - 14, 2011 and stayed in room 116. This was supposed to be a nice relaxing time for a little getaway. When we arrived, the front desk lady was very nice and helpful. We went to put fruit in the fridge and found lunch meat from a previous guest. There were hairs on the toilet that did not belong to us. We called the front desk and shortly after, the head of the housekeeping was down and solved the problem. She was very nice. When we had a bath, the water was just lukewarm and we had to hold the handle of the faucet of the bathtub down in order to get hot water. It was evident that the floor had not been vacumed very well as there were items from previous guests still there. On the third day, we wanted our bed sheets changed so we put out the card for changing the sheets on the bed as directed. We were gone all day and upon our return to our room, to our surprise, the bed was not even made, the bath towels were not changed and there was no kleenex or shampoo replaced. The only evident thing done was that the garbage had been emptied. We contacted the front desk and the young lady working, offered us fresh towels, shampoo and kleenex, but did not seem concerned about the bed. When I went to get the items, I brought the card with me to show her what the instructions were for changing linen. As she was chewing her gum, she more or less indicated that perhaps the cleaning staff did not understand. My husband then called the front desk and asked for the name and to speak to the general manager and was refused by the young lady who answered the phone. He was given to someone from housekeeping. instead. The housekeeping staff asked what she was supposed to to about our problem. My husband told her to forget it. Very poor customer service. By the way, the whole time we were here, the hotel was not busy at all. We were a former guests of the Day's Inn in Portage la Prairie but decided to give this place a chance. What a mistake that was. Never, ever will we stay here again. The Day's Inn or Canad Inn will get our business instead. For the price of this hotel, it was not worth it and we were both very disappointed. The internet was so slow....kind of like the days of dial-up. Oh, yes, the continental breakfast includes orange or apple juice, but only water comes out. The staff is well aware of this problem and nothng has been done. What a rip off this place was. Never again and I will tell everyone I know not to stay here. It would have been nice to speak to the general manager, but guess there is none. Harald and Susan.

Room Tip: I suggest you stay at the Day's Inn or the Canad Inn, but not at the Super 8. People really need...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan_the_travel_bug
Meghan S, General Manager at Super 8 Portage La Prairie MB, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear Susan_the_travel_bug;

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete this review. I sincerely apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

All feedback, be it good or bad, is very important to us. I would like to apologize for the state of your room upon arrival - it was cleaned by a housekeeper in training before you arrived. Since your stay, this housekeeper has been re-trained and is now fully passing all of her room audits. I am pleased that your contact with Shirley, our head housekeeper, was memorable, and I have let her know that. Also, let me say thank you for mentioning the front desk attendant who was very nice and helpful when you first checked in. I have let her know that as well, and she is touched that you mentioned her.

Because of your comment, and a couple of others, we recently went through all of our guest rooms and turned the hot water up for the bathtubs. Now we assure you that every bathtub will produce sufficiently hot water for a nice relaxing bath after a long day. It also works for our showers, which have an adjustable shower head to suit every individual's taste.

On the third day of your stay, I am sorry that you had to come down to the front desk to receive your amenities. Those are to be replaced in every room, and the housekeeper that cleaned your room is very sorry. However, when your husband phoned and asked to talk to the manager, the front desk attendant said, "Yes, one moment," and gave the phone to me. I asked, "What can I do for you?", but when he talked to me, he was very difficult to hear and understand. I'm very sorry and disappointed that we had this miscommunication, as I have no problem making beds, cleaning toilets, or anything like that to keep all of my guests happy.

Our internet connection will be upgraded in March, however right now it is a business high-speed version. I understand that if someone else in the hotel is using a lot of broadband, it may be difficult for other guests to connect/use the internet.

Since your visit our juice machine has had a motor changed inside of it. This has rectified the situation you had with only water being dispensed.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit to Portage la Prairie.

If I can provide any further assistance, please call me directly at 204-857-8883.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

Stopped here on our Cross Canada drive. The rooms were clean and to the point. The free breakfast is always a nice touch. The beds were comfortable.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maureen H

Dear Elizabeth444;

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to complete this review. Feedback is the most important part of any business, and we take our's seriously.

All of our beds on the main floor are Serta pillow top beds, and they make for a very comfortable and relaxing sleep! I'm very glad that you enjoyed them!

I hope the rest of your cross canada drive was enjoyable, and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 15 August 2011

I would go with that one. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a lot to choose from in Portage. We chose this hotel because the reviews say it's new...but, the decor seemed quite dated. Apart from that, the room and hallway smelled like wet dog. Yuck! We're not that fussy about coffee, but it was disgusting. The breakfast was also a huge disappointment and the breakfast room was really not that clean. Front desk staff really just did the bare minimum. Had a much better experience at a Days Inn in another city the next night -- Super 8 could take a few lessons from them!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Super8PLP, General Manager at Super 8 Portage La Prairie MB, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Dear CanadaGalOnTheGo,

I am deeply sorry that your stay wasn't up to the expectation.

Room Decor:
Our decors are country-style (i.e. oak), which may strike some as 'dated'. However, they are standard decoration for hotels throughout the prairies with Super 8, Ramada and Days Inn built in 2000's. We have updated all our mattress to Simmons Beautyrest Pocket Coil Mattress (medium softness), which is found in more higher priced brands. Our linens are 84/16, and we constantly order new linens throughout the year. While guests may have different taste in decor, we make sure that basic needs are met and we do our best to keep our standards high when it comes to guest comfort & towels/linens.

Room & Hallway:
We use commercial grade extractors & vac. machines (Electrolux brand) to clean our rooms and hallways regularly. We also have commercial timed automatic deodorizer dispensers at key travel points to remove odors. Our hotel is equipped with Lennox HVAC/Ventilation system, serviced twice a year, and it circulates air and effectively removes odors in hallways.

We are deeply surprised that our hotel smelled like a 'wet-dog'. Rest assured, we'll look into this to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Coffee:
At Super 8 Portage la Prairie, we use Columbian 100% whole bean, roasted by Citavco, which used by many chained restaurants, in our breakfast room. We have the commercial coffee bean grinder at the breakfast room. We use Nabob & Stonebranch coffee for our rooms. Our coffee is far superior to that of Maxwell and/or Folgers. Again, if our 100% Columbian whole bean was not up to your expectation, I am deeply regretful for your experience. I am wondering if you have tasted our decaf instead of our Columbian coffee? We are proud to say that we have numerous guests who load their travel mugs with our Columbian whole bean coffee every morning.

And if the coffee is not hot, we grind the beans and brew a fresh coffee for our guests right away.

Breakfast room:
Due to limited service nature of the 58 room hotel, we cannot provide a full line of breakfast. We provide 'continental breakfast' with breads, jams/cheese, cereals/milk, coffee/tea, muffins, fruits and juices. Our breads and muffins are all baked from a local bakery; and we order from them twice a week. I apologize for your inconvenience should our standard not meet your expectations. We are planning to add more selections this fall; and guests arriving to Super 8 this fall would be able to enjoy new breakfast items.

We regularly clean our breakfast room, we have the breakfast room operation license from the Province of Manitoba, and we are inspected by the health authority regularly just like any other restaurant. We may be busy at times, however, our standard is definitely not below average.

We try to keep our facility clean with best available tools and equipments. Again we reiterate the fact that we purchase new linens, new mattresses, new equipments and new supplies regularly; and we keep our hotel at good condition throughout the year by having regular maintenance.

Again, we apologize for your inconvenience and we hope we have addressed your concerns. Should there have been any other grievance during your stay, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

Best regards,

Management
Super 8 Portage la Prairie

Reviewed 28 July 2011

The Super 8 in Portage is good, I would stay there again.. The staff was nice and efficient, the room was clean. The only problem we had were the children running up and down the hall on the 2nd floor, late into the evening. This is the not the staff's fault but the parents who have no control over their children.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear genwen;

Thanks for providing your feedback on your stay at the Super 8 in Portage. All feedback is very valuable to us, as we utilize it to better ourselves for future guests.

We can be very full during tournament weekends, but do our best to keep everyone quiet past 11:00 p.m. In future stays with us, let us know if you have any noise problems, as we will rectify the situation as quick as possible.

Once again, thank you so much for completing this review. It means the world to us!

Reviewed 12 July 2011

This was a great hotel room. We stayed with our little dog and were delighted to not only have her welcomed but to be able to stay in a smoke-free room (the whole hotel is smoke-free). The pool and waterslide looked like great fun, though we didn't use them, and the continental breakfast was very good. The hotel was very reasonably priced, clean and quiet. The charge per pet is $10/night. The room didn't smell like dog. We couldn't hear anything from other rooms. Close to restaurants, grocery stores and the mall. Fridge and microwave in the room. I'd stay here again any time I was in Portage.

Room Tip: Book in advance, especially if you have a pet.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear mmg26;

Thank you so much for your review! We understand that most people are very busy, and love it when a guest takes the time to write about us, good or bad.

Our hotel is 100% smoke free. To accomodate those who do smoke, we have a patio area out back (fully equipped with chairs and a barbeque in warm seasons) where we welcome smokers.

We are also pet-friendly! Up to three pets in a room, and we only charge $10 a pet per night. This ensures that we can do extra cleaning after the pets are gone, and keeps our hotel smelling fresh and clean, like you said.

Our pool and waterslide are very fun, and we plan to renovate the area in a couple months. It will be looking fresh for the next time you come to stay with us.

Being located on the edge of Portage la Prairie means we are in a nice, quiet area. We are only a 2-minute drive from shopping, grocery stores, beer vendors, and restaurants. Everything you need is located in our quiet little end of town.

Again, thank you for completing this review, and I hope that the next time you are in our area you come and stay with us again!

Reviewed 11 October 2010

Stayed here on our return trip to Winnipeg before our flight home. As I stayed here about 8 years ago, just after it opened, I knew what I was getting. For some strange reason Winnipeg hotels are very pricey for what you get. This hotel provides you with a cheaper option before you arrive in Winnipeg. Rooms we clean and spacious as this hotel is still relatively new. Easy access and plenty of parking. The only complaint is there is no elevator and with three bags it is awkward on the second floor. It would be worse if we were older or infirm. Continental breakfast is available and adequate to start you on your day.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mustangguy
Reviewed 2 September 2010

The downstairs suite smelled smoky; others might not notice, but my asthma flared up from it. I think this may have been a result of the room being right on the end of the facility beside the smoking patio area. Very nice large suite. We booked online, 2 rooms, and there was a kerfluffle when we arrived, as my handicapped mother had a chihuahua along. The website says pet friendly, but doesn't ask if you need a pet room. My mother and I ended up trading rooms, and this poor disabled woman had to drag herself up a flight of stairs so she could have her pet with her in her room. Staff was nice enough, but beware of the website booking. Be sure to make a note if you are bringing a pet, especially if you cannot do stairs well. there is no elevator.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family