“Very reasonable for $80/night...”

Super 8 Portage La Prairie MB
Reviewed 29 May 2012

...room was pretty big, bed was 1/2 decent...wireless a little slow but not bad.
Pool for kids and a hottub (was not working when I was here).
Brekkie is standard.
2 negatives CRT TV...seriously no one has these in their homes anymore so why should we be expected to watch them in a room we are paying for?
Second you can hear the trains at night.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Meghan S, General Manager at Super 8 Portage La Prairie MB, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear Margesmister;

Thank you for taking time out of your day to review our property. All feedback from our guests is used to constantly improve ourselves.

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend upgrading your room to a business room, for only $5 more, to take advantage of a 42" flat screen TV. This room also includes a microwave, coffee maker, mini fridge, iron and ironing board, and a sofa and coffee table for your comfort. Or, if you really want to feel at home, we also have suites available that have all of the above plus a seperate room for your queen size bed, a much larger living area, and a food preparation counter with a sink.

We are situated on the outside city limits of Portage la Prairie, so the only things you will hear at night time are the trains. Other than that we are in a very quiet part of the town.

Once again, thank you for your comments and your review; we look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel was wonderful, the saltwaterpool was wonderfuland the whole family had a terrific time, thank you for everything. although we have no reason to be back this was I'm sure we'll go out of our way to come back and stay. We've been traveling 20 days so far and this has been the best so far.
Thanks

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2012

After staying at the Super 8 in Morris Manitoba, I can tell you this spot is a lovely switch. Clean rooms and friendly staff at a great price. As there were birds in the ceiling of the last spot, this was a perfect spot for the night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sahayoga
Meghan S, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Portage La Prairie MB, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Hi Sahayoga !

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Portage la Prairie MB Super 8. Hope we see you again soon

Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed here with a hockey team (older boys, all stayed on first floor) on a very busy weekend for Portage la Prairie. The woman at the front desk was quite accommodating to us as many of us were checking in a little early and some of the rooms were not quite ready. The motel seemed to be quite full. The rooms are the standard compact Super 8 rooms. Nothing special, but not bad. The room heater (one of those "do-it-yourself" heaters along the wall under the window) was very hard to find a happy medium for room temperature - we were very hot or very cold. Breakfast was also the standard continental breakfast you find in many motels. No waffle maker or anything hot to eat (aside from oatmeal). The only complaint I have of this motel are the very thin walls and floors. Until very late into the night, I could hear small children running around in the hallway and rooms above my room. After quite a while, I took a sleeping pill to get to sleep over the noise. I was awoken quite early in the morning by more noise. As I lay there, I could hear someone in another room (not sure if beside or above) SNORING! Yes, it was snoring, and it was loud and clear. If you're a light sleeper, this may not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Try a room on the second floor if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank freezing1
Meghan S, General Manager at Super 8 Portage La Prairie MB, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear freezing1;

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a TripAdvisor review. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making every guest's experience the best it can be.

I have had guests tell me that the rooms on the second floor are much quieter. We do our best to enforce a strict 11:00 p.m. quiet time, especially during busy weekends. When you come and visit us again, feel free to phone the front desk and let us know about running/noises in the hallways, and we will rectify the situation immediately. It is very important to us that every guest gets a good nights sleep.

Again, thank you for completing this review. We hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed 4 January 2012

We have stayed here a few time before and have never been dissappointed! The rooms are clean and comfortable and the service is great too. Our young kids had a blast in the pool and breakfest in the morning is just enough to get you started on our early morning drive! 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank MaMaV33

Dear MaMaV33;

Thank you very much for your kind review! We keep our room standards at "Super Clean" and make sure to train accordingly.

Our continental breakfast now includes: three kinds of breads, 5 types of muffins, cereal, apples, oranges, bananas, oatmeal, coffee, tea, juice, milk and hot chocolate. Thank you for your two thumbs up!

We hope to serve you in the future!

Reviewed 13 December 2011

We booked for 3 nights from December 11 - 14, 2011 and stayed in room 116. This was supposed to be a nice relaxing time for a little getaway. When we arrived, the front desk lady was very nice and helpful. We went to put fruit in the fridge and found lunch meat from a previous guest. There were hairs on the toilet that did not belong to us. We called the front desk and shortly after, the head of the housekeeping was down and solved the problem. She was very nice. When we had a bath, the water was just lukewarm and we had to hold the handle of the faucet of the bathtub down in order to get hot water. It was evident that the floor had not been vacumed very well as there were items from previous guests still there. On the third day, we wanted our bed sheets changed so we put out the card for changing the sheets on the bed as directed. We were gone all day and upon our return to our room, to our surprise, the bed was not even made, the bath towels were not changed and there was no kleenex or shampoo replaced. The only evident thing done was that the garbage had been emptied. We contacted the front desk and the young lady working, offered us fresh towels, shampoo and kleenex, but did not seem concerned about the bed. When I went to get the items, I brought the card with me to show her what the instructions were for changing linen. As she was chewing her gum, she more or less indicated that perhaps the cleaning staff did not understand. My husband then called the front desk and asked for the name and to speak to the general manager and was refused by the young lady who answered the phone. He was given to someone from housekeeping. instead. The housekeeping staff asked what she was supposed to to about our problem. My husband told her to forget it. Very poor customer service. By the way, the whole time we were here, the hotel was not busy at all. We were a former guests of the Day's Inn in Portage la Prairie but decided to give this place a chance. What a mistake that was. Never, ever will we stay here again. The Day's Inn or Canad Inn will get our business instead. For the price of this hotel, it was not worth it and we were both very disappointed. The internet was so slow....kind of like the days of dial-up. Oh, yes, the continental breakfast includes orange or apple juice, but only water comes out. The staff is well aware of this problem and nothng has been done. What a rip off this place was. Never again and I will tell everyone I know not to stay here. It would have been nice to speak to the general manager, but guess there is none. Harald and Susan.

Room Tip: I suggest you stay at the Day's Inn or the Canad Inn, but not at the Super 8. People really need...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan_the_travel_bug

Dear Susan_the_travel_bug;

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete this review. I sincerely apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

All feedback, be it good or bad, is very important to us. I would like to apologize for the state of your room upon arrival - it was cleaned by a housekeeper in training before you arrived. Since your stay, this housekeeper has been re-trained and is now fully passing all of her room audits. I am pleased that your contact with Shirley, our head housekeeper, was memorable, and I have let her know that. Also, let me say thank you for mentioning the front desk attendant who was very nice and helpful when you first checked in. I have let her know that as well, and she is touched that you mentioned her.

Because of your comment, and a couple of others, we recently went through all of our guest rooms and turned the hot water up for the bathtubs. Now we assure you that every bathtub will produce sufficiently hot water for a nice relaxing bath after a long day. It also works for our showers, which have an adjustable shower head to suit every individual's taste.

On the third day of your stay, I am sorry that you had to come down to the front desk to receive your amenities. Those are to be replaced in every room, and the housekeeper that cleaned your room is very sorry. However, when your husband phoned and asked to talk to the manager, the front desk attendant said, "Yes, one moment," and gave the phone to me. I asked, "What can I do for you?", but when he talked to me, he was very difficult to hear and understand. I'm very sorry and disappointed that we had this miscommunication, as I have no problem making beds, cleaning toilets, or anything like that to keep all of my guests happy.

Our internet connection will be upgraded in March, however right now it is a business high-speed version. I understand that if someone else in the hotel is using a lot of broadband, it may be difficult for other guests to connect/use the internet.

Since your visit our juice machine has had a motor changed inside of it. This has rectified the situation you had with only water being dispensed.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit to Portage la Prairie.

If I can provide any further assistance, please call me directly at 204-857-8883.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

Stopped here on our Cross Canada drive. The rooms were clean and to the point. The free breakfast is always a nice touch. The beds were comfortable.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maureen H

Dear Elizabeth444;

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to complete this review. Feedback is the most important part of any business, and we take our's seriously.

All of our beds on the main floor are Serta pillow top beds, and they make for a very comfortable and relaxing sleep! I'm very glad that you enjoyed them!

I hope the rest of your cross canada drive was enjoyable, and we hope to see you again in the future!