All reviews underground parking platinum member the river holiday inn nice hotel coffee maker high floor exercise room stayed one night flat screen tv convenient location close to downtown parliament hill minute drive beds were comfortable executive floor kitchenette
Reviewed July 24, 2016 via mobile

Rooms were clean and spacious. The beds were also clean and comfortable. WiFi was good. I loved the decor of the hotel and lobby. Parking was not included and the height of the underground garage was almost too low for our SUV. Located in beautiful part of Hull close to parks and other ammenities.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2016

This is a well-located, quiet hotel with very nice rooms....actually quite large and well appointed. I spoke French a lot there but if I did not speak the language I would have gotten along fine.

Good room darkening drapes and curtains assure you a good night's sleep. I was a little reluctant to try their restaurant because I did not see many people eating there, but ended up with a decent dinner and breakfast. The food was definitely made to order, nicely garnished and healthy. The chef seems attentive to details.

The public areas are attractive....waterfalls in lobby with lots of orchids. But it was the pool that won me over. A very pleasant young woman lifeguard is attentive and the pool, itself, is great. Quite big for an indoor pool. There is also a sauna and whirlpool, as well as a fitness center.

I would say that if you are looking for a moderately priced yet very comfortable place to stay, close to many of the museums, especially the History Museum and War Museum, this is a great choice. I took cabs everywhere and cab prices ranged from $7 to $10 going to places in the city.

I love Ottawa....it is such a beautiful city, Crowne Plaza filled the bill for me. Everything worked in the room, but when the TV remote needed a new battery, the charming handyman was there in a jiffy, and it was quickly replaced. All of the staff was responsive.

They have a freezer full of snacks including some offbeat Haagen Dazs ice cream bars.

Room tip: Request what you want
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2016

I had never stayed here before and was just staying for one night while visiting family in Ottawa. I had read several reviews before but got a great rate so why not. First let me say that I have spent a lifetime in customer service so I know of what i speak. i arrived and proceeded to check in counter. They can see you coming so to speak and there was 3 people at the front desk waiting to greet me. But greet me they did not do, they simply looked around and down and waited to see whom I would choose to check in with. I had been driving for over 4 hours and mentioned that to the clerk and tried to engage in light conversation but was pretty much given the " who cares: response. He was adequate but nothing more. Ironically when you proceed to the elevator, and enter it , you are greeted by a huge framed picture of "owner?, perhaps manager?" that states "exceptional service is our goal and contact me personally if you don't receive it " has anyone told the staff here that it hangs for all guests to see? Rooms, so they had some upgrades, nice, beds comfortable, sleep was uninterrupted. Carpet needed to be stretched as it was wrinkled beyond what is acceptable in my books. The potential to be memorable was definitely there. Good customer service is what brings people back and wants them to stay and they fell very short on that in my opinion.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank schnoobs
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2016

Dear schnoobs,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we appreciate getting feedback from your recent stay. I agree with you that customer service is the most important part of our industry and on behalf of our employees, I do apologize. Your comments are very important as we strive to achieve complete guest satisfaction. They will be shared with the supervisor to reinforce the importance of customer service. Thank you for your business and comments.

Regards,

Reviewed July 10, 2016

We stayed from July 1 - 6. We wanted a location that was close for the Canada Day fireworks. We also wanted a convenient location for our stay in the Ottawa-Gatineau area.

Reviews has us a bit nervous. However, when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. We booked (2) Executive King rooms. They found 2 adjoining rooms for us. Staff also managed to accommodate our request for a higher floor and a view of the Ottawa River.

Rooms were larger than we expected. Very clean. They had a more modern feel than I was lead to believe by previous reviews. Bathroom was clean and large as well. Layout of the room was excellent with the kitchenette as you enter the room. This also blocked any hall noise. Sleep was restful and the bed was super comfy.

Parking was convenient but a bit pricey. The opportunities for improvement are few. I would recommend they keep bar staff on later during special occasions like Canada Day. The Wifi was free and for the most part good. You do have to login daily or pay for improved service.

Although you are not in downtown Ottawa we found this location perfect for our mini vacation. Once we got into downtown Ottawa we come to realize that traffic and parking was a nightmare. Being just across the river allowed us to enter Ottawa from a number of bridge locations and avoid the traffic.

We visited a number of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and they were very good and reasonably priced. There is also a number of other shops including a liquor store within walking distance.

Room tip: Ask for a River View Room
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2016 via mobile

Good spot for business traveling, easy to get into Ottawa and on the highway. Room was a little dated but very spacious and generally well kept.

Not a lot of breakfast places around, which is important when needing to get on the road early.

Parking was also a little tricky, it is shared with government employees and is all underground. As a female travelling alone having to go through the garage all the time was not always practical.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
Nathalie T, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Gatineau-Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2016

Dear Mercedes H,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is delightful to know that our location suited your needs. I am sorry to read that you felft uncomfortable with parking. We appreciate your feedback and your business and hope we get the chance to host you again soon. Regards