“Came here for a craft show” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ottawa City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #2 of 43 things to do in Gatineau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Formerly the Canadian Museum of Civilization At Canada's most visited museum, discover the events, experiences, people and objects that have shaped the nation's history. Take in the beauty of this architectural gem and its spectacular setting on the banks of the Ottawa River. Marvel at the world's largest indoor collection of totem poles, explore the traditions and achievements of Canada's First Peoples and this summer, step aboard the Empress of Ireland and relive the experience of the worst maritime disaster in Canada's history - with its stories of tragic loss, courage and human kindness - through artifacts and eyewitness accounts. Be a kid again at the Children's Museum and live the ultimate cinema experience at the IMAX(R) Theatre.
Ottawa, Canada
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Came here for a craft show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

Beautiful venue for a craft show. The exhibitors were interspersed with some exhibits in the great hall, making a unique experience, and a small "free" visit.

The bad part of going here is the parking - limited spots, poor layout and bad visibility. Doubt they can do much about this, but would be great to see it improved.

Visited December 2016
Stephanie F, Manager at Canadian Museum of History, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your comments about your experience during our Christmas market. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the Christmas Market, it was a very successful event. On very busy days, our parking garage does fill up quickly. There are other parking options in the streets near the Museum and private parking areas in the neibourhood. We have noted your comments regarding the layout and visibility.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again real soon!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Ontario, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You have GOT to take the kids here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2016

This is a must see when visiting the Ottawa area. I never get tired of this place. It's great for adults and great for kids. The most mind blowing sight is when you first enter the Museum and pay for your tickets. Standing at the top of the escalator (there are elevators available), you will see totem poles, lots and lots of totem poles. The first floor is dedication to the First Peoples and they have done a wonderful job of bringing this culture through time. Visually spellbinding! There is also a Children's Museum on the upper level. When the children first enter the children's museum, they receive a 'passport'. As they 'visit' each 'country/culture', they get a stamp on their 'passport'. Here they can sit on a 'camel', sit in an archeologists tent, ride a bus in India, so much to see and do. Great gift shop and refreshment area as well! Take your time, spend the day. (Might be advised to take bottled water with you as the juice and water is very expensive in the food court.)

Dear strawberryguider,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Museum of History. I agree that the view from the lobby looking into the Grand Hall is spectacular. It is actually one of the favorite areas of many of the Museum staff.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Regards
Ottawa, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Excellent Entertainment and Education But Watch Out For Overcharging At Cine+”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2016

This place is great fun for adults and children. I have a different perspective as I have moved to the area and purchased an annual membership. When just going to the museum, it is great. I paid $135 for a family plus pass and it is worth it as I go often now. There is a big problem with communication between the Cine+ offers though as I was over charged by over $10 for the two adult tickets combo package. This resulted in me not enjoying the shows that much because I paid for the tickets knowing something wasn't quite right. I had read all the information online so I was taken aback by the $10 overcharge. We went to the shows which I have to say, the 3D quality is not that good and the poor visual quality through the glasses that have a disturbing glare that take away from of the beauty of the film. The documentary content was great, the facility was okay, not so great visually but excellent sound system.
After the movies, I went back to the box office to inquire about the overcharge. $10 is too much and it needed to be addressed. I was given a line about how the website had the wrong information on the pricing for members and there was no discount on the combo package for members. When I pointed out that that meant they charged members more money for the combo package than non members they said they would get back to me.
A week later, I received a phone message saying they changed the website and would give me complimentary tickets for the confusion.
There is actually more to the story but what I really want to say is watch out when going to the Cine+ movies especially if you are a member. If you show your a member, you actually get charged more on the combo than non members and the discount doesn't apply. Also, they say museum members enjoy VIP seating in the Cine+ theatre but the box office didn't know anything about that when I inquired.

I just wanted to take my husband out on a nice date and it turned into a long drawn out ordeal. If it was just a buck or two I might have let it go but it was a ten dollar overcharge on the price of tickets and I think that needs to be addressed for members.

So, in summary, I think the museum is an awesome place to hang out, look around and be entertained alone or with family. It is a beautiful setting and the displays are pleasing. I haven't done any research on information provided so I can't attest to the true educational quality but it's a nice place to go.

The Cine+ is not something I will ever pay for again. I am supposed to be receiving two complimentary tickets for the overcharge when what I really wanted was the over charge refunded to me. I would rather watch those documentaries on my own big screen tv at home or go to a regular 3D movie theatre.

Visited November 2016
Stephanie F, Manager at Canadian Museum of History, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Museum Member,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience at the Canadian Museum of History and CINÉ+. Please know that observations and comments such as yours are always appreciated, and they have been shared with the relevant departments, promptly after your visit in late November.

Certain admission combos and discounts cannot be combined with other promotions. Our website did not mention this clearly, which has now been corrected. We understand that this situation was resolved to your satisfaction by our Membership team and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Further, we are sorry to hear that the state of our 3D glasses was not optimal on your recent visit to CINÉ+. 3D glasses can get “foggy” during the wash and usually, a quick wipe with a special cloth is fine for reuse. If not, then it can simply mean that the lens is worn out. As we are environmentally conscious and reuse our 3D glasses, normal wear and tear is common in the washing process. We do our best to remove worn out and broken glasses from distribution but it can happen that some will still make their way into visitors hands. An usher on stand-by can quickly replace a visitors faulty 3D pair of glasses.

We thank you again for your comments and hope that you continue to take full advantage of your Membership privileges year-round to discover our new exhibitions, programs and join in the many celebrations surrounding the Canada’s 150th anniversary.

Regards,
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sureme”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2016

My tour guide was experienced and knowledgeable on most fields of the museum. There was "so-so" history on the aboriginal people. I have a witness, who said that most of what our tour guide was saying on the totem poles was false. but i didn't call him out on it.

Visited January 2016
1 Thank Raymond K
Belleville, Canada
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Fantastic Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

This is a wonderful museum with many permanent displays and special collections. We saw the Indigenous Collections, Napoleon & Paris Special Collection, then a brief stop at the Postage Stamp Collection. We will need to go back again on our next trip to Ottawa/Gatineau, to see other collections. Recommend that you plan what you want to see before visiting. The size of the exhibits make it impossible to cover in one day.

Dear Gregg A,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. It is always great to hear that visitors enjoyed the Museum. On July 1, 2017, we will be opening the new Canadian History Hall. Occupying more than 40,000 square feet, this signature gallery will trace Canada’s history from the dawn of human habitation to the present day.

The largest and most ambitious exhibition project ever undertaken by the Canadian Museum of History, the Canadian History Hall is our gift to the people of Canada as we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation. We hope that will be a good reason for you to return to our beautiful region and the Museum!

Regards,