“Best Brunch Ever!”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2018

Running a high end B&B for 13 years I've cooked a LOT of breakfasts and am therefore reluctant to go out for breakfast but the folks at Coqlicorne really know what they are doing. Small, unassuming and intimate without feeling jammed in, the atmosphere is low key. The service was excellent with just the right amount of attentiveness. I had the 'Scotland Yard' a scotch egg which came with roasted squash and potato, blueberry coulis and wonderful artisan toast. My husband had the 'Jean Dallaire', perfectly poached eggs, thick meaty bacon, generous sausage and the same full flavoured toast. Next visit
to Ottawa we will come for dinner for sure.

1  Thank closdescedres

Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

In the area on business and discovered Bistro CoqLicorne on a Sunday night. Unpretentious and small, about 32 seats and eight at the bar, it looks like an unpretentious neighbourhood pub. But the food was excellent.
The first evening I had their riff on onion soup....flavourful, croutons and baked cheddar with fried onions on top; great for a cold evening. Followed with the large plate of short ribs....about the best I have ever had.
So good that I returned a second time having two small plates, Arabic I with a pesto cream sauce....very nice, the day’s soup puréed squash and peppers excellent and the duck dumplings served with Brussels sprouts and a carrot purée Presented on a slate.
The wine list is small, several Portuguese, but reasonably priced and adequate. Service from the one waitress who also looked after the bar was friendly and most efficient. This boite certainly “punches above its weight.”

Isabel T, Propriétaire at Bistro CoqLicorne, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2018

Thank you for visiting us and for the kind words, hope to see you soon!

Thanks

Isabel
Co-owner

Reviewed November 26, 2017 via mobile

Right in the Hull part of Gatineau (the oldest part of the city). It’s open early on Sundays (unlike most other restaurants in the area) and it serves amazing local food in very local setting. I would highly recommend this place if you wanna get a taste of Gatineau :)

Reviewed October 27, 2017

What a delicious meal this week at the Bistro CoqLicorne. We had so many great things: the black IPA beer, the Portuguese white wine, the tuna tartare appetizer, the vegetarian burger (crispy tofu was so delicious) and fries with mayo. It was Tuesday so we had to have one of the poutines of the week. The one we chose came topped with steak and a steak knife (!). AMAZING.

Annie was our server and she was so delightful: genuinely friendly and fluent in French and English. We hung out for hours with no pressure to move on. She came by at just the right pace to see if we needed anything and to keep our water glasses full

This place is so good, it was the second night in a row that one of our party had visited. Other reviewers are correct, it is very unassuming from the outside. It's the west side of rue Laval about a block north of the Portage Phase IV building where the area is decorated with colourful flags for "vieux Hull". Parking is free on the street after 5:00 p.m.

1  Thank KiwiFan17
Reviewed September 13, 2017

Bistro CoqLicorne was well recommended by multiple online review sites. What they did not tell us was that it was unassuming. You could easily walk right by this restaurant without noticing.

The menus are now available in both French (preferred) and English (not scorned). We both ordered the 3 Amigos taco plate, so I can't say that we broadly sampled their menu. The tacos were very good. The Bulgarian wine that I ordered, not so much. We ate outdoors. It was quite pleasant. Our waitress was both attentive and forgiving of our non-mastery of the French language.

If I lived In Gatineau, this restaurant would be on my 'go-to' list. I want to try more.