“The Best Brunch in Town”
Review of La Casa - CLOSED

La Casa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 November 2014

this place serves the best Brunch selection for quite an affordable price. The standard Queebc breakfast fare potatoes, saussages, bacon, beans etc. There are fresh salads salads, with a choice of dressings, smoked salmon, freshly cut fruit, and strawberries with a chocolate sauce, breads, mild cheese, you can have an individual omelette done with stuffing you choose, the same with crêpes which they also do flambée! It takes a few trips to the buffet, but worth it. There is a beautiful terrace outdoors, a comfortable dining room, and another large dining area behind the buffet. A great spot for meeting friends on a Sunday. They also have an all you can eat pasta bar on Saturday evenings - great for families.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

What's better than getting up on a weekend morning and taking the family or your guests to an affordable meal suitable for all ages and tastes?

What's more you sit comfortably, coffee refills come constantly with a smile, and after you samples from the regular breakfast fare that is cereal, or eggs, sausages, beans, potatoes, meats etc...or placing an order for an omelet done for you on the spot, there is still another section with salads, smoked salmon, breads, croissants with or without chocolate, breads for toasting, fresh fruit and chocolate sauce....and to top it all - you can go back for a pancake with fruit "Flambé!" And then wash it all down with some more coffee or tea. And the price is right too!

And if you are a pasta lover - on Saturday evenings, Casa offers a family-friendly “all you can eat” pasta buffet too.

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Nice decor, not too busy so one can carry on a conversation and appreciate the live musician. Really nice guitarist/singer during supper on Fri and Sat. Excellent guitarist with a really good voice and style - very pleasant (reminds me of Norah Jones). Very talented!

Menu: we decided against Table d'hote since we were not hungry enough for that much food. The regular menu is quite disappointing and un-inspired. Pizzas are regular cheese, tomato, peperoni, nothing creative. Selection of pastas and veal (that's the only type of meat on the regular menu)
My husband chose Manicotti. - not very good, he was quite disappinted.
I chose linguini puntanesca - pasta nicely al dente, was good but not fantastic.
For wine by the glass, all they had was the house wine from a box, we had the red and the white - not very good wine, but I suppose we have had worse; at least it was only $5.50 a glass (not on the menu so we had to wait for our bill to see how much it was). They really should add a second wine by the glass selection with a better wine.
(Our main pasta dishes were $18 each or so.)
Seems they concentrate on the Table d'Hote food only maybe?
As the other reviewer said below: watch out for the table d'Hote prices. It's not one price for your meal - there are extras. Odd way to price it. Be sure you understand before you order.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

A group of friends met here one evening - we discovered that "bring your own wine" no longer applies here. The wood-fired pizza oven in the main room was also gone. No table d'hôte menu was displayed on the street. We picked up the à la carte menu and realized we were in a high-end establishment, and the wine list was also very pricey. Some discussion ensued as to whether we would walk out - thankfully the waitress brought out a chalkboard with the table d'hôte menu for the evening, and we decided to stay. Some of the group chose the green salad, which was very beautifully presented, others, the caesar, again to good reviews, but I chose the minestrone soup as starter - first rate. The main dishes arrived - several chose the linguine al pesto with shrimp - good reviews here. One asked for a spaghetti alla carbonara (not found on the menu) and the chef obliged - very good. My daughter chose the pizza from the à la carte menu - thumbs up. The chicken breast with strawberries and cream sauce also got good marks. My main dish looked promising - grilled pork brochette with a slightly spicy tomato sauce, served with a portion of vegetables and a little linguine al pesto - but I found the meat to be tasty but tough. The table d'hôte included a choice of three desserts, and while the majority chose the excellent crème brulée, I opted for the chocolate cake, served on a plate decorated with custard and raspberry coulis in a sunburst pattern - top marks here.
By the way, the waitress did bring a list of house wines by the glass, or half or full litre, and our friends chose a litre of the red - an adequate, light, (very light) red.
We felt the establishment had overcome our initial doubts - then a few of the party encountered the waitress (who up to that point had served us very well) at the cash register when paying their bill, and she explained some details of her income tax situation re: tips, - this is too much information. Just let us tip, or not tip, and no discussion please. I did leave a tip, by the way.
Yes there is an excellent chef here - a few wrinkles to iron out, and improve the overall impression.

1  Thank Cary25
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a newish restaurant in St. Sauveur a little further west along rue Principal so that during summer it likely does not experience the crush of tourists found closer to the main center of the village near the church. It fills a niche among the >60 restaurants in Saint-Sauveur and surroundings in focusing on italian food. I was drawn by the menu posted outside in nice itallic font featuring some of the great classics. I was disappointed by the table d'hote that did not have this focus (and a rather strange layout of individually priced entres, mains and desserts which is not my understanding of a table d'hote or "menu del giorno"). So I ordered a classic dish and I was not disappointed: the veal from Quebec was very very scrumptious- and the pasta nicely al dente (although my accompanying sauce perhaps a tad oily). Even if my dish was not totally classic in the way it was prepared and presented - I was happy happy with my meal. My partner was even happier than I was with his veal dish. If you long for veal I recommend La Casa! the restaurant is quite spacious and we were able to carry on a conversation which can be hard in the more intimate places in St. Sauveur especially this time of the year when large groups book for Xmas dinners. This restaurant has a seperate alcove area for larger groups so this will not be a problem here anyway. Good service and good value- nothing exciting on the wine listings but we will definitely return.