“mixed review”

Blueberry Lake Resort
Picton, Canada
“mixed review”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Between 21 people we had two chalets; they're gorgeous. We stayed for the weekend, some went skiing at a nearby run while others stayed on the resort. The winter activities were great but with there being so many of us, it was difficult to all take part in the same sports.

There were never enough cross county skies, snowshoes or skates. The receptionist was getting easily annoyed with our group and lost her patience as we traded in snowshoes for cross country skies. I understand, we are a large group, other groups are there as well signing things out, maybe it could be overwhelming??? But all she has to do is write down what cabin took what. I can organize groups of 200 without losing patience - this is my biggest complaint, the receptionist.

I was cooking with one of the baking dishes, in smashed in the oven and I was charged for it. It's a baking dish, should not have broke and I feel I should not have been charged for it.

I emailed the resort asking about the gym and never received an email back. Heads up: their gym is three cardio machines put into a closet size room and there is one lat pulldown machine...no other weights.

Besides this, everything was great. I like that they had laundry soup with the washer and dryer so we were able to wash our towels. I found the beds to be very comfortable. Again, the chalets are gorgeous. If you bring pets, it's an extra $100

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jenna s

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
toronto
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This resort was beautiful. It was located about a half hour drive from Tremblant ski resort and was hidden away in a secluded and beautiful countryside. The cottages here are amazing. Theyre pretty much brand new, the beds are so comfy, they come with pool tables, beautiful kitchen, hot tub and a washroom per floor! Well worth the price, will return.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank tonedeff500
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2012

After staying at blueberry lake below is a copy of the email I sent to the management in July 2011 - to which I was never given a response...

Attn General Manager,

This year for our annual trip we came across the Blueberry Lake Resort and decided that it would be a fabulous vacation destination for our families. The eight of us stayed in chalet #** and it was absolutely beautiful. The chalet was well equipped, had lots of space and was immaculately kept. Check-in was smooth and quick. We were very pleased with our vacation choice for the price we paid; however, as time passed a few different challenges arose.. We were surprised and disappointed by the lack of green space and the lack of access/view of the lake. Based on the website and information online we falsely believed that we would be able to enjoy the scenery of the lake from the chalet or been able to sit while the children played outside on our private lot.

The indoor pool was good and was the perfect size for two families, however, we were sad that the hours were so limited. Also there was broken tile and unfinished tile in the pool area.

On the second morning of our trip we were disappointed to find out that we did not have the complimentary golf cart that we had requested and that was listed on our reservation. It would have made the visit much easier as we had mobility issues with 2 two-year olds, a four-year and a five-year old. The limited green space and lack of direct lake access required us to move out of the chalet for each activity and they were distant.

The lake was beautiful, although smaller than expected and we were disappointed that with so many rental units that there was only one canoe and that the row boat was in a less-than desirable condition. We were fortunate to be able to have used the canoe after a wait and some confusion.

On our last evening we opted to enjoy the whirlpool tubs, only to discover that the tub jets were not working in either tub. The cabin owner might also like to know that there is a stain on the couch in the basement, a broken chair on the balcony and one on their dock, and a burn hole in their outdoor table. We did mention this to your staff but just wanted to ensure that you received the message.

It seems that although the resort was lovely and enjoyable whenever we opted to utilize the extra amenities or listed perks we came across challenges. Each challenge in itself was small and we were able to work around them but by the end of our stay it had all added up to a larger frustration by us all.

Thank-you for listening to our concerns.
A response would be much appreciated.

Sincerely

*********

Overview - Cabin is good, but there is issues with quality and care - for example broken chairs, non-working soaker tubs. No green space outside of the cabin. Although it was a lakeview cabin, no actual view of the lake. The extra services they list are not actually offered or are VERY limited (ie one canoe for all the people on the resort to use, pool hours very restricted, etc). Lake is very small. Overall though I was disappointed with the managements lack of response to our concerns.

I would have returned again at the price we paid (199/night ish) as it was a decent vacation but after the lack of response from management I would not return now.

Room Tip: Every cabin is privately owned, not owned by blueberry lake - and not all cabins offer a golf cart...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Christina M
GeneralManagerBLR, General Manager at Blueberry Lake Resort, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Christina

Thank you for your comments and please accept our apologies that nobody contacted you. Your comments and feedback are very important to us and we will be contacting you personally to discuss these issues in more depth.

I am pleased you liked the indoor pool, we do find that it is ideal for children since your visit, the reparation of the tiles in the pool have been completed and the opening hours of the indoor pool are 9-9 or 9-5 depending on the period of the year. Blueberry Lake is a small non-motorised lake due to its size we have a limited number of boating equipment with approximately 15 vessels including canoe, kayaks, pedalos and a row boat which are available free of charge.

Our lakeside chalets our situated around the lake and have no other properties in between, however there may be some foliage of which we trim slightly but try and cut as little as possible to keep the natural feel of the resort.

I am pleased that overall you thought the resort was lovely and I will be in contact ,once again my apologies for the lack of response, I have sent you a private message regarding contact details

Kind regards

Warren Spurr
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This has to be about our fifth time in as many years and it's always nice to be back. The resort's layout is great for relaxation and privacy, as well as taking advantage of the landscape. The discreet care during our stay of supplying us at our chalet without any disruption to our tranquility shows a self-effacing quality you rarely get outside Japan, for example. The chalets are impeccably clean, well stocked on the essentials and environmentally conscious. The amenities like the jacuzzi or sauna are just little extras that make your days of skiing that much nicer to get back to the chalet afterwards. You are deep in the woods where your ear drums get a break from active city life and your sleep is greatly enhanced also by the overall feeling of security tucked in these gorgeous luxury supersized log cabins. The facade's cathedral windows give you a great feeling of the outside with all the comforts of being inside, sitting by the fireplace. We've always enjoyed it. We snowshoe on down days from the slopes or skate, and there's also cross-country skiing. The lake and surroundings are a beautiful setting. It's an all around great place to hibernate. We can't wait to book it one time to see the autumn leaves.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I just want to say what an amazing time we had at Blueberry Lake! Our whole family (12 of us) Shared a chalet this past week celebrating my Mom's 60th Birthday! The chalet was stunning. We skated on the rink, snowshoed, cross country ski'd, tobogganed, went to Tremblant ski resort (only a half hour away) and thoroughly enjoyed the stunning scenery of this gorgeous resort! I highly recommend this place for your next vacation. So many memories were made that will be cherished forever!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I've been to blueberry lake a few times.
I love the chalets' look and feel, and the great thing about this place is that they constantly strive to offer more.
The first time I've been was with my family so we rented a 5 bedroom chalet. It was great with all the ammenities available. We managed to spend a whole weekend without much need to really leave the cottage. I think the only time I stepped out was to jump in the hot tub. Point of advice, if you go in the winter - try the hottub and jump in the snow only to go back to the hot tub. Quite the rush!
My wife and I really enjoyed it so we decided to go back alone, but the five bedroom was too much. We managed to get a 3 bedroom at a better price for us to make for a quaint getaway. We stayed at the chalet 159 des pionniers which is their only 3 bedroom chalet with a hot tub.
We loved it there - fireplace set the whole time (excdpt when we hit the hot tub) and was quiet and away from any other cottage. It's also great that this chalet has the hot tub directly on the deck so not to walk far. We plan on going back but will try to spend more than just a weekend there.
You can also go to the main reception as they have a pool and hammam there.
Blueberry is great and again I recommend it to anybody looking to get away from the city life.
Anyone who has complained about it before have had some experience but I'd say it's the exception, definitely not the rule.
Feel free to write to me if you have any questions.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank diesel550
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We spent 3 days at Blueberry Lake Resort in early January. We shared a 5 bedroom house with our two young children and friends of ours who have three young children. The unit was large, clean and impeccably appointed with all that we needed for our stay. The size and layout allowed everyone to have their own space without feeling like we were on top of one another. We all loved spending time in the evenings unwinding in the unit's large hot tub. Although we had planned to do activities in the area, we found that the resort had everything we needed to entertain the kids - sleds, snow shoes, skis, trails, a skating rink, an indoor pool and play area and even a pool table in the unit. We have rented other chalet's near Tremblant and this is by far the best. We'll certainly be going back.

• Stayed January 2012