“Valentine's Weekend Snowmobile Retreat”

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Minett
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We went on points so can't complain about the price. With my husband's Elite status, they upgraded us to a one bedroom suite without even asking. The suite was beautiful and very spacious. I was pleasantly surprised about the well equipped kitchenette and even a dinette since I did no research on this hotel before we went (my husband booked it). So other than bringing a few snacks and fruit for my son, we didn't bring much else for ourselves which I regretted. It was too out of the way to bother going to pick up any food or drinks to prepare in our room.

We figured we'd just eat at the two restaurants and those were huge disappointments. Our first lunch at Cottages was extremely mediocre. We each ordered a sandwich for $19 each. Mine came with a dumpling soup (got one dumpling in a bowl that contained probably 3 tablespoons worth of soup). I can appreciate that the waitress warned us that she was in training but she completely screwed up both of our orders. I was starving so I was not happy to have to send my meal back. We tried Cottages again for dinner and it was moderately better but still serving size was very small.

The 2nd night we went to Teca and though the atmosphere was very pleasant with the open kitchen, the meal was very poor quality for the price. I had the gnocchi which they claim is a popular choice. I had about 8 pieces of gooey gnocchi in an extremely creamy sauce. Couldn't taste any truffles in the gnocchi. My husband said his hanger steak was ok but we've definitely had better for the price.

I actually do not mind spending a lot of money on restaurants if the food was actually worth it but Marriott restaurants in general have not been to my liking.

We had hoped to go snowmobiling but the trails were closed by the hotel. The first day we went on the cross country/dog sledding trails for an hour or so but were worried that we were annoying the dogs. We picked this hotel because we had hoped to go snowmobiling as a family for an hour or so, then my son and I go back to the hotel and my husband can go off on his own at his own speed. It didn't work out that way and it was too much of a hassle to load and unload the two snowmobiles multiple times in a day so we only went once to Bass Lake where there were better trails.

I gave this a 4 star rating because it truly is a beautiful hotel and the rooms are excellent. We are still hoping to go back in the summer with our boat since we have several friends who have cottages in the Muskokas. But this time we will be better prepared about the meals and just not eat at the hotel. It really is a shame that the restaurants are so poor. And we will do a little more research about the boating.

1  Thank phumigator
Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We went to The Rosseau in February for a weekend getaway. I was expecting the resort to be empty, but to my surprise it was quite busy. Stayed in a King Studio, which was quite large for two, but might be a little small if you were using the the pullout couch. The bathroom was spacious, all granite tile. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help. We brought our own ice skates, but you can rent them for $13. We rented cross-country skis and tried the onsite trail, but it was only 2.6 km around the hotel property. The staff at the recreation desk recommended an offsite trail that we could try (20 minute drive) and it was beautiful - winding trails through Muskoka forest and over lakes. Later we noticed that the recreation flyer we got a check-in said they had 40kms of trails on site - you may want to inquire about this if you are going to ski. We did not eat at the hotel restaurants as they were too expensive for our tastes. The kitchenette in the room was well equipped with cooktop, microwave, fridge/freezer and all the cookware that you could need. Overall, we were very impressed.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the lake for awesome views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2012

First off, this isn't a "couples resort" so people complaining that there are kids here are at the wrong type of resort. There are many couples resorts in the area so go there if you are looking for NO KIDS!!! We went midweek in the winter, and there were still kids there. They have a kids menu, highchairs in both restaurants,toddler playroom, kids books in library, dedicated kids area in the summer, etc, so they are expecting kids at this hotel.

Our room was great and had an amazing view of the lake, and good sized kitchenette, bar sized fridge with tons of cooking supplies, utensils, etc.

Restaurants were good but pricey. Like many before have said, around $50 for breakfast and deep fried potatos.

We received a gift certificate to this hotel from people who paid full price for our package (not a groupon) and for what they paid, we were VERY disappointed with the service. My husband got attitude from the bellboy when he took the cart upstairs to bring our luggage down (yet they never offered to come and help), the maid didn't come until after 2:30 pm at which time our 1 year old daughter was napping, and they wouldn't let us borrow a high chair for half an hour to feed our daughter lunch in our room. Really not accomodating at all for what this hotel costs to stay at. They also say they offer cribs but when I phoned to make reservation, they asked me if I was going to bring a playpen so not sure what that's about either.

They also have lots of activities you can do but it was than the Caribbean with the pricetag the "excursions" are.

We had valet parking included in our gift certficate but parking seemed really far away for people who didn't have valet, especially in the winter.

Spa was great but over-priced. Would recommend splurging on the facial - well worth it, but skip the pedicure - was too rushed and $98 is ridiculous!!

Pool was great!

Room Tip: lakeside rooms are amazing and beauitful!
Reviewed 8 February 2012

beautiful hotel. Lots to do. return in a heartbeat

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We couldn't make it up to the top of the hill in snow where the hotel is located. The parking is down at the bottom of the hill. So, they should have given more consideration to all those guests who have to carry their luggage from the bottom to the top of the hill at check-in and out, especially in the snow. Other than that, the room and the view from the hotel are fantastic. What most impressed me was the cleanliness. The restaurants are over priced. A super mini croissant at their takeout cafe is $2.50! The popular restaurant they have requires you a reservation, so basically when you finally get there at the feont desk to check-in, you have no chances of getting into the restaurant. Nothing around the hotel, so you have the choices of eat at the restaurant or sturve till next morning. In the morning, you also face an expensive choice of buffet breakfast - $25! They give away hot chocolate around the lobby area, but it's a way too sweet! The outdoor hot tab was nice even in snow. The spa is over priced as well. But, I could vote for the cleanliness of the hotel, that's for sure.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank LoveLoveFruit
Reviewed 7 February 2012

NIce quiet hotel to relax. The constant snow throughout our stay added to the relaxing atmosphere. All the food in the food outlets were good. The only drawback is that the indoor heated pool was not hot enough to take a dip during winter months. The staff throughout the hotel was friendly. The hotel had a great lounge to take it easy.

Room Tip: Request for a room facing the lake in the summer months.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Attentive staff and a beautiful location. A little pricey, two drinks at the bar (caesar and a glass of wine) cost $24, not including tip. I do have to say, it was the best caesar I have ever had. Having said that, I would certaily come back but only in the winter. Fire pits, outdoor heated pool, skating rink overlooking the region is a bonus for parents with children. I would look for a deal through Wagjag or wait for a deal through Marriot before paying the regular rate.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minett
34 km away
31.9 km away
Trillium Resort and Spa
Trillium Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sydney

Been to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!