“Nice place”

Chakalaka Bar & Grill
Ranked #11 of 48 Restaurants in Ladysmith
Reviewed September 6, 2017

The Chakalaka Bar & Grill is located in Cassidy, BC, a few minutes south of the Nanaimo Airport. It is quite large, spacious and comfortable. They have an awesome looking patio out back with gorgeous stone walls and a lot of foliage for shade in the summer. I would definitely do the patio in comfortable weather. The menu is also quite extensive, without being overly complicated, and had an excellent selection of Greek culinary choices and beer on tap. We tried their Cuban Sandwich with fries. The Cuban had good flavour and was more or less a proper Cuban sandwich. My biggest disappointment was that the pulled pork was not fresh, on the fatty side and rather chewy. The sandwich had good portions of pulled pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and also banana peppers, which added nice texture and savoury sour flavour. The bun wasn’t pressed in a grill, nor was it proper ciabatta bread, which would have also been a significant improvement. The fries were perfect. Crispy outside, soft inside, hot and not greasy at all. Yum! Dessert was sadly not impressive at all. The lemon meringue pie and cream puff were old and did not taste homemade. I should note that the Chakalaka may be the only place I've found in the Nanaimo region to even have a Cuban sandwich on it's regular menu, so perfecting that sandwich would give them a solid and unique menu item, and let me be clear that it's almost there. The service is incredibly warm, friendly, and attentive. That alone would encourage me to give the Chakalaka another try. Our server was such a sweetheart. While we were there, another customer told her that their burger was sensational. The burger menu selection was quite impressive in variety and combinations. I would definitely try a burger next visit.

Reviewed August 25, 2017

We visited for dinner. Appetizer of fire prawns was very good. I had the New Orleans
dinner & my husband had baby back ribs. Both were excellent. Service was very fast & efficient.
Our waitress Janice was awesome!
We will certainly be back.
Thanks.

Reviewed August 19, 2017

When we walked into the restaurant we were impressed with the ambience as it is beautiful. We were greeted (by our future server), with a half smile, and she offered us the patio and firstly made a comment of why she doesn't understand why more people choose inside oddly than outside. So to me, this was unprofessional dissing customers choices!!! So anyways, with a grain of salt, we sat down and she took our drink order right away (missed the water that she repeated back to us lol), but we thought, oh well, we will ask her next time she comes back. We were the only ones seated outside and the restaurant had only a few tables occupied,about 15 minutes later another table came in, then another party shortly after. They had their own server and when we were still waiting for our server (dark hair and glasses), was MIA to take our appy and dinner order. The other server (very outgoing and friendly and "Attentive", asked us if she took our order yet, we said no so she got her to come to us. She took our order, we waited 20 minutes for the small and overpriced Calamari, then waited forever for our dinner also. I noticed the other tables were served their dinner before our's (the second party had our server). Our server came back to explain to us that their food is fresh and not pre-cooked or microwaved LOL, so took that with a grain of salt also as she could have been genuine? Who knows at this point, so I still had to point out the others were later than us (as nice as can be).To add, the server asked if we were in a hurry, which could be taken either way.Then we got our meals, and mine was an Asian noodle dish with no asian veggies like it said, as it consisted of carrots and lots of peppers!! No bok choy etc. And the chicken was an extra $7 for 4 little pieces for a total of $22. Incredible..Didn't say anymore, waited forever for the bill (went to the washroom to see two tables inside that were occupied). We then got up to pay our bill and she didn't apologize at all for the delay the whole time, in fact was quite sarcastic/stressed when it came down to me asking for change and making a point it was her last $5 dollar bills! Then my friend decided to give her a big bill for it all so then she commented how confusing this is and gave us the look. This is the worst experience ever and will never recommend this place to anyone! So maybe they should re-consider their server as she didn't try to make it any better so we would come back, in fact she clearly wanted us gone. So word of mouth is HUGE, and in this case a place like Slice Resto is amazing with great servers and food! Try there and you would be so "happy".

Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

Three adults & 2 children for dinner. We all had different meals & all enjoyed it very much. The service was very good & is nicely renovated. Want to go back on a night they have live music

Reviewed August 8, 2017

For over a year now,I would always say to myself as I drove out to Nanaimo airport to catch my flight, that on my way back ,I must stop in and check out this place!"

Of course ,that never happened until last month when I was picking up friends at the airport and chose this time to visit Chakalaka....it is just a few minutes from the airport.

To be quite honest,I was taking my chances for sure as this building had seen a few owners over the last while yet never seemed to gain many brownie points from patrons.

But this time,it was very different and a pleasant surprise!
Chakalaka definitely is not the average bar & grill at all!....the ambiance and decor is welcoming and eye catching...a lovely place for a relaxing lunch on the patio or an evening out for a special occasion....inside,booths and tables make it enjoyable for everyone and the prices are quite reasonable.

The menu offers Greek cuisine but also has a varied menu to satisfy any appetitive.
The service is what impressed me too....our server was friendly and fun...it was easy to see that she enjoyed her job which is so refreshing to see in the business of the restaurant world of today.
I am looking forward to visiting Chakalaka before summer is out for a delicious evening out with friends for dinner.
Kudos to Chakalaka !....you are a winner in my books!