All reviews three meals a day hot tub crow gate salt water pool buffet style food sensitivities waterfront view total relaxation ping pong table evening tea glass of wine inclusive acres tennis bc sauna ocean
Reviewed January 19, 2017 via mobile

Booked into YPL for may wife's birthday. Some friends have been comming here for years so we thought we would give it a try. We were very lucky as reservations are almost impossible to get. The setting with it's 270 degree waterfront view is spectacular. In this day of high speed communications its interesting to see a hand written reservation system and a credit card recipt delivered by mail only. They do not use email. Cell phones and laptops are not allowed in the main salon but you can get wifi in the games room down in the basement. Food is one menu for all and they do cater to people with food sensitivities. The meals are basic but very delicious. You sit at tables for eight so you are able to mix with other guests. The area around yellow point has a varied mixture of artists and artisans to keep your interest. This is agreat place and worth returning to.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2017

We first went to YPL in December 1992 when I visited my then Canadian girlfriend. I was blown away by the mix of rustic comfort, amazing home style food, fantastic staff, charismatic owner, wide open property set in a coastal gem, awesome cabins (of all sizes), peace and quiet, Saturday night live lodge band and dancing, etc, etc. And to top it all, it was and still is amazing value. We got married in 1995 and I emigrated to Vancouver. YPL was the first choice for our anniversary that year and it became the only choice from that year onwards. We have also slipped an extra couple of trips in over the years. For the active they have complimentary bikes, kayaks, paddle boards, amazing trails to walk or run, and a gym. To help recover they add hot tub, sauna and massages. Summer sees the opening of the amazing salt water outdoor pool, set right into the natural rock on the property. For me, my favourite activity is drinking a bottle of McEwens Export by the roaring fire in the main lodge (did I mention they probably have the cheapest prices by a long way on beer, liquor and wine that I've ever seen in a hotel/lodge).
I have stayed in many hotels, lodges, bed and breakfasts etc over the years, in many places around the world, but nothing matches this place for that sheer "got to go again" feeling, and all that at a price that not break the bank.
You will never be hungry, and you will feel instantly relaxed !

Room Tip: White Beach Cabins and Cliff Cabins have amazing view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2016

A massive log lodge overlooking Pacific waters. Idyllic peace and tranquility. Home cooked meals and old fashioned relaxation. We have enjoyed the lodge and it's accommodations for 45 years. Summer or winter, outdoor pool or roaring fire in the massive stone fireplace, a truly unique experience.

Room Tip: Cabins in the woods are romantic getaways.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2016

Words cannot adequately describe the YPL experience. I visit twice a year and spend the time in between thinking about it. If you find it really necessary to leave the property, the Crow and Gate Pub awaits you. Otherwise, relax, eat, sleep, read, (repeat) away from annoying hand held devices.

Room Tip: Field Cabins are rustic with bed and woodstove, but near washroom and oh so cozy!
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2016 via mobile

My late husband's parents had their honeymoon at Yellow Point Lodge so we had stayed there many years ago and decided to return.
Driving down the gravel road off Yellow Point Road it felt like only yesterday...
We weren't considered guests however at the sign it said that visitors are welcome but must check in at the office.
I was warmly welcomed and was given direction to have a coffee in the lounge area and was able to visit outside property areas at the front of the lodge - rocky beach and pool area. Other areas were for Guests.
So we went out the front door to a stunning view of the ocean! The wind was strong with the scent of salt water! Just as I remembered so many years ago.
It hasn't lost its charm! Small rentals cabins right on the beach by the rocks. Large chairs to sit in to take in the scenery. Salt water pool and stretch of rocky beach with layers of driftwood, very Gulf Island shoreline. We walked around and enjoyed about an hour there. Considering returning to stay for a few nights soon!
This lovely Sunday afternoon adventure also included a visit to Cedar Farmers Market (May - October 10:00-2:00) and we suggest a fine meal at the Crow and Gate. If you do the full drive on Yellow Point Road there are various stands and stops for other items like flowers and produce for sale and then out to Island Hwy from Cedar Road entering just south of Nanaimo BC.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple