“Yummy homemade fare”

Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Ladysmith
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 13, 2017

Delicious soup and sandwich lunch..Quiet patio
A little slow in service but after hiking all morning enjoyed the delicious sandwich of chicken and cheese. Panini was generous. Would highly recommend!

Reviewed June 27, 2017

I used to love this place--friendly staff, great coffee and food, welcoming and clean restaurant. On my past two visits however, I have been extremely disappointed. I took my family there for breakfast this past weekend and was greeted by a rather glum person at the register who I had to repeat our order to several times. We took a place to sit on the side patio, and waited for more than 20 minutes for our food to arrive. The restaurant wasn't that busy, so I didn't know what was hung up in the kitchen. When I asked the cashier/barista if she could check on our food order, she asked me again to repeat my order, because she couldn't remember it. The food finally arrived 15 minutes after that, so my assumption was that our order was never placed in the first place. When I used the restroom, it was disgusting--someone had clearly gotten sick and vomited in the toilet. Overall a really bad experience. When my husband and I stopped in the following day for a coffee to go, we were greeted by a different cashier, but still rather grumpy. Then we noticed that there were several Jamaican patty pastries in the display case that were actually green with mould. My husband pointed this out to the cashier, but we never saw if they were actually removed from the case before we left.

Reviewed June 7, 2017

This is a bright airy bistro with many snack choices as well. I enjoyed my latte and other guests appeared to be quite happy with their choices. My wife and I found it a bit noisy for casual conversation - this is perhaps exacerbated by me wearing hearing aides <grin>. Located just on the edge of downtown Ladysmith, it's a easy stroll up to the main street to enjoy the funky shops. For us, it was a good place to meet up with friends.

Reviewed May 30, 2017

Eaten here many times. Great food and coffee. Really nice atmosphere as well. Can't go wrong. Just beware it gets really busy at lunchtime.

Reviewed May 25, 2017

I meet a friend for lunch on Fridays, and this was a spot we chose to try out based on other recommendations. I give In the Beantime high marks for the space, and moderate marks for the food.

First the food - good to very good with a few disappointments. First, when one goes to a sandwich place these days the expectation is that the bread choice is varied. Here it isn't. The choices are white or whole wheat. Disappointment set in at that stage. Although the whole wheat was good, one would expect that at least a multi grain would be a choice in a place like this. Second, no choice on the sandwich toppings or condiments other than the pre-selected choices. No grainy mustards, red onion etc was offered by the staff as an embellishment of the sandwich.

My clubhouse was lightly toasted (perfectly I might add) with fresh whole wheat bread sliced thickly. The chicken was roasted chicken was rotisserie style, in chunks, moist and tender. There was a side of multi-coloured tortilla chips along with the sandwich. My friend had the chicken sandwich, albeit the same as mine sans the bacon and tomato slices.

It was the first time I saw my friend leave part of the crust of the sandwich on his plate... and he did finish the majority of the sandwich. To compare to other places that we go, he normally takes a half of his sandwich home as the portions are too large for him to eat. Not this place - he and I basically ate it all.

Now the space. Wow! An old commercial building with exposed brick walls and a high (I'd venture it was 14 to 16 feet ceiling that makes for a sunny (south facing) locale for a chat. My comment to my friend was that this space could benefit with a remake of the food choices, then it would be a knock-out.

As far as the service, it is always appreciated when after the first couple of bites, the server asks how my meal is. This didn't happen even though she walked by numerous times to other tables. Disappointing.

But then again, I eat out often enough to be a little specific about the qualities of each restaurant that I visit.

I give In the Beantime a solid 4/5.