“Lacked the Luxury... a bit tired but nice location”

Taboo Muskoka Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Gravenhurst
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We were a bit disappointed with the overall hotel, rooms were small but as shown in the photos. Bathrooms looked as though they had been updated not so long ago.... but front desk service is lacking. It reminds me of a budget hotel not the luxury hotel they advertise. Our room was not cleaned the best, but when I called the front desk with my concern they did apologize and had the issued fixed right away. We also tried to eat at the restaurant which is by the water and has a nice view. The waitress was really flustered and we waited quite some time to get menus. Eventually we had to leave before eating as we had two very hunger toddlers who were not patient. This place needs more staff and to up their game with service offerings. We also tried to book a boat tour, which was confirmed by email. When we went down the next day for our tour we were told that the last boat left an hour ago. I showed the guys at the counter the email and they had no idea who it was from. It was a very odd situation and the guys were very friendly and pleasant, but again this place is not operating at the level of a luxury resort.

Room Tip: The "garden" side overlooks the parking lot. It should be described as Parking Lot View.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Derek W
Brandon Z, Director - Rooms Division at Taboo Muskoka Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Derek W,

Thank you for your review. I have forwarded your comments to our management team for further review.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Taboo is a closer drive to Toronto GTA and ideally situated on one of the larger lakes. It's easy to get to and very scenic. It's a smaller resort that offers some good amenities but doesn't offer too much for the kids. Unlike Deerhurst, they have a climbing gym, water play park in the lake, indoor/outdoor swimming pools, golfing etc. Taboo has tennis courts and an activity area (but when we arrived with the kids...we're almost certain the staff in this building were high. And if not, they were really out of it). For the amount of money we spent at Taboo and upon reflection, the kids and the adults were happier at Deerhurst. Dining is limited at Taboo (with only just one spot to eat on site, otherwise you're having to drive into town about 10 minutes away) and what they offer is very expensive. If memory serves me correctly...a side of fries alone was $10 (and they weren't great). Just saying...

Parents, save your money...and find another resort.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank kc12345566
Brandon Z, Director - Rooms Division at Taboo Muskoka Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2017

kc12345566,

Although we feel Taboo Muskoka has countless activities for both adults and kids, we can't argue with the preferences of you and your children and thank you for at least giving us a shot, we appreciate your willingness to try a different resort this season. However, respectfully, to assert our staff were 'high' is simply not only untrue but insulting to our Recreation team who have worked tirelessly since the beginning of May. Duties include raking the beach, maintaining the clay tennis courts and trails manually, running daily kids activities like 'Tye-Dye' and 'Create a Critter', leading guided hikes and canoe tours of Lake Muskoka, cleaning up used beach and pool towels, leading scavenger hunts, chopping wood and foraging for wood to build fires so our guests can enjoy s'mores and hot dogs, setting up movie nights by the lake, among an abundance other activities and tasks - all done with a smile on their face. It's unfortunate you would make such assertions. Also, in and effort to not mislead our future guests, our lunch and dinner menu entrees range in price from $12 - $35 (rack of lamb) and a side of hand cut daily french fries is $5, not $10 as you stated above. Please note we have a kids menu as well. I'm sorry to hear you would not recommend Taboo to other parents but hopefully you'd be willing to give us another try down the road. Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We were in town for a friends 25th wedding anniversary and booked Taboo well in advance. Prices were great!! the hotel rooms was HUGE with a built in gas fireplace and a magnificent view of Lake Muskoka. The entrance and the front desk was simple and not very large and we later found out there had been a terrible fire at the resort two years prior. We did eat at the Boat House regardless of the reviews...and found it very enjoyable. If you're looking for a great getaway and love golf or tennis or even sitting on the beach....this is your spot!!....great get away!!!

Room Tip: get a LAKE view room, WORTH IT!!!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

stephaniefromcanada,

Thanks for staying with us and Happy Anniversary once again. It sure sounds like you took full advantage of the resort's amenities which is great to hear - there is definitely no shortage of things to do while on property. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we hope to see you for your 26th!

Reviewed 31 August 2017

The rooms are outstanding! Roomy with a spa like bathroom. Perhaps missing a touch of the "old Muskoka" from yesteryear, but they did rename it Taboo!!! Looking forward to some refining touches as they rebuild next year. What was a delightful surprise was the Boathouse Restaurant!!! I had the Lamb which was cooked to perfection and my husband had the the duck....both were superb!!! The new chef is definitely taking charge and the food was beautiful! Anna the restaurant manager could not have been more accommodating and the wait staff were first class! A very pleasant first impression!

Room Tip: The lake views are incredible!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Brandon Z, Director - Rooms Division at Taboo Muskoka Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

the2mlinsons,

Thank you for your review! The lamb and the duck are my personal favourites on the menu - so I'm happy you enjoyed them as well. I will be sure to pass your comments along to the Boathouse staff and look forward to seeing you at the resort next season!

Reviewed 30 August 2017

This was our first visit to this resort. We paid $517 for a one night stay and play. We drove down on our motorcycle with trailer on Sunday morning. Out tee off time was 1 pm. Beautiful, challenging golf course. I can't say enough good things about it.It gets a 10 out of 10. We stayed Sunday night in room 436 (view is parking lot). Clean room, nice bathroom (low water pressure and poor lighting).Couldn't use balcony, as chairs full of bird poop and tons of spiders and webs etc. A daily wipe down of balcony is highly recommended. If you appreciate good food, DON'T EAT HERE!! Food is horrible. If we had a vehicle, rather than our motorcycle, we would have walked out of the Boathouse restaurant as soon as we walked in, and driven into Gravenhurst to eat. The pictures on website and trip advisor must have been taken when restaurant first opened. No way it looks like this now. It is run down & dirty. Our table had food stuck on it and was chipped and tattered. Restaurant needs a complete overhaul (new furniture, add some color and design, so it compliments the resort -- not takes away from it!) The restaurant deck is rotting and very sad looking. I wish I could have taken photos to post but my camera died on me. I ordered the chicken dish. It came with a small bowl of mac & cheese(hardly cooked and tasted like sawdust-Kraft dinner would have been better). The vegetable was corn on the cob. It had tons of hair on it, was overcooked, dried out and COLD. Butter wouldn't even melt on the cob. Prices are outrageous for quantity and quality. We ordered a shrimp wrap appetizer. It comes with lettuce leaves and condiments in bowls so you make your shrimp wrap yourself. Server did advise us the dipping sauce was a bit on the spicy side. When it arrived, close to half the shrimp were sitting in the dipping sauce, which is EXTREMELY spicy. I like spicy food & sauces (wife doesn't), but the sauce was way too hot for me to even enjoy. My mouth was on fire. Dipping sauce needs to be served in a bowl, so YOU can decide if you want it on your shrimp. Wife had the trout, which was cooked properly. Veggie was kale, but she subbed for corn on the cob (for extra charge). They charged us for appetizer and trout and thankfully, without argument, the manager removed the price of my meal and the extra charge for wife's corn from our bill. THEY SHOULD HAVE PAID US TO EAT HERE!! Honestly, it was a terrible experience at this restaurant, so unless you are okay with eating crappy food and overpaying, you will want to go elsewhere to eat. We did advise the resort manager of our disappointment with the restaurant condition and poor quality of food. He said we would hear back from him, but we never did. We thought that maybe when we checked out on Monday morning, we would receive a small discount off the price of our stay, as compensation for the horrible experience at the restaurant, but that didn't happen. IF we decide to return to the resort to golf, we will arrive by car so that we can eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Scott H,

Thank you for choosing Taboo Muskoka and for taking the time to post your review. I'm sorry to see you did not enjoy your restaurant experience, but I'm glad the manager recognized the situation and removed your food from the bill. As such, no further discount was applied at the front desk when you checked out. I have forwarded your feedback to our F&B team for further review - I'm hoping you will give us another chance to prove that the Boathouse Restaurant is a great place to eat. On a positive note I'm happy you enjoyed your '10 out of 10' golf experience. Hopefully we will see you at the resort in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

When I pay $275 a night as the discounted rate for a hotel room I expect better! The Service leaves much wanting as does the food in the restaurant. A block of rooms were booked and when I asked for a trolley to be sent up to move my.uggage I was told they did not have enough staff to come and get it. When I said my safe needed unlocking they did not send a staff person, in the restaurant 8 of us ordered salads and sandwiches and it took more then 45 minutes to serve the food. One salad came when we were all finished ( it was compt). Don't pretend you are a first class resort when the service is second class. The scenery is breathtaking but they need to work on better service.

Room Tip: Ask for water side. We did but did not get one
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Onthemove400,

Thank you for staying with us. I'm sorry your experience was not what you had hoped for. I have forwarded your comments to our management team for further review. Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

We have stayed at taboo many times over pre-fire days. This was our first time back since and unfortunately, we did not enjoy our stay. Let me start off by saying that this trip was just an overnight stay and I am 6 months pregnant. My husband and I were looking to get away from the busy city, relax, sleep in for just a couple of days. That is not something that we experienced.

individual staff members, the guys at the water activities, are doing an excellent job with customer service. We rented a boat for a couple of hours and that was the highlight of our stay. The staff members were quick to help us out with everything we needed and helped us navigate around. The kitchen staff, however, were noticeably slow over dinner and lunch service. We had ordered dessert and waited around 35 minutes for that to come out of the kitchen. Our server Mikhaila (sorry if misspelled) saw that after an hour and a half at dinner service we were really looking forward to leaving and requested dessert to go, had apologized many times over and even wrote a sweet note we found in our to go bag. She along with a couple of other servers had commented to us that the kitchen staff is a "very slow bunch so please have patience"
Our server over breakfast went as far as telling us to order additional French toast about half hour earlier if we could "to give the slow kitchen bunch time to figure it out"
That's not something that should occur at a resort of this standard, especially if this is your own restaurant now and everyone is aware of how slow items are coming out of the kitchen, yet doing nothing about it.

Food aside, getting our one night of rest was the major upsetting point of our stay. The power came out in the late evening as my husband and I were watching a movie in room after dinner. No backup generators kick in and we were left int he dark with no phone. My husband took the stairs down to the reception where he was notified they were aware of the problem. We gave up on the idea of having any power in the room and were forced to go to sleep earlier. Around 1am, we woke up to a group loudly getting ice and drinks from the pop machine and yelling about their day, which was just outside our door, room 317. You hear EVERYTHING from the room, as if there is zero insulation or door. At that point, we only had lights working in the bathroom and I went down to reception to see if this will fixed. Again, assured they are aware of the problem....Around 3 am the fun started...my husband and I were jolted awake by some type of alarm in room (not sure if it was fire) which would go off and beep every minute or so. Absolutely impossible to sleep and pissed off and pregnant I found myself walking down to reception again to find out when it will be dealt with. I found myself among a dozen other pissed off hotel guests in their pyjamas enquiring about the same issue.
For a hotel of this size and the reputation it had, we were very surprised that there is no backup system to kick in. When the lights did come back on and the beeping stopped, it was another hour of dealing with the beeping noise of the alarm system. By that time we were so exhausted, we no longer cared for anything. In the morning, we found the tv was still not working but again, were too tired to care about this mess and checked out. At reception, mentioning this again, there were no apologies or sincere concern over the previous night, just a stone cold "yes we were aware, yes the power went out"
Really appalling and really too bad that we got to experience this chaotic bs on the one night we came. The Prices of the resort are steep in the high season, and for one night we paid around 430$ I believe. We got no rest or sleep and felt that reception simply did not care about the situation. Came to enjoy one night of rest and relaxation and left exhausted and grumpy, dealing several times with ignorant people.
The resort reception needs to take a lesson from the pre-fire customer service days. Would not recommend this place to friends or family.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

akravtch,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We experienced a complete power outage at the resort the last night of your stay at 11:56pm at which time our backup generator kicked in to supply power to the essential hotel systems - hallway and stairwell lights, fire safety systems, front desk computers, emergency equipment etc. We confirmed with Veridian Connections, our utilities provider, the power outage had not only affected the resort but parts of the surrounding Gravenhurst area as well. As the power was being repaired we noticed a partial restoration at 1:50am. Then, at 3:20am the power was completely restored which caused the in-room detectors to reset resulting in the beeping. At that time, as you mentioned, about a dozen to 15 guests made their way down to the lobby. It took approximately 15 mins for the system to completely reset as power was restored in stages to the hotel. The beeping stopped at 3:36am. We understand your frustration however the power outage was completely out of our control and the detector system functioned as it was designed to. Rest assured at no time did the fire alarm sound nor was there a safety concern for our guests. I'm very happy with how my Front Desk Agent and Security guard handled the situation, I arrived on property just before the beeping stopped at 3:36am - by that time all of our guests had gone back to the rooms. When I reviewed the situation with my GM in the morning we both felt the $100 credit was appropriate given the circumstances. In speaking with you that morning at the front desk I explained the situation and handed you the credit letter personally, you seemed understanding at that time as I expressed my sincere apologies. Again, the power outage was completely out of our control - these things happen from time to time in Muskoka but as a sign of good faith we offered the credit. The majority of our guests were understanding of the situation and even commented on how well Smit (Front Desk Agent) handled the situation. Hopefully you will give Taboo another chance, we would love to have you back at the resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gravenhurst
31.1 km away
33.0 km away
Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
#2 of 4 in Port Severn

Been to Taboo Muskoka Resort? Share your experiences!