All reviewsboathouse restaurantgolf coursetennis courtsboat houseview of the lakenew chefrain showerhiking trailsfine diningget awayboat rentalslong weekendking roombeautiful locationspapoolsrecreation
Reviewed September 6, 2017

Taboo is a closer drive to Toronto GTA and ideally situated on one of the larger lakes. It's easy to get to and very scenic. It's a smaller resort that offers some good amenities but doesn't offer too much for the kids. Unlike Deerhurst, they have a climbing gym, water play park in the lake, indoor/outdoor swimming pools, golfing etc. Taboo has tennis courts and an activity area (but when we arrived with the kids...we're almost certain the staff in this building were high. And if not, they were really out of it). For the amount of money we spent at Taboo and upon reflection, the kids and the adults were happier at Deerhurst. Dining is limited at Taboo (with only just one spot to eat on site, otherwise you're having to drive into town about 10 minutes away) and what they offer is very expensive. If memory serves me correctly...a side of fries alone was $10 (and they weren't great). Just saying...

Parents, save your money...and find another resort.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank passportinhand0980
Brandon Z, Director - Rooms Division at Taboo Muskoka Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2017

kc12345566,

Although we feel Taboo Muskoka has countless activities for both adults and kids, we can't argue with the preferences of you and your children and thank you for at least giving us a shot, we appreciate your willingness to try a different resort this season. However, respectfully, to assert our staff were 'high' is simply not only untrue but insulting to our Recreation team who have worked tirelessly since the beginning of May. Duties include raking the beach, maintaining the clay tennis courts and trails manually, running daily kids activities like 'Tye-Dye' and 'Create a Critter', leading guided hikes and canoe tours of Lake Muskoka, cleaning up used beach and pool towels, leading scavenger hunts, chopping wood and foraging for wood to build fires so our guests can enjoy s'mores and hot dogs, setting up movie nights by the lake, among an abundance other activities and tasks - all done with a smile on their face. It's unfortunate you would make such assertions. Also, in and effort to not mislead our future guests, our lunch and dinner menu entrees range in price from $12 - $35 (rack of lamb) and a side of hand cut daily french fries is $5, not $10 as you stated above. Please note we have a kids menu as well. I'm sorry to hear you would not recommend Taboo to other parents but hopefully you'd be willing to give us another try down the road. Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed September 4, 2017

We were in town for a friends 25th wedding anniversary and booked Taboo well in advance. Prices were great!! the hotel rooms was HUGE with a built in gas fireplace and a magnificent view of Lake Muskoka. The entrance and the front desk was simple and not very large and we later found out there had been a terrible fire at the resort two years prior. We did eat at the Boat House regardless of the reviews...and found it very enjoyable. If you're looking for a great getaway and love golf or tennis or even sitting on the beach....this is your spot!!....great get away!!!

Room Tip: get a LAKE view room, WORTH IT!!!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephaniefromcanada

stephaniefromcanada,

Thanks for staying with us and Happy Anniversary once again. It sure sounds like you took full advantage of the resort's amenities which is great to hear - there is definitely no shortage of things to do while on property. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we hope to see you for your 26th!

Reviewed August 31, 2017

The rooms are outstanding! Roomy with a spa like bathroom. Perhaps missing a touch of the "old Muskoka" from yesteryear, but they did rename it Taboo!!! Looking forward to some refining touches as they rebuild next year. What was a delightful surprise was the Boathouse Restaurant!!! I had the Lamb which was cooked to perfection and my husband had the the duck....both were superb!!! The new chef is definitely taking charge and the food was beautiful! Anna the restaurant manager could not have been more accommodating and the wait staff were first class! A very pleasant first impression!

Room Tip: The lake views are incredible!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Brandon Z, Director - Rooms Division at Taboo Muskoka Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2017

the2mlinsons,

Thank you for your review! The lamb and the duck are my personal favourites on the menu - so I'm happy you enjoyed them as well. I will be sure to pass your comments along to the Boathouse staff and look forward to seeing you at the resort next season!

Reviewed August 30, 2017

This was our first visit to this resort. We paid $517 for a one night stay and play. We drove down on our motorcycle with trailer on Sunday morning. Out tee off time was 1 pm. Beautiful, challenging golf course. I can't say enough good things about it.It gets a 10 out of 10. We stayed Sunday night in room 436 (view is parking lot). Clean room, nice bathroom (low water pressure and poor lighting).Couldn't use balcony, as chairs full of bird poop and tons of spiders and webs etc. A daily wipe down of balcony is highly recommended. If you appreciate good food, DON'T EAT HERE!! Food is horrible. If we had a vehicle, rather than our motorcycle, we would have walked out of the Boathouse restaurant as soon as we walked in, and driven into Gravenhurst to eat. The pictures on website and trip advisor must have been taken when restaurant first opened. No way it looks like this now. It is run down & dirty. Our table had food stuck on it and was chipped and tattered. Restaurant needs a complete overhaul (new furniture, add some color and design, so it compliments the resort -- not takes away from it!) The restaurant deck is rotting and very sad looking. I wish I could have taken photos to post but my camera died on me. I ordered the chicken dish. It came with a small bowl of mac & cheese(hardly cooked and tasted like sawdust-Kraft dinner would have been better). The vegetable was corn on the cob. It had tons of hair on it, was overcooked, dried out and COLD. Butter wouldn't even melt on the cob. Prices are outrageous for quantity and quality. We ordered a shrimp wrap appetizer. It comes with lettuce leaves and condiments in bowls so you make your shrimp wrap yourself. Server did advise us the dipping sauce was a bit on the spicy side. When it arrived, close to half the shrimp were sitting in the dipping sauce, which is EXTREMELY spicy. I like spicy food & sauces (wife doesn't), but the sauce was way too hot for me to even enjoy. My mouth was on fire. Dipping sauce needs to be served in a bowl, so YOU can decide if you want it on your shrimp. Wife had the trout, which was cooked properly. Veggie was kale, but she subbed for corn on the cob (for extra charge). They charged us for appetizer and trout and thankfully, without argument, the manager removed the price of my meal and the extra charge for wife's corn from our bill. THEY SHOULD HAVE PAID US TO EAT HERE!! Honestly, it was a terrible experience at this restaurant, so unless you are okay with eating crappy food and overpaying, you will want to go elsewhere to eat. We did advise the resort manager of our disappointment with the restaurant condition and poor quality of food. He said we would hear back from him, but we never did. We thought that maybe when we checked out on Monday morning, we would receive a small discount off the price of our stay, as compensation for the horrible experience at the restaurant, but that didn't happen. IF we decide to return to the resort to golf, we will arrive by car so that we can eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott H

Scott H,

Thank you for choosing Taboo Muskoka and for taking the time to post your review. I'm sorry to see you did not enjoy your restaurant experience, but I'm glad the manager recognized the situation and removed your food from the bill. As such, no further discount was applied at the front desk when you checked out. I have forwarded your feedback to our F&B team for further review - I'm hoping you will give us another chance to prove that the Boathouse Restaurant is a great place to eat. On a positive note I'm happy you enjoyed your '10 out of 10' golf experience. Hopefully we will see you at the resort in the future.

Reviewed August 28, 2017

When I pay $275 a night as the discounted rate for a hotel room I expect better! The Service leaves much wanting as does the food in the restaurant. A block of rooms were booked and when I asked for a trolley to be sent up to move my.uggage I was told they did not have enough staff to come and get it. When I said my safe needed unlocking they did not send a staff person, in the restaurant 8 of us ordered salads and sandwiches and it took more then 45 minutes to serve the food. One salad came when we were all finished ( it was compt). Don't pretend you are a first class resort when the service is second class. The scenery is breathtaking but they need to work on better service.

Room Tip: Ask for water side. We did but did not get one
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Onthemove400,

Thank you for staying with us. I'm sorry your experience was not what you had hoped for. I have forwarded your comments to our management team for further review. Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.