“Great Change from hotels”

Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland
Reviewed 27 September 2014

As my sales trip was going to allow me to have the weekend in Newfoundland and I will be required to spend 6 days in hotels I wanted something more like home for the weekend. I found Riverfront in the NFLD Guide and contacted them and boy am I glad I did. Although I never met the owners they seemed very pleasant in our emails exchange. These chalets are well maintained and laid out with loads of room, way more then I would need. I love the fact that they charge your cc before you arrive (normal for this type of accommodation) and then all you have to do is go to your assigned cabin and every thing is there for you, so refreshing when you arrive late especially. The chalet was spotless and had everything you need for a good nights sleep. I was a little surprised how close to the highway it is but except a few large trucks you really don't hear the traffic at all and the little you do hear is not disruptive of the peacefulness. I sadly did not have a chance to explore the beautiful surroundings as I arrived late and it was raining the next day plus not having hunters orange vest I would not want to do to much walking in the woods in hunting season. However it was so nice to open the patio door and hear the river running while eating breakfast. Sadly i could not eat outside as again it was raining and the patio is not covered and there is no umbrella. In saying that the kitchen table is right in front of the window so you still get to see the tranquil scenery. The bathroom is huge and the soak-er tub although a bit small for me (6'4") was still very relaxing. I might at as a suggestion to the owners that a note by the tub explaining that if the jets are used that they will self clean later on, as it was a bit of a concern and surprising after going to bed and hearing them, not a big deal but it does kinda startle you at night lol. The furniture is tasteful and comfortable. and the wood walls give off a very nice aroma. The only complaint I have and this is not their fault as the type of internet service they have to use as they are not in a city, it is very slow and unreliable. I had to tether my phone to get some work done and this review done again this is not an issue that the owners can do anything about as I had a similar service at my cottage and it is what it is. I am just pointing out in case the internet is a major requirement of anyone reading this review. I will be more then glad to return here if my travels and their availability allows. If you are like me and are traveling allot and what a break from hotels check them out, you will be glad you did. If you are traveling for pleasure and want a great place to stay then same thing check them out you will be glad you did. PS there is a a great bbq on the deck, not a cheap one like allot of places have, so if you love to bbq this is a huge plus! I did not get to enjoy the hottub but love the fact it is saltwater and wish i could have, imagine sitting in the great outdoors in a hot tub in Late Sept or even better in the winter! Great job and thumbs up goes out to these owners!

Room Tip: I noticed that the fire pit is down a bit but in front of cabin 4, this was not an issue for me but...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2014

Hi Paul. Thanks for all the wonderful comments on our chalets and property. The next time you will have to make sure you take some time to enjoy the outside property too. If there is anything you ever need while here ie...an orange hunting vest, please give us a call or I am usually on the land and I will do my vest to accommodate you. Yeah....the internet here is spotty. We are online through a smart hub, the best option Telus can provide, but it is limiting for sure. We actually already have this limitation on our website already. "Spotty at best" I think it says. Tethering is the best option if you MUST have internet. However most people don't have an issue. By the way, when you return, #3 has the strongest signal. And YES....the BBQs are awesome aren't they? I never realized there could be so much difference in BBQing until I discovered Weber. We have one for our house as well.

There are newer reviews for Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We were traveling from St John's to Gros Morne National Park, and found Riverfront Chalets as a good mid point stop over for the long drive. WOW, we're we ever happy to have chosen this resort destination. The chalets were the best accommodation that we experienced in Newfoundland: they were spotlessly clean, modern and well equipped with full kitchen, BBQ and a great view of the beautiful river. It was really a perfect spot and excellent for kids. The owner and staff are helpful and friendly.

I also highly recommend the rafting. We took the kids (ages 10, 8 & 7) white water rafting with Rafting Newfoundland, and enjoyed the hot tub, and riverfront fire pit in the evening.

1  Thank Claire F

Hi Claire. Well it sounds like you enjoyed yourself on the river and at the chalets! Thank you very much for the great review and hope to see you again sometime. Thanks again.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Despite being the only place to do rafting in Newfoundland, they staff really make sure we get the maximum found we can get along this easy going river. River water was very warn in July so we didnt need the wet suit.We took back plenty of picture from this trip as the guides took plenty of us during the day. No special skills needed. Just get ready to get really wet!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I don't even know where to start!
I've had a Bucket List for several years now. Some of the wishes on my list included: swimming with dolphins, parasailing, swimming with stingrays, zip lining, Tely ten mile race ( several times ), and many others, with white water rafting being among them. As a surprise, my daughters arranged for me to not only have that experience, but booked your chalet as well for the weekend! The best part of my surprise was....they and their families were coming with me! Unfortunately, one of my daughters and her husband weren't able to make it last minute, but we brought their son with us.
Paul and Joy, I have to say, although I have been fortunate enough to experience some very beautiful things in my life.....this was probably the most memorable.
We live in St.John's and have passed the Exploits hundreds of times over the years. This was our first time experiencing the Lady up close and personal. She has something for everyone. She offers excitement and the whisper of danger to the thrill seekers....and she envelopes you in the beauty and grace of nature spread out before you just waiting to be explored.
We were so fortunate to have been assigned Will as our guide. He is an amazing young man and a wonderful ambassador for your company. Will was polite, funny, capable and informative all the while we were on the river. He pointed out any and all points of interest along the way. He told us where the Beothuks had settled. We gently floated by and in the silence of nature, you could conjure up the people of yesteryear in your imagination. You could see them in your mind going about their daily routines trying to eke out an existence. You could almost smell the smoke and the food cooking over open fires .....you could hear them talk to each other in their native tongue while the children's' laughter echoed in the air. You watch as a Beothuk man tries to catch a salmon with a primitive apparatus near the shore of the rattling blue mighty river. Overhead, watching all of this from her nest in a tall spruce is a magnificent eagle.
I was truly captivated by the mesmerizing scenery...and we really did see an large eagle in her nest watching us.....we would have missed that if Will hadn't pointed it out to us.
I know I have an over active imagination....did I mention writing a book is on my Bucket List ?

My husband refused to do most of the items on my List, but this time, he came, but with a little trepidation. I guess he figured if our 8 and 10 year old grandchildren could do it...he could!

We arrived at the Riverfront Chalets on Sunday. It was such a lovely surprise to see how well planned, well taken care of, and attention given to detail to everything on your property. The four chalets and their discreet connections, the rafting building, the change rooms and bathrooms, the bus and trailer for the rafts, the kayaks, the canoes, the horseshoe pitch, the stonework leading to the covered salt water hot tub, the seating around a campfire with stocked firewood....this all with the beautiful Exploits rustling in the foreground amidst a landscape in keeping with nature. You even arranged for little frogs to delight our grandchildren!

When we reluctantly left our adventure, our family had to go back to St. John's. Bill and I on the other hand had to continue on to the west coast on business. Everybody we talked to at gas stations, every restaurant, every business colleague, every hotel, and even the staff of Marble Mountain were encouraged by Bill and I to experience your awesome adventure! We also stressed that they had to have the complete experience by staying at your beautiful Chalets.

Paul....we can't thank you enough for envisioning and giving life to a beautiful experience in Newfoundland. We probably would never have had the pleasure of seeing the beautiful Exploits in entirety otherwise. Now we are in awe.

Our grandchildren went home as I mentioned earlier. Zach showed his DVD to his parents and friends and now they are making plans to raft as well!

In closing, I can't express what a joy it was to have met your young guide Will. He impressed me so much I even offered to be his Canadian Mum! Darren too was a delight and represented your company with pride. You chose your staff well!

If you want to send me some brochures, Bill and I would be thrilled to give them out to everybody we know. Our cabin is in an area where there are dozens and dozens of families we know who would be interested if they had the information.
We want everyone to have the wonderful and memorable experience we did.

We definitely will be back......please give Will regards from his Canadian Mum.

2  Thank MyBucketList2014
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Wow! I don't know where to start either! There are so many compliments here....overwhelming to say the least! Thanks so much. And yes.....I will send you some brochures. So glad you had a good time.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

A very good time with our family from Québec visiting our adopted land, 10 of us in the rafting boat, kids a bit afraid at first...crying...and minutes away having fun jumping in the water everywhere in the river! Our guide Will...an awesome personnality and pilot! you made our day and evening too! The kids exhausted were in bed early happy...and us adults around the camp fire still singing along, just like we did while paddling today! don't miss this experience! We.... will remember, it is now a superbe memory! THanks! Jaja

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Well thanks very much for the compliments! So may people are nervous at the start but then settle in quickly as they realize the professional staff we have here. Remember, let your inner 10 year old out! Hope you visit Newfoundland again real soon!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our Scout Patrol and Cub Pack had a fantastic day of rafting on Saturday. The guides were fantastic and made sure that everything was safe, fun and memorable. I would recommend anyone rafting in June when the water is still cold to rent a wetsuit. Many of us went in the water and all got wet but the suits kept us warm. Thanks Paul, Jeff and Haider for a great day on the Exploits River.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Peter. Well it was a pleasure having you guys here as well and glad you had a great time on the river! You guys are welcome to camp here anytime. We have 500 scouts here this week.....a busy one indeed! Thanks again.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Thank you Paul. We are just back to Corner Brook.
We had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The guided ski-doo tour you took us on was great and lunch on the trail was delicious. We seen caribou, a moose and even a eagle flying away with a rabbit for his lunch.
Supper at 48 High you booked for us was fabulous as well.
The Chalet and hot tub was beautiful. Oh and the wine you chose was perfect by the way :)
We look forward to returning again. Some time soon we hope :)
Thanks
Dawn and Jason

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason K
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thanks so much Jamie. It was a pleasure taking you guys out as well. Wonderful comments for sure! 48 high does have fantastic food. I would recommend it to anyone.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Falls Windsor
0.0 km away
Genevieve Bay Inn
Genevieve Bay Inn
#1 of 2 in St Barbe

Been to Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland? Share your experiences!