Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland
Lincolnshire
“Wow!”
Reviewed 3 August 2016

We spent a night here on our journey between St John's and Rocky Harbour and it was sensational. We arrived early as my husband and daughters were rafting and we was met by a really friendly team who answered any questions that we had and kitted the family out with their wetsuits ($15 each) but worth it if you feel the cold. The rafting was wonderful and my husband and daughters came back after a fantastic 5 hours jumping off rocks and tackling the rapids. As I didn't go rafting I waited to check in and although I wasn't due to check in until 3pm the team made sure that I was able to check in much earlier, this gave me the afternoon to sit and relax. We stayed in chalet number 1 and it was beautiful, the chalets are really high spec and equipped with spa baths which are totally relaxing. The chalet has two bedrooms one at the top and one downstairs, the beds were so comfortable and everything was so clean and tastefully done. The views from the chalets are amazing of the river and there is also a hot tub. I would totally recommend this accomodation and we would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2016, travelled with family
Paulwrose R, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this review, 5 August 2016
Awesome review and great to read such wonderful comments! Thank you so much and we hope to see you again soon. I love the views here too. The Exploits is a beautifil river!
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

Amazing time with the Rafting newfoundland staff on the river. Pleasure for all people (if you need extreme feeling it's ok, if you need safety for family it's the best place for beginning). The site and chalets is beautiful! Thanks Jason for the opportunity :)

Stayed July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2016

We recently stayed at Riverfront Chalets for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. The chalets are only a 20 minute drive from our hometown of Grand Falls-Windsor. This was a big reason why we haven’t stayed there before, it seemed “too close” for a getaway. Wrong. When you enter the area you are no longer home, you are at your destination. And you forgot you are minutes from home. What a breathtaking view of the Exploits River from the chalet. The chalets are terrific and well designed and spacious. We shared the chalet with another couple and there was loads of room. We enjoyed a great BBQ on the covered deck and enjoyed a few cocktails before making our way to the covered hot tub. This may have been our first trip to Riverfront, but definitely not our last. We are already making plans on a return visit this winter (hopefully by snowmobile) because I know firsthand, these chalets are only minutes away from some great trails and back country. This place is highly recommended whether you are travelling from the Central area or across the island.

Room Tip: if staying with two couples take the loft bedroom, what a view!!!
  • Stayed June 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff R
, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this review, 29 June 2016
Wow Jeff! Thanks so much for the wonderful review! Reviews like this certainly make running this resort a pleasure! I hear a lot of people comment that its an advantage to those living in Central to have the chalets close to home....must be true. Folkes from Gander to Springdale certainly keep us busy. I hope to see you this winter for your winter getaway to get some sledding in. Thanks again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

My husband and I shared a cabin with his brother and his brother's girlfriend, there was a bedroom and a loft, which worked out perfect. The cabin was very modern and clean, also very large. The grounds were perfect, spacious, beautiful and very well maintained. There was a hot tub and a bonfire pit, all overlooking the river. There was also a beautiful grounds cat that we pet for quite sometime outside on the lovely private patio. There is a grill, so bring some steaks!
There is not a single negative thing that I could add to this review.

Stayed June 2016, travelled as a couple
Paulwrose R, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this review, 20 June 2016
Hi Stacy. Wow, that one of the nicest reviews yet! Thanks so much! I am, glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again someday.
Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

Absolutely loved this chalet. The chalet is beautifully designed with hardwood through out. Clean , rustic country charm but with all modern amenities plus! Jacuzzi was a bonus after a day of snowmobiling to Hodges Hills ( owner was super helpful to plan our skidoo trip ). Then a quite soak in the freshwater hut tube under the stars. They never missed a thing, provided wine, candles, new fluffy white robes even wood for the fire pit; totally relaxed after that week. Would def recommend for a place to escape to or for adventure. We will be back the summer for their rafting tours. Oh and don't forget to sign the journal that is in each of the chalets.

Stayed April 2016, travelled as a couple
Paulwrose R, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this review, 10 May 2016
Thanks so much Bernadette! It is so rewarding to hear comments like this...its what makes running this business such a pleasure. Hope to see you this summer.
Gander, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2016

I stayed at the Riverfront chalets by the exploits river in Newfoundland with classmates of mine for graduation. We had some complaints about the cleanliness of their hot tub that is outside, we were told that the orange ring around the edge and the jets was iron build up but it still wasn't very clean as there was still leaves and dirt floating in it, which we were told to wait an hour for the filter to clean it out but it never, they list a jacuzzi as an amenity, which we could not use as the water tank didn't supply enough hot water to fill it, also we paid extra as we had six people instead of four and was told that a cot would be set up for us which wasn't done. After we left I called to express my issues about the jacuzzi and cot (we didn't want to call at 12pm when we were going to bed or at 6:30 am when a classmate tried the jacuzzi) and was asked by the owner "what did I want him to do" and told that we should have called no matter the time and that that they never had cots and I was not told that there would be a cot and the "customer is not always right".

I felt unvalued as a customer, I felt the owner Paul could have spoken to me better as a customer.
As a group we spent $350 to stay in this chalet for one night, while the chalet is beautiful, the rooms are clean and the view is great, it is still not acceptable to speak to a customer this way and be made to feel that it was our own problem for not calling him.

• Stayed April 2016, travelled with friends
1 Thank brittney788
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this review, 7 April 2016
Hi Brittany. Although I expected this review I am disappointed to see this posted here. I checked out the hot water tank and it was fine there was nothing wrong. These are appropriately sized tanks but there is only one tubs worth of water available before reheating is required. The tanks for the chalets are not like a hotel as you may have thought an unlimited supply. Maybe your friend added too much cold water while filling and then couldn't get it hot enough but I went over and had no trouble filling the tub with hot water. Regarding sleeping arrangements, I am positive nobody told you we would have cots set up for you if we have never used cots on our property. Our chalets sleep 4 comfortablly as we advertise but if families or group such as yours want to save some money and only rent one chalet we allow 6 people to stay for a small fee for adults over 4. We have an 8 inch memory foam mattress which can be laid on the floor of the living room. As I said when we spoke, although it would be a strange request to set this mattress up before you arrive, we would have. But in the middle of your living space that you would be stepping over all day? However, you arrived, saw there were no cots set up and said nothing even though we were talking to you several times that day. Nor did you open one of only three doors in the chalet to discover the mattress? As for the tub, you called and said the tub was "dirty". We went over immediately and scrubbed the iron ring off the side of the tub and checked chemicals. We explained to you that we are having an iron problem that sporadically foals the tub when we are adding water and are awaiting a service technician to fix the problem (incidentally they just left the chalets and completed the required work). Meanwhile we had to add a metal remover to the tub water to bring the iron out which cause a ring on the tub. The water tested perfectly safe as was crystal clear and the iron was not harmful. You said you were fine with this so we thought everything was OK. Now when you went down there was a few pieces of lint and debris floating on the surface which would have eventually been filtered out. When the tub is used, things like that end up in the water from clothes etc. It is a communal tub shared between 4 chalets and it doesn't power filter 24 hours a day, but in cycles, but is always filtering.The hot tub is one of the highlights of staying here, but expectations have to be different than a private hot tub. You told me you went down immediately after people got out. Chemically the tub was perfect but if you want no debris, then you can't jump in immediately after another group jumps out. Incidentally, I knew there was a birthday party that night and the tub would likely get some heavy use, so around 8 the next morning I went to check on it in case it need servicing. It was crystal clear and full of water. With all these accusations that were inaccurate I just couldn't help think that you were just fishing to get money back. I asked you what you wanted me to do twice in writing and conversation to which you were silent. Now I have no issue offering refunds and credits if we were at fault or if customers were disturbed by other customers. Not often has it happened but when it has I certainly acted quickly and in a more than fair manner. But in your case I did say "the customer is not always right" because I felt you were trying to take advantage of us. I know most people consider this comment is not good business sense and I don't think I said it in a rude tone. If I came across that way I apologize. I don't feel that the customer is always right as a customer or as a business owner but one thing I am is honest and devoted to the chalets and customers, and I take pride in our business. I would like to say in closing that I appreciate your calm and pleasant tone during our conversations and compliments on the chalets and view. I hope to think that I was equally as courteous during these conversations despite how you felt about "the customer is not always right" comment. At the end of our conversations you said a simple apology was all you wanted which I apologized by saying, and I quote, "I am sorry that our establishment and service was not up to your expectations". I just wish you had told me that in our first conversation when I asked you what you wanted me to do for you....maybe things would have been different if you had and I would have had a different impression of what you were trying to accomplish. I apologize for the long response folks but some things must be said. Thank you Brittany for coming out and I hope there are no hard feelings.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2016

The amazing:
-the view from the chalets is breathtaking, even in the winter as you overlook the frozen water.
-location is fantastic. Just outside the main city centre but also far enough that it feels a little isolated.

The good:
-the inside of the chalets is also very nice, with wood everywhere to give it that lodge feel.
-really roomy bathrooms with a lovely jacuzzi.
-love the way there are separate electronic thermostats everywhere and they are very accurate.
-easy check-in and check-out with the key waiting for us.
-everything you need, including dishes and anything you need to cook with, is at the chalet. Saw our neighbors BBQing.
-there's an outdoor hot tub (albeit, it didn't seem very clean...with some gross stuff floating around. Might have been just from frequent use that day, since I don't think there are any other complaints about that on here)

The not-so-good:
-couldn't find the remote for the TV so had to stand up and use the satellite box each time we wanted to change a channel.
-there isn't any wi-fi BUT i totally get why there isn't - they have the pay for the bandwidth or whatever you call it. I guess due to the location. AND, people are not exactly coming here to use the wi-fi. They come here to get away from it all. We were here on business, so I guess we're unique.
-I moved the couch to get closer to the lamp, and there was a q-tip under the couch. I really don't mind, but it might indicate how closely the cleaners pay attention to the place...

Overall, I think this seems like a really great spot and we'd come back in the summer for sure.

• Stayed February 2016, travelled on business
1 Thank Newfiechick1
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this review, 3 April 2016
Hi. Thanks for all the wonderful compliments! I have been trying to respond to this now since the day you posted but seemed like technical difficulties on Tripadvisors end. It works fine now though. To address to your comments, yes if the hot tub is under heavy use it might now have had time to filter before you got it. Not sure what to say about the remote? Did you call us? I know I bought a new one some time ago because one went missing but they have all been there for some time. But if you come back and are missing anything or even forgot something, please just give us a call. With regards to the q-tip, I know cleaning staff has been doing an awesome job but I also know that some days when 4 are checking out and 4 more in he doesn't have time to pull ALL the furniture and appliances as the time between check in and check out can be minimal IF people check out late and others check in at 3. Does not often happen and we try to find out ETAs to plan for it, but somedays its just super busy! Glad you had a nice stay and thanks so much for your review and input.
Paul

Been to Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland? Share your experiences!